Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cantcope
    • By cantcope 25th Feb 08, 8:35 AM
    • 1,737Posts
    • 1,294Thanks
    cantcope
    I've done it
    • 25th Feb 08, 8:35 AM
    I've done it 25th Feb 08 at 8:35 AM
    It's payday today which means i will be giving my last payment of 900 to my folks and be debt free
    When i first wrote on here about my debt due to gambling i never in a million years thought i could do it. So thanks to everyone on here for the courage and support you gave me, and continued to give me through the last few years. Without this thread i could have taken a very different road as i thought i was a lost cause.

Time to move on now, I am buying a flat of my own again after having to move home and will be recieving some inheritance soon that will be paying the deposit/fees etc.
    I will definitely take all the tips and advice given here with me.

Thank you xx
    my eyes are like mirrors. They reflect whats going on around me rather than whats inside
    Original debt May 06 16569,25th Feb 08 DEBT FREE

Last bet : 26th October 2006
Page 1
  • In Search Of Me
    • 25th Feb 08, 8:40 AM
    • 25th Feb 08, 8:40 AM
    Congratulations!
    Thats fab! Really encouraging! Why not write a bit about how you got there to shw people that it can be done how you did it! Dead chuffed for you - must be a load off!
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• tinkerbel
    • By tinkerbel 25th Feb 08, 8:43 AM
    • 1,787 Posts
    • 4,903 Thanks
    tinkerbel
    • 25th Feb 08, 8:43 AM
    • 25th Feb 08, 8:43 AM
    Woooooo! Well done!
    • cyclonebri1
    • By cyclonebri1 25th Feb 08, 8:46 AM
    • 12,547 Posts
    • 5,178 Thanks
    cyclonebri1
    • 25th Feb 08, 8:46 AM
    • 25th Feb 08, 8:46 AM
    One of the few vices I don't have, :rolleyes: but congratulations are in order, and nice that you came back with the thanks to those that helped
  • pineapple_head
    • 25th Feb 08, 8:49 AM
    • 25th Feb 08, 8:49 AM
    Congratulations!!!
    Well Done
    "I'd much rather have a caravan in the hills than a mansion in the slums" Neil Finn

The Norn Iron Weight Loss Club Member 14
    • BACKFRMTHEEDGE
    • By BACKFRMTHEEDGE 25th Feb 08, 8:53 AM
    • 1,198 Posts
    • 1,872 Thanks
    BACKFRMTHEEDGE
    • 25th Feb 08, 8:53 AM
    • 25th Feb 08, 8:53 AM
    CONGRATULATIONS - I will be joining you very soon.:beer :
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step

Savings For Kids 1st Jan 2018 16,112
    • penguin83
    • By penguin83 25th Feb 08, 8:58 AM
    • 4,787 Posts
    • 13,105 Thanks
    penguin83
    • 25th Feb 08, 8:58 AM
    • 25th Feb 08, 8:58 AM

Dont forget to add yourself to the roll of honour x x
    Pay Debt by Xmas 16 - 0/12000
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.
    • tinker15
    • By tinker15 25th Feb 08, 8:59 AM
    • 1,318 Posts
    • 6,206 Thanks
    tinker15
    • 25th Feb 08, 8:59 AM
    • 25th Feb 08, 8:59 AM
    Congratulations, it must be a weight of your shoulders!
    Good luck with everything in the future.
    • cantcope
    • By cantcope 25th Feb 08, 9:01 AM
    • 1,737 Posts
    • 1,294 Thanks
    cantcope
    • 25th Feb 08, 9:01 AM
    • 25th Feb 08, 9:01 AM
    Thanks everyone. I've updated my Sig now what's the roll of honour?
    my eyes are like mirrors. They reflect whats going on around me rather than whats inside

• mumofjusttwo
    • By mumofjusttwo 25th Feb 08, 9:04 AM
    • 2,602 Posts
    • 40,789 Thanks
    mumofjusttwo
    Well done Cantcope. I hope that you can smile at your user name because it certainly seems that you can
    • immoral_angeluk
    • By immoral_angeluk 25th Feb 08, 9:06 AM
    • 23,754 Posts
    • 22,635 Thanks
    immoral_angeluk
    Well done that's great!!!!!!
    Total 'Failed Business' Debt 29,043
    Que sera, sera. <3
  • debt free me
    Congratulations! As a previous poster said, let us know how you did it. I can't wait to be debt free, must be a huge weight lifted and you must have a feeling of freedom. You are one of the many inspirations to all of us!
    • cantcope
    • By cantcope 25th Feb 08, 9:22 AM
    • 1,737 Posts
    • 1,294 Thanks
    cantcope
    How i did it? Sweat and tears mainly lol
    Before i moved home i saved money by writing a diary of everything i spent and changed all my shopping habits so that i was cooking from scratch rather than buying ready meals. I also used all my luncheon vouchers from doing pinecone to go towards food.
    I joined pigsback and used the boots vouchers i got for toiletries only ever buying bogof's. It did get very depressing so i "treated" myself to a magazine subscription using my tesco vouchers. My friends were all told how much money i owed which made it easier for me to explain why i couldnt go out or buy expensive gifts and luckily for me they gave me lots of girls nights in with games/wine/dvds etc
    I sold loads of stuff on ebay including some old broken gold jewellery (amazing prices paid for scrap gold). And also did a few bootsales. I downgraded my car which in turn made my tax and insurance cheaper. I used some tesco vouchers to get RAC cover on the older car. It wasnt easy and at times i did want to give up.

When my folks suggested moving home i did that once my lease was up on the flat i was renting (last feb). This was my biggest sacrifice i think as i've lived alone for 7 years and couldnt imagine being back home. this free'd up a lot of my salary so i could pay the debt back quicker. I made sure i had enough money for at least one decent night out a month so that i wouldnt be tempted to chuck it all in and try and "win" a night out.

I go to GA every week and regularly keep in contact with the people there which is keeping me on the straight and narrow. Things will be tight when i first move out but I know i can cope with it as i've coped with far worse and it will be worth it to have my independence back. I know that my parents have been fabulous and generous letting me move back home and i will always be grateful for that. But i must admit i cant wait to move out again x
    Last edited by cantcope; 25-02-2008 at 9:30 AM.

• sparky0107
    • By sparky0107 25th Feb 08, 9:26 AM
    • 3,487 Posts
    • 21,429 Thanks
    sparky0107
    Thanks everyone. I've updated my Sig now what's the roll of honour?
    Originally posted by cantcope
    The debt free roll of honour.
    Congratulations on becoming debt free, thats what we're all here for good on you

Sparky0107 - Sealed pot challenge member #002. Total for SPC3 1,030.57 Total For SPC 4 2247.00 Total for SPC 5 2574.62 Total for SPC 6 4552.91
    LC2 & Jakes-Mum are off their heads :rotfl
    DEBT FREE AS OF 20/01/2012
    • prophecy_grrl
    • By prophecy_grrl 25th Feb 08, 9:33 AM
    • 668 Posts
    • 3,379 Thanks
    prophecy_grrl
    Well done, you give the rest of us hope!
    *** PROPHECY_GRRL***
    *** DEBT FREE AS OF 17/10/11 - I DID IT!!! ***
    • kizzykizzywizzy
    • By kizzykizzywizzy 25th Feb 08, 9:33 AM
    • 6,768 Posts
    • 15,125 Thanks
    kizzykizzywizzy
    Well done Enjoy your new debt free life - you've earned it
    Comping again - wins so far : 2 V festival tix, 2 NFL tix, 6 bottles of wine, personalised hand soap, Aussie miracle conditioner

Married my best friend 15/4/16
    • boredofbeingathome
    • By boredofbeingathome 25th Feb 08, 9:34 AM
    • 15,386 Posts
    • 37,539 Thanks
    boredofbeingathome
    Well done, a very heart warming story which shows it can be done. I have been talking to a student who is in a similar situation and i am going to post a link to this thread. I hope he will contact you.
    Blackadder: Am I jumping the gun, Baldrick, or are the words 'I have a cunning plan' marching with ill-deserved confidence in the direction of this conversation?
    Still lurking around with a hope of some salvation
  • G-G
    what an inspiring story.. well done to you xx
    BSC Member 155
    • cantcope
    • By cantcope 25th Feb 08, 9:41 AM
    • 1,737 Posts
    • 1,294 Thanks
    cantcope
    found my original thread. although i had posted about my debt before this, this is when i really bit the bullet and started to do something about it. It seems so desperate, i can remember the thoughts going around in my head that first day like they were yesterday

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=200472

• alec eiffel
    • By alec eiffel 25th Feb 08, 9:56 AM
    • 1,303 Posts
    • 10,297 Thanks
    alec eiffel
    Congratulations! Godd luck and enjoy the new flat.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,630Posts Today

4,820Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • "Sabrina, you're young. I'm not sure you've the experience I'm looking for in a business partner." Eh? Isn't the pr? https://t.co/IeTxBQq2OU

• I am predicting the word myself will be misused 6 times in today;s boardroom. What do yourself think? #TheApprentice

• Not sure how I ever succeeded running a successful entreprise? After all my gardening and garden design skills are? https://t.co/FFnvkjsGDU

• Follow Martin