Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    In Search Of Me
    You know your'e a DFW when you...
    • 19th Feb 08, 6:32 PM
    You know your'e a DFW when you... 19th Feb 08 at 6:32 PM
    Ok pepys time for some amusement! I was just looking in a cupboard for a juicer & couldnt find it - my first thought was have I sold it! Made me think you know you're a DFW when you do various things and it would be nice to have a thread with some light relief so here's my few...

1) You start making bread, marmalade & cooking from scratch
    2) You hunt the whole internet and try to go through quidco for all spends
    3) You see a man in Mr T tutting "rip off" about the price of bread & wonder if he's "one of your lot"
    4) Friends come to ask your advice on the best deals & where to get them
    5) You have a martin lewis car sticker!
    6) Things like using 1/2 a washing tablet are now the norm...
    7) You proudly walk into lidl & aldi rather than hanging your head in shame as you once did

Feel free to add yours & hopefully we can chucckle at the simularities & maybe even learn some new ways while we're at it!!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 26-02-2008 at 5:20 PM.
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

Page 1
  • Scarlett.1974
    • 19th Feb 08, 6:41 PM
    • 19th Feb 08, 6:41 PM
    You refuse to let anyone use the phone until after 6.00pm because calls are free then.
    You feel incredibly upset if a internet purchase can't be made through quidco or pigsback.
    You go around the house turning the lights off muttering about "bloody Blackpool illuminations".
    You say at least once a day "HOW much?????"

I'm sure I'll think of more......
    You can't control everything in life....... your hair was put on your head to remind you of that

Proud to be BSC no. 103
    • sparky0107
    • By sparky0107 19th Feb 08, 6:54 PM
    • 3,487 Posts
    • 21,429 Thanks
    sparky0107
    • 19th Feb 08, 6:54 PM
    • 19th Feb 08, 6:54 PM
    Permanently walking with your head down looking for dropped coins to add to the sealed pot challenge
    Sparky0107 - Sealed pot challenge member #002. Total for SPC3 1,030.57 Total For SPC 4 2247.00 Total for SPC 5 2574.62 Total for SPC 6 4552.91
    LC2 & Jakes-Mum are off their heads :rotfl
    DEBT FREE AS OF 20/01/2012
    • cuddlymarm
    • By cuddlymarm 19th Feb 08, 6:57 PM
    • 1,188 Posts
    • 6,124 Thanks
    cuddlymarm
    • 19th Feb 08, 6:57 PM
    • 19th Feb 08, 6:57 PM
    • Your socks don't match (but it doesn't matter because they are under your boots,
    • You decide whats for your next meal by whats due to go off 1st in the fridge (and see how far you can get the contents of your cupboards to stretch before you buy more)
    • You try not to buy anything unless ABSOLUTELY necessary (and then check charity shops and sales first).
    • You have a list of OS things that you would like as a pressie in case anyone asks what you want for your birthday/Christmas
    • Theres knitted and quilted blankets all over your living room so you don't get cold (and your gas bill doesn't get big)
    • p00pieb0tt0m
    • By p00pieb0tt0m 19th Feb 08, 7:11 PM
    • 218 Posts
    • 165 Thanks
    p00pieb0tt0m
    • 19th Feb 08, 7:11 PM
    • 19th Feb 08, 7:11 PM
    You say at least once a day "HOW much?????"
    Originally posted by Scarlett.1974

Thats not DFW thats Yorkshire
  • Scarlett.1974
    • 19th Feb 08, 7:16 PM
    • 19th Feb 08, 7:16 PM
    Thats not DFW thats Yorkshire
    Originally posted by p00pieb0tt0m
    I'm from the Midlands though :confused:
    You can't control everything in life....... your hair was put on your head to remind you of that

Proud to be BSC no. 103
    • lauradora
    • By lauradora 19th Feb 08, 7:21 PM
    • 1,365 Posts
    • 4,661 Thanks
    lauradora
    • 19th Feb 08, 7:21 PM
    • 19th Feb 08, 7:21 PM

I nodded to all of the above!!!!!

the worst one with me is I sneer at friends and family when they spend money on ANYTHING!!! ESPECIALLY when its on a credit card....and if its an egg card well don't get me started.

My other one is i've started asking people to print me out there SOA so I can go through them and show them where they can cut corners

Still in debt but happy
    DFW nerd no 844

• In Search Of Me
    • 19th Feb 08, 7:24 PM
    • 19th Feb 08, 7:24 PM
    love the name poopie!! and the quote scarlett - my hair is definate proof!! Keep em coming!
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• oopalah
    • By oopalah 19th Feb 08, 7:39 PM
    • 396 Posts
    • 1,603 Thanks
    oopalah
    • 19th Feb 08, 7:39 PM
    • 19th Feb 08, 7:39 PM
    I was just looking in a cupboard for a juicer & couldnt find it - my first thought was have I sold it!
    Originally posted by In Search Of Me
    This reminded me of something I did the other day. I was searching for an antique cakestand I had as I wanted to sell it on ebay. I searched everywhere for about an hour and a half, and then I realised I'd already sold it about a year ago!
    Sealed Pot challenge #59
    SPC5 total 473.60
    • kizzykizzywizzy
    • By kizzykizzywizzy 19th Feb 08, 7:40 PM
    • 6,768 Posts
    • 15,125 Thanks
    kizzykizzywizzy
    I agree with all of the above
    You know you are a dfw when instead of watching your favourite programme, you sit working out how much you will have paid off in 3 months ( or is this just me:confused: )
    Your house smells of white vinegar
    Your poor postman has to knock your door all the time, because your free samples won't fit through the letterbox

I'm sure there's more
    Comping again - wins so far : 2 V festival tix, 2 NFL tix, 6 bottles of wine, personalised hand soap, Aussie miracle conditioner

Married my best friend 15/4/16
    • Prudent
    • By Prudent 19th Feb 08, 7:58 PM
    • 11,212 Posts
    • 48,844 Thanks
    Prudent
    You have a box in a cupboard to store up Boots glitches, Tesco misprices and comp prizes for birthday and Christmas pressies.

Even the car gets washed with stardrops.

You are more interested in finding coupons in your 3 issues for 1 magazines than you are in reading them.

You have a special section of your purse/ wallet for coupons and you open this first at the checkout.
    • Sassers
    • By Sassers 19th Feb 08, 8:01 PM
    • 1,254 Posts
    • 8,113 Thanks
    Sassers
    Your poor postman has to knock your door all the time, because your free samples won't fit through the letterbox
    Originally posted by kizzykizzywizzy
    LMAO
    Current debt and mortgage: 26, 411 Debt/Mortgage at start: 92,598 (27/09/2010) Paid off so far: 66, 187
    • immoral_angeluk
    • By immoral_angeluk 19th Feb 08, 8:27 PM
    • 23,754 Posts
    • 22,635 Thanks
    immoral_angeluk
    Definately!!!! Although I would have a car sticker... if I wasn't too tight to buy the stamps to go with the self addressed envelope!
    Total 'Failed Business' Debt 29,043
    Que sera, sera. <3
    • lynzpower
    • By lynzpower 19th Feb 08, 8:31 PM
    • 24,746 Posts
    • 39,940 Thanks
    lynzpower
    you only send 2nd class!
    Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast
  • deliciosa
    - you are about to make a financial decision and you come here and post a thread about it BEFORE you discuss with your friends/fam
    - you are in heavens when at the end of the day you can say you had an NSD
    - you have a product you usually buy (like diet coke for me) and you can tell exactly at this moment how much it is in tesco, saisburys, asda, lidl, waitrose and, how many cans are in a package and how much is it per can and if there was any 2for1 deal on any of these places lately on your product....
    - you understand what dfw, nsd, bogof, bogohp, oh, dh, ds, cc, cap, cccs, dca, ts, oft, cca, cag etc mean
    - you have at least two ongoing "challenges" at any one time
    Total debt 3625.07.
    Goals: 1.) DFD December 2008 (snowball) / October 2008 (me ) 2.) Salary 30kpa (currently 26450pa) 3.) Slim down to 55kg (currently 68kg ) 4.) Start stoozing
    I do not NEED that DVD Tough love club Member #1
  • deliciosa
    not to mention SOA....
    Total debt 3625.07.
    Goals: 1.) DFD December 2008 (snowball) / October 2008 (me ) 2.) Salary 30kpa (currently 26450pa) 3.) Slim down to 55kg (currently 68kg ) 4.) Start stoozing
    I do not NEED that DVD Tough love club Member #1
    • MrsTinks
    • By MrsTinks 19th Feb 08, 9:18 PM
    • 14,994 Posts
    • 23,044 Thanks
    MrsTinks
    You know you're a DFW when:
    -Someone asks if getting your Tesco delivery isn't expensive and you can tell them how much Tesco have paid you for your shopping and delivering it
    -People call you to explain the potential impact of the N.Rock issues to them...
    -You return from shopping and someone says "oh I have that one! so how much cheaper did you get it cos I KNOW you didn't pay what I did!"
    -You sit quietly at work and people stomp in with perfect strangers saying "THAT'S her - she'll help you sort out your credit cards!"
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's!

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • kittynortheast
    Ate a hot cross bun which was days and days out of date (checked for mould & none to be seen), bit chewy but tasted alright. Cos it's a crime to throw anything out!
    LBM 17th April 2007
    Credit Cards paid - July 2008 Sainsys,M&S, HSBC
    Grocery Challenge 350
    DEBT FREE AND STILL TRYING HARD
  • SarahNeedle1872
    ....when u have been eating the same thing for dinner for the last three days because u made too much and there's no room in the freezer!
    'We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars' - Oscar Wilde
  • sophiesmum
    You know you are a dfw when:
    • The first thing you do each morning is check all your online accounts and log onto mse
    • Anything lurking a day too long in the fridge is made into soup.
    • You can get 4 meals from 1 chicken, and then make stock with what's left.
    • You talk about pap, IA, snaggles, taxi etc, on dfw and expect OH to know who you are on about
    • You don't buy anything unless you check quidco etc first, and then you double check for codes and discounts before finally ordering anything:rolleyes:
    • It is against the law to spend a 2 coin
    • You can't wait to get another boots voucher from pigsback so you can stock up on bogof toiletries and get more boots points
    Reduce,re-use, recycle.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,074Posts Today

9,465Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Major new guide... Brexit, what it means for you and your finances: M mortgages, savings, flights, consumer rights? https://t.co/SXCMG2qXwX

• Have you haggled on the high street in the last year? If so who with and did you succeed? Please vote in this week? https://t.co/fdzmmFfA4u

• Warning: Energy price comparisons are now WRONG due to the price cap - it needs fixing - my letter to Ofgem alerti? https://t.co/vE9IHyM58X

• Follow Martin