Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 18th Feb 08, 1:01 PM
    • 8,111Posts
    • 42,248Thanks
    MSE Martin
    0 WOW
    The Great "Single MoneySaving" Hunt
    • 18th Feb 08, 1:01 PM
    0 WOW
    The Great "Single MoneySaving" Hunt 18th Feb 08 at 1:01 PM
    Being single has its perks: no Valentine’s pressies to buy, free reign over the TV zapper, no one to sneakily finish off the biscuits without telling you. Yet life can also be more costly for single MoneySavers.

So I thought I’d collect your top tips for saving cash while solo. How can you cook cheaply for one, avoid holiday single supplements and get by when you can't split the bills?

Please click reply to add your ideas.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 19-02-2008 at 6:01 PM.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Page 1
    • MrsTinks
    • By MrsTinks 19th Feb 08, 9:46 AM
    • 14,994 Posts
    • 23,044 Thanks
    MrsTinks
    • 19th Feb 08, 9:46 AM
    • 19th Feb 08, 9:46 AM
    Bulk cooking and freezing in one portion size is a must! If you only have a couple of tubs use plastic bags once the food is frozen and pop them into a bag to store so you still have neat shapes
    Buying small amounts of fresh veg etc can be expensive so buy larger amounts that are cheaper like carrot, onion and sweet potato - chop up and freeze loose so you can grab a handful to add to dishes. Much cheaper!
    Last edited by MSE Martin; 26-02-2008 at 11:15 AM.
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's!

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • Fern Merkin
    • 19th Feb 08, 9:58 AM
    • 19th Feb 08, 9:58 AM
    Cooking for one can be a bind. My top money and timesaving idea is cook a lot of something you like and freeze. The meals can last for a month in the freezer and once it's done, it's done for a bit Try to have at least two choices in there at once then it doesn't get too repetitive.

My stalwart recipes at this time of year are Potato Hash and Curry and rice where the rice is cooked in with the curry for last 20 mins. All in one pot then. I have to say I generally only use these as lunches at work but they are much tastier, nutritious and CHEAPER than what's on sale at the butty van.
  • Fern Merkin
    • 19th Feb 08, 9:59 AM
    • 19th Feb 08, 9:59 AM
    Bulk cooking and freezing in one portion size is a must! If you only have a couple of tubs use plastic bags once the food is frozen and pop them into a bag to store so you still have neat shapes
    Buying small amounts of fresh veg etc can be expensive so buy larger amounts that are cheaper like carrot, onion and sweet potato - chop up and freeze loose so you can grab a handful to add to dishes. Much cheaper!
    Originally posted by tine

Great minds!
    • horsechestnut
    • By horsechestnut 19th Feb 08, 10:00 AM
    • 1,410 Posts
    • 2,739 Thanks
    horsechestnut
    • 19th Feb 08, 10:00 AM
    • 19th Feb 08, 10:00 AM
    Thank goodness for margarine tubs!
    Large pressure cooker full of freezable food e.g. Bolognaise sauce, Chilli con carne, Curry, Soup.
    300ml in a 500ml tub and sap in the microwave whilst cooking the pasta or rice.
    Rice can be frozen in sandwich bags.

I don't like frozen veg, so I will prepare them freshly each time. Potatoes in pan, steamer with veg on top and is I am cooking a piece of fish that goes covered on a plate on the very top with a lid on. One ring on the cooker.
  • Fern Merkin
    • 19th Feb 08, 10:29 AM
    • 19th Feb 08, 10:29 AM
    If you are paid monthly, do a monthly shop. Include in this all the things you might need for a month. Tinned products, toilet roll, cleaning fluids etc, any pet foods, personal care, and start the list about a week before you are to shop. Keep jotting down anything you notice running out.

A good comprehensive list will stop you having to pop out to the shop for cat food and spending £10! It's a great opportunity to take advantage of multibuys and special offers ON THE THINGS YOU ACTUALLY NEED

I have to get a taxi when I do this but it is worth the expense as I generally save much more over the month by not being tempted in the shops.
    Last edited by Fern Merkin; 19-02-2008 at 10:34 AM. Reason: poor spelling
  • misskool
    • 19th Feb 08, 2:07 PM
    • 19th Feb 08, 2:07 PM
    Do everything that families and couples do. to save on electricity and gas, turn down the heating to just about bearable, turn off all the lights except the room you're in or if feeling really cheap, use a candle.

Bulk buy things for washing and cleaning in bulk, use it slower because there's only one of you. Share offers in supermarket with another single friend. If holidays have irritating single supplements, go on a free and easy one, book a hostel where you can mix and mingle with people. Or find a friend who will go with you.

Don't forget your council tax rebate!
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 19th Feb 08, 4:33 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 19th Feb 08, 4:33 PM
    • 19th Feb 08, 4:33 PM
    A few other threads that may be of interest...

Single moneysaver living on my own!

Saving Money On Food For a SINGLE person

What can a single person use on this board? (Old Style)

Help a Single Saver

HTH
    Last edited by MSE Martin; 26-02-2008 at 11:16 AM.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
  • Paula4612
    • 19th Feb 08, 5:31 PM
    • 19th Feb 08, 5:31 PM
    Buy meals for two which are not proportinately more expensive than a meal for one and eat for two nights!!!
    • mum2one
    • By mum2one 20th Feb 08, 9:48 AM
    • 16,154 Posts
    • 60,024 Thanks
    mum2one
    if you want a hol look through a wack of brocheres, if your lucky some hotels offer no single rm supplement, or very cheap.

I managed to pick up 2 weeks in Gambia -no single rm supplement - all yr round.

The thingis you need to book early to get the best discounts x
    Tackling the debt free life one day at a time xx
    RIP Dad, - Always love you, - He was 1 in a million xx
  • cwp500
    Have a look at Costco and other large retailers. You can buy in bulk in one hit and if you have the space can make savings. Example, I bought 60 toilet rolls for a tenner and they are still on the go 12 months later.
  • cwp500
    Make wash loads as big as possible. wash all towels, tea towels, bath robes, face cloths together with inside out jeans to save time and money.

If you are super rich, dont load the dish washer until its able to take a full load, a few greasy dishes hanging around inside the machine till its full is no hardship.
  • cwp500
    Hard up tips.
    If you are hard up, please dont be embarrassed about accepting decent cast off clothes from friends or relatives. It is an act of generosity usually and can really save money.

Walk as much as possible to save money.

Dont ever iron anything thats not going to be seen! dont iron pillowcases,sheets,towels,tea towels, facecloths, any undies of any sort, socks, stockings.

If you pat the creases out of jeans, cords and similar materials, and hang them over a radiator dryer rail, you never need to use an iron.

This is serious, when you get used to the idea of abandoning an iron for invisible items and jeans, you save time and money too.
  • cwp500
    We singletons need to stick together.

Please use this thread to feedback any ideas,deals, suggestions etc.

Couples are welcome too!!!
    • Nessa56
    • By Nessa56 20th Feb 08, 1:01 PM
    • 941 Posts
    • 5,139 Thanks
    Nessa56
    Can you freeze fresh veg or do you have to cook it first??

One Tip

Start making a list of things you need about a week before you place the order and stick to it.

Join pigsback and order your monthly shop from Tesco through that site to be delivered to you and you will get money back on every pound you spend, I can't remember how much now but I know it is well worth the delivery charge and also puts a stop to the impulse buys as you are walking around the aisles.

v
    x
    SEALED POT CHALLENGE 6 - MEMBER NUMBER 086 Special Star from Sue
  • cwp500
    Thanks Martin.

This is long overdue and lets hope that everyone helps out here.

Without being too boring, sometimes singles seem to be discriminated against by companies who have marketing directed towards the highest density of consumer; families.

Please contribute to this thread. One of the realities of being a singleton on a very tight budget is not being able to get around to actually FIND the bargains.

Vocal minority time please.
  • caffeinehit
    If you don't have children living with you, housesharing is a brilliant way to save an absolute packet on housing costs, bills and food. And the benefits aren't just financial - it's brilliant having someone to chat to in the evenings and maybe share the cooking, yet still having your own private space within the house. Sites like moveflat.com have adverts from all sorts of people looking for housemates - it's not just party-loving twentysomethings.
  • cwp500
    Can you freeze fresh veg or do you have to cook it first??
    v
    x
    Originally posted by Nessa56
    Cut it fairly small or thin and plunge ( the veg, I mean, not you!) into boiling water for 60 seconds.

Take it out and then plunge into cold or iced water to "blanch" the veg. Let it go cold and then freeze it. Then cook and use as normal.

This helps to seal the goodness, maintain the colour and its ten times better than any of the frozen stuff you buy.

Soft Cooked veg doesnt really freeze as well because the water cells burst and it turns more mushy than the blanching method.
  • twirlez
    If a single householder, get a WATER METER fitted.
    Saved me 50% + on bills and was fitted for free.

Twirlez
    • eco
    • By eco 20th Feb 08, 7:34 PM
    • 1,102 Posts
    • 2,469 Thanks
    eco
    this is to add to cwp500, I once read you shouldn't iron jeans, my mum didn't believe me, but stopped ironing mine, then stopped ironing them all, no one can tell, it's a huge waste of time
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

42Posts Today

2,837Users online

Martin's Twitter