Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    • 20th Jul 05, 10:28 AM
    • 20th Jul 05, 10:28 AM
    YES but don't expect it to be as good when defrosted. It tastes fine (provinding it's not left in too long) but the texture may be a bit crumbly when defrosted.
    So if it's cheap enough to buy for grating and cooking I'd get some.

I usually grate mine in 4oz or 8oz bags for using in cheese sauce, cauliflower cheese etc more or less straight from the freezer.
    • culpepper
    • By culpepper 20th Jul 05, 10:32 AM
    • 3,975 Posts
    • 7,514 Thanks
    culpepper
    • 20th Jul 05, 10:32 AM
    • 20th Jul 05, 10:32 AM
    When we first went to Costco I bought a huge lump of cheese and cut it into slabs and froze it.
    Later I discovered ,if I wrapped the whole block in clingfilm and kept it in the fridge,it would just keep anyway.So long as it is cool and no air can get to it,it seems to be fine.
    • Glad
    • By Glad 20th Jul 05, 10:38 AM
    • 17,957 Posts
    • 39,913 Thanks
    Glad
    • 20th Jul 05, 10:38 AM
    • 20th Jul 05, 10:38 AM
    I've also frozen cheese from costco
    I find it best wrapped in foil and then placed in a freezer bag
    I'm a Board Guide on the Money Savers Arms, Discussion Time, Wales, Competitions, Marriage Relationships & Families, Health and Pet Care boards. However, please do remember, board guides don't read every post. if you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    Compers please read the Comping Guide
  • Squidgy
    • 20th Jul 05, 11:26 AM
    • 20th Jul 05, 11:26 AM
    I never have any problems freezing cheese. I often buy double the quantity I need, get them to cut it in half and wrap it seperatly at the deli then just chuck it in the freezer.
    It's not WHAT you know, it's WHO you know
    • pol
    • By pol 20th Jul 05, 12:35 PM
    • 644 Posts
    • 1,563 Thanks
    pol
    • 20th Jul 05, 12:35 PM
    • 20th Jul 05, 12:35 PM
    I always keep grated cheese in the freezer. I usually buy a big block when it's on offer, grate it and keep it in a bag. Just remember to shake a couple of times during freezing to stop it sticking together.

I just take out a handful when I make quiche or cheese pie, it's great for a quick cheese on toast too or topping pasta. I do find that the the harder cheeses freeze best though (red leicester, cheddar, double gloucester).

pol
  • trafalgar
    • 20th Jul 05, 12:43 PM
    • 20th Jul 05, 12:43 PM
    You can freeze almost any cheese for up to three months but as Ted said it does alter the texture..................but don't freeze cottage cheese
    • sooz
    • By sooz 20th Jul 05, 1:01 PM
    • 4,505 Posts
    • 4,835 Thanks
    sooz
    • 20th Jul 05, 1:01 PM
    • 20th Jul 05, 1:01 PM
    I always keep grated cheese in the freezer. I usually buy a big block when it's on offer, grate it and keep it in a bag. Just remember to shake a couple of times during freezing to stop it sticking together.

I just take out a handful when I make quiche or cheese pie, it's great for a quick cheese on toast too or topping pasta. I do find that the the harder cheeses freeze best though (red leicester, cheddar, double gloucester).

pol
    by pol
    me too. also find it really handy to add some grated, still frozen, cheese to my son's hot food....extra dairy/calcium, and it cools down his shepherds pie, pasta, etc faster.
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 20th Jul 05, 1:21 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 20th Jul 05, 1:21 PM
    • 20th Jul 05, 1:21 PM
    A bit of grated cheese added to a hot chilli takes the edge off the spices too. In fact any dairy product does.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
  • SomersetPrincess
    Just my vote for freezing cheese too - I stock up when I do a monthly shop, lop it up into chunks and freeze it. It does become a bit crumbly but we still use it in sandwiches.
    Kirsty, Taunton, xxx
  • greenlogo
    I don't know if it's true or not, but I was always told that you needed to grate cheese for it to freeze evenly due to the high fat content?
    Pre O/S: what's a vitamin? Does it begin with the letter e?Now: I'm not eating any of that pre-made rubbish...
    • JoBatch80
    • By JoBatch80 20th Jul 05, 3:03 PM
    • 2,136 Posts
    • 2,546 Thanks
    JoBatch80
    I once accidentally froze those processed cheese slice things (I hate them = boyf has them on home made burgers) and when I realised, I pulled them out. They seemed fine (but would probably survive a nuclear fallout anyway )

Jo xx
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    A bit of grated cheese added to a hot chilli takes the edge off the spices too. In fact any dairy product does.
    by squeaky
    I think that is why a lot of curries have yoghurt added. If you've made your curry a bit too hot then stir in some yoghurt.
    • r.mac
    • By r.mac 20th Jul 05, 3:57 PM
    • 4,736 Posts
    • 15,803 Thanks
    r.mac
    I freeze cheese - today's experiment is defrosting some dolcelatte.

Will report back!
    r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
    Originally posted by aless02
    I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response
  • trafalgar
    I don't know if it's true or not, but I was always told that you needed to grate cheese for it to freeze evenly due to the high fat content?
    by greenlogo
    never heard that one but it is better grated as it's more crumbly when defrosted ,therefore harder to grate as such.........so better done before hand
  • Turning_into_scrooge
    I have always frozen cheese grated or still in the block. Never had a problem with it. One thing though don't try and defrost it in the microwave let it defrost on its own in the fridge, for health/safety reasons
    • megsykins
    • By megsykins 21st Jul 05, 2:53 AM
    • 208 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    megsykins
    Just a tip, (particularly for ppl dieting - although you prbably already know this).

Take an extra few minutes grating and bagging your cheese and bag it in portions. (E.G SW Healthy B portion is 1oz, so weigh out 1oz and bag it) then you know exactly how much you're having :-) I also do this with cheese just kept normally in fridge cos it makes life a bit easier.
    • r.mac
    • By r.mac 21st Jul 05, 8:42 AM
    • 4,736 Posts
    • 15,803 Thanks
    r.mac
    I promised to report back, so here we go.

It is official - Dolcelatte freezes and defrosts really well.

I used it in risotto last night and it was perfect. :
    r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
    Originally posted by aless02
    I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response
  • ET03
    thanks folks
    will buy some next time on offer and try
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 21st Jul 05, 9:04 AM
    • 9,158 Posts
    • 16,994 Thanks
    calleyw
    We have been freezing cheese for ages as I don't like it and my mum can get huge blocks off the market for about 2.

He cuts it up then wraps it in greaseproof and in to a tupperware container. That way he can pull exactly what he wants.

Other wise it just crumbles when you try and cut. And makes a mess everywhere.

Yours

Calley
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

572Posts Today

6,028Users online

Martin's Twitter