Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • celticfc
    • By celticfc 19th Jul 05, 5:20 PM
    • 121Posts
    • 48Thanks
    36 years old,Pensioned off from and advice please
    • #1
    • 19th Jul 05, 5:20 PM
    36 years old,Pensioned off from and advice please 19th Jul 05 at 5:20 PM
    I'm 36 years old and work for Tesco's, in a distribution warehouse. I have been off sick from work for nearly 7 months. In this time I have been recieving SSP and family tax credit.

    I went in to work this morning for a meeting with the personnel dept. On the advice of my doctor's report and the company nurse's report, it has been decided that I should be pensioned off from work due to ill health. I have worked since I was 17 years old, 5 years with tesco. The pensions dept will take between 4 and 9 weeks to decide if i will get a pension, although the reports do go in my favour. I have severe problems with my back, as yet i have recieved no confirmed diagnosis, just idea's as to what could be wrong from doctors, so called speciallists and the physio's that I have seen. Each one coming up with a different opinion. I am waiting for a referral to a specialist back clinic

    I have no idea which is the best way forward for me from here, I have never claimed any benefits and so therefore do not understand if I am able to get any benefits or financial help. I do not know which way to turn. I have a wife, 4 children and a mortgage. I really don't know what to do. My wife works an hour a day as a dinner lady, she had no need to work full time as I was up until the last few months the breadwinner and provider for my family.

    can anyone advise on which is the best way to go from here.
Page 1
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    • #2
    • 19th Jul 05, 5:43 PM
    • #2
    • 19th Jul 05, 5:43 PM
    Incapacity Benefit (this link will take you to the Jobcentre Plus website)
    Will take over from Statutory Sick Pay when this runs out. However if your pension is more that £85 a week your IB will be reduced 50p for each £1 over. However this doesn't apply if you are on High Rate Care DLA So you also need to have a look at Disability Living Allowance (DLA) and then
    Disability Living Allowance and Attendance Allowance self ...
    Edit I should have made it clear that if you feel you qualify for DLA YOU SHOULD CLAIM STRAIGHT AWAY. DLA cannot be backdated and so the sooner you claim the sooner you benefit.

    It is unfortunate but true that back pain, particularly undiagnosed, is regarded by the senior medical DWP advisers as for the most part a hysterical condition. It follows that when you are assessed by DWP Medical Services Doctors they will be looking for signs of what they refer to as "functional overlay"
    The Corporate Medical Group (dwp Medical advice) published guidance to Medical Services doctors regarding back pain is here
    Mechanical Back Pain / non specific Back Pain helpscreen - [PDF file size 17KB]
    I think you would be well advised to pay the £15 joining fee so you can benefit from the up to dates guides to claiming Disability living allowance, attendance allowance , incapacity
    Free guides to claiming disability living allowance, attendance

    As it is a very steep learning curve to ensure you get all the help you are entitled to it would be worth your while to go through it all with a local welfare rights professional. CLSDIRECT will help you find one in your area.

    I don't really want to depress you further but you do need to be aware of the current thrust of Government policy when it comes to proving you are unfit for work through back pain.
    New statistics reveal that the growth of benefit claims for back pain in the UK is now starting to reverse - so was back pain a twentieth century epidemic?
    DWP advice to GP's
    Last edited by Ted_Hutchinson; 19-07-2005 at 8:04 PM.
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 19th Jul 05, 10:29 PM
    • 6,570 Posts
    • 5,062 Thanks
    • #3
    • 19th Jul 05, 10:29 PM
    • #3
    • 19th Jul 05, 10:29 PM
    Your employer has an obligation to exercise a duty of care towards you. I would seriously consider alternative options before accepting a pension deal, as you may have a long time to regret a hasty decision.I would strongly advise seeking assistance from your union to deal with this. What support mechanisms has your employer put in place to deal with your issues? Have you asked for assistance to retrain to enable you to fulfill your commitments to your wife and family as well as to your employer?
    From a medical perspective ask your GP for a referral to a neurosurgeon and request an MRI - this is the scan of choice for your condition (been there and wore the tee shirt).
    I'm an accredited union steward and i would urge you to seek help from an experienced steward without delay.
    Donít be a canít, be a can.
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 13th Aug 05, 10:57 PM
    • 6,570 Posts
    • 5,062 Thanks
    • #4
    • 13th Aug 05, 10:57 PM
    • #4
    • 13th Aug 05, 10:57 PM
    Has this progressed?
    Donít be a canít, be a can.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,702Posts Today

7,039Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've decided my weekend starts here while the sun's glow is still baskable. So I'm signing off. Have a great weeke?

  • No not correct. The big six do, but you can get fixed tariffs guaranteed not to rise and about 25% cheaper. Just tr?

  • Baaaa! Scottish Power has bleated and followed the herd, today announcing it's putting up energy prices by 5.5%. R?

  • Follow Martin