Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 5th Feb 08, 8:17 PM
    • 13,808Posts
    • 15,843Thanks
    squeaky
    Quick Questions on reheating
    • 5th Feb 08, 8:17 PM
    Quick Questions on reheating 5th Feb 08 at 8:17 PM
    Hi everyone,

We have hundreds of very short threads on reheating things, and mostly they just need a quick yes or no answer.

So here is our brand new Quick Questions on reheating thread.

You can reheat most foods after freezing, or cool storage, with the basic rule being to ensure that the food is piping hot throughout - which means a minimum temperature of 72C everywhere.

Rice is a common question - if it is cooled quickly and stored in the fridge or freezer as soon as possible then it should be OK to defrost (in the microwave for speed is best) and to reheat. The problem with rice isn't so much the bacteria that can multiply in it - proper reheating will kill them off - but the toxins that these bacteria produce... and these toxins are NOT affected by reheating. See:- - Reheating rice - Caution

So... over to you
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
Page 1
  • NicolaH
    • 12th May 08, 3:07 PM
    Reheating hm quiche..
    • 12th May 08, 3:07 PM
    I've defrosted some bacon today and cooked it and put it in a quiche.. am I able to reheat a piece of my quiche for tea tonight? will it be safe? I am going to freeze the rest.. Thanks..
  • joey
    • 12th May 08, 3:09 PM
    • 12th May 08, 3:09 PM
    Should be o.k my hubby does it all the time. I prefer my quiche cold!
  • NicolaH
    • 12th May 08, 3:12 PM
    • 12th May 08, 3:12 PM
    That's great.. thanks for your quick reply..
    • purplepatch
    • By purplepatch 7th Jul 08, 6:34 PM
    • 2,524 Posts
    • 1,507 Thanks
    purplepatch
    • 7th Jul 08, 6:34 PM
    How to reheat an oven baked jacket spud
    • 7th Jul 08, 6:34 PM
    Just cooking DH a spud for dinner in the oven, but poor love has come in feeling sick and gone to bed.

He said he will take it with him to work and reheat for lunch tomorrow, but would be grateful for any tips on how long to microwave it for, on what power, etc for the best results. He can't bear microwaved jacket spuds usually unless they are crisped up in the oven, but that isn't an option for him as there is only a microwave available. I'm hoping the fact that it is already oven baked, will mean it is ok when microwaved.

Should I do anything special with it when it comes out, or just let it cool down and leave it whole in the fridge overnight? Any advice gratefully received.

• mandy_moo_1
    • 7th Jul 08, 8:14 PM
    • 7th Jul 08, 8:14 PM
    whenever i have the oven on, i part m/wave potatoes, then stick them in the oven to crisp up. when they're cold, i freeze them

so whenever i fancy a jacket spud, i can take it straight out of the freezer, put it in the m/wave on defrost for 2mins, then on "heat" for 2 mins, and they've always been fine x

• David333
    • By David333 6th Oct 08, 7:44 PM
    • 682 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    David333
    • 6th Oct 08, 7:44 PM
    How to reheat... .
    • 6th Oct 08, 7:44 PM
    So I had some mince tonight and cooked enough for two. One portion has now gone into the freezer. I was just wondering how exactly I reheat it (probably a stupid question...). If I get it out the day before and allow it to thaw in the fridge, do I then...errr...? How do I reheat it please...? Thank you... .
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 6th Oct 08, 7:50 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    • 6th Oct 08, 7:50 PM
    • 6th Oct 08, 7:50 PM
    Hi David,

You can either re-heat gently over a low heat it in a pan on the hob or zap it in the microwave for a couple of minutes.

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 06-10-2008 at 8:01 PM.
    • kippers
    • By kippers 12th Oct 08, 7:05 AM
    • 1,970 Posts
    • 6,035 Thanks
    kippers
    • 12th Oct 08, 7:05 AM
    Can I reheat an apple crumble?...
    • 12th Oct 08, 7:05 AM
    Can i make my apple crumble now and reheat while eating our sunday roast today?

I have my mum and stepdad coming today for dinner and my kitchen is tiny, so i don't want to be doing my veg, cutting meat while trying to make my apple crumble.

What do you sunday roast cooks do?
    • FunkyFairy
    • By FunkyFairy 12th Oct 08, 7:10 AM
    • 844 Posts
    • 1,960 Thanks
    FunkyFairy
    Yes you can reheat no worries. In the microwave for a few mins or put it in the oven on a low heat while you eat your main.
    • kippers
    • By kippers 12th Oct 08, 7:14 AM
    • 1,970 Posts
    • 6,035 Thanks
    kippers
    Thanks

How long and do you mean low as say gas 4? (I haven't got a microwave as kitchen is just too small to accomodate one).

To give an idea of size, I will be using 1lb cooking apples and 6oz flour etc in recipe.
  • apple_mint
    I've also reheated my apple / blackberry crumbles in the microwave with no problems at all.
    Enjoying an MSE OS life
  • apple_mint
    Sorry I don't have a gas oven so I'm not sure of the temperatures. I used to cook my crumbles in the main oven at 180 C for 25 minutes (I now cook them in my remoska ). To reheat in an oven I'd probably have it a bit lower than this and gently warm through for about 15 minutes or so - trying not to brown the top too much more.
    Enjoying an MSE OS life
    • Pitlanepiglet
    • By Pitlanepiglet 12th Oct 08, 7:52 AM
    • 2,106 Posts
    • 11,267 Thanks
    Pitlanepiglet
    I'd probably assemble the crumble now and then put it in the oven on gas 3/4 for half an hour or so later....our oven seems to be quite hot so I always go a bit lower than usual.

If you cook it now and then reheat it, you might have to watch it carefully to make sure it doesn't get too brown and that might spoil your lunch?
    Piglet
    • pandora205
    • By pandora205 12th Oct 08, 7:56 AM
    • 2,855 Posts
    • 2,698 Thanks
    pandora205
    Gas mark 4 would be fine. Just check it's piping hot before serving.

I sometimes cook extra crumbles in ramekins and freeze as they make quick and easy puds for mid week. I also freeze bags of crumble mix, as they make easy toppings when in a hurry.
  • Mrs Thrify
    yum yum! I too am baking again! due to a large apple tree in my works garden. any one for apples? I have so far cooked last weekend roast pork with apple sauce & apple crumble, pluss apple pie. This week it is apple tart, 2x apple cake & apple crumble. Pluss some for the freezer...
    If winter comes, can spring be far behind?
    Spring begins on 21st March.
    • bizzylizzy
    • By bizzylizzy 4th Nov 08, 2:23 PM
    • 643 Posts
    • 750 Thanks
    bizzylizzy
    Reheating pork??
    I have some cooked pork meatballs in the freezer, leftover from a meal where I miscalculated the amount we could eat. :rolleyes: Now I'm worried about reheating them. Is there a safe way to do it?
    • MrsBartolozzi
    • By MrsBartolozzi 4th Nov 08, 2:33 PM
    • 6,209 Posts
    • 48,801 Thanks
    MrsBartolozzi
    Is cooked pork meat special?:confused:

I wouldn't reheat it in any different way to any other cooked meat product - defrost in fridge first and reheat in oven or you could fry, heat in a pan with a sauce - however you'd like to cook the meatballs, just make sure they are piping hot and cooked through. You could defrost in the microwave too just before you cook them, but this can make meat rather dry so I try not to.

I hope there is not some special consideration with pork, like there is with rice for example, but I have never heard of any. (waits to be enlightened by the wise OS ones on here )

MrsB.

It's only a game
    ~*~*~ We're only here to dream ~*~*~
    • bizzylizzy
    • By bizzylizzy 4th Nov 08, 4:13 PM
    • 643 Posts
    • 750 Thanks
    bizzylizzy
    I have always thought you had be specially careful with pork - not sure why, but I seem to think you can get food poisoning more easily by reheating pork, more than, say, beef?
    Mind you, I happily reheat chicken and I know you have to be careful with that....
    I just don't have pork very often, so I'm a bit nervous of it and don't want to poison any of us!
    • Bongedone
    • By Bongedone 4th Nov 08, 4:27 PM
    • 2,390 Posts
    • 1,636 Thanks
    Bongedone
    You have to be careful to cook pork properly due to tapeworm. It does not survive cooking and is rarely found in pork nowadays. It is fine to reheat it as any potential tapeworm will be destroyed.

Linky: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taenia_solium

Edit: Don't read the link if you are about to have pork for dinner.
    Last edited by Bongedone; 04-11-2008 at 4:41 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,051Posts Today

8,207Users online

Martin's Twitter