Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • Pound
    • By Pound 5th Feb 08, 11:01 PM
    • 2,662 Posts
    • 1,323 Thanks
    Pound
    • 5th Feb 08, 11:01 PM
    • 5th Feb 08, 11:01 PM
    I bet Fluffy sleeps around and has no idea who the Dad is and just wants some kitten support. Karl should get a DNA test done first.

• stogiebear
    • 6th Feb 08, 3:23 AM
    • 6th Feb 08, 3:23 AM
    Please delete this post...
    Last edited by stogiebear; 06-02-2008 at 3:26 AM.
  • stogiebear
    • 6th Feb 08, 3:24 AM
    • 6th Feb 08, 3:24 AM
    Er... Susan should get the DNA test done. Karl could offer a saucer of milk.
  • DavesGranny
    • 6th Feb 08, 6:16 AM
    • 6th Feb 08, 6:16 AM
    If Susan didn't want kittens, she should have had Fluffy neutered.
    • tallgirld
    • By tallgirld 6th Feb 08, 7:11 AM
    • 476 Posts
    • 317 Thanks
    tallgirld
    • 6th Feb 08, 7:11 AM
    • 6th Feb 08, 7:11 AM
    No way!! First of all Tom might not even be the dad and secondly she should of got her cat sterilised!!!
    • toadhall
    • By toadhall 6th Feb 08, 8:18 AM
    • 320 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    toadhall
    • 6th Feb 08, 8:18 AM
    • 6th Feb 08, 8:18 AM
    no, could be any tom cat and she should have got the cat spayed long before kittens arrived!
    • bigpat
    • By bigpat 6th Feb 08, 8:28 AM
    • 260 Posts
    • 127 Thanks
    bigpat
    • 6th Feb 08, 8:28 AM
    • 6th Feb 08, 8:28 AM
    Even if Tom is the Dad, Karl is still not responsible. I think there's actually a difference in law between cats and dogs. You are responsible for your dog's actions, but not those of your cat. It's something to do with their being more independent animals. Karl doesn't "own" that cat anymore than the cat owns him.
    • theonlyrick
    • By theonlyrick 6th Feb 08, 8:30 AM
    • 42 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    theonlyrick
    • 6th Feb 08, 8:30 AM
    • 6th Feb 08, 8:30 AM
    Both cats should have been neutered.

If there was any reasonable proof it was Karl's tom, then a contribution would be a fair thing.

Without proof it's the female cat's owner that has to bear the responsibility - hopefully she'll then get any offspring neutered as well.
    If less is more, think how much "more" more would be.
  • Mrs Thrify
    Susan could sell the kittens @ 8 weeks old, put an add in the paper, pet shop etc.... this would help pay the bills for food, cat litter .... Although Susan does want to keep cat and kittens, as they get bigger the house problen will get worse. The owner of the tom cat could offer to find new homes for half the kittens and not charge stud fee's. As for parting with money, I don't think so....
    • ringo_24601
    • By ringo_24601 6th Feb 08, 9:06 AM
    • 17,148 Posts
    • 27,896 Thanks
    ringo_24601
    This is really a question only Jeremy Kyle can answer..
  • BenL
    Susan knew the risks/situation when getting her female cat.

If she didn't want to be lumbered with some kittens she should have had fluffy spayed.

Its her problem only

Ben
    I beep for Robins - Beep Beep
    & Choo Choo for trains!!
  • cazrobinson
    susan should have had her cat neutred! and proberley will be able to afford it now after selling those kittens. Not really Karl's fault!
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always recieve lots
  • wolf63
    They should both be ashamed of themselves - cats should be neutered. There is no excuse.

The cats were merely doing what cats do. They are total innocents in all of this.

I have no sympathy for the owner of the lady cat. My angelic little tom cat is watching me type and is in full agreement.
    • bazster
    • By bazster 6th Feb 08, 9:25 AM
    • 7,326 Posts
    • 9,448 Thanks
    bazster
    That doesn't even begin to be a dilemma. If Susan didn't want Fluffy getting knocked up then she should have either had her neutered or kept her in.

As for whether Tom really was the culprit, even if Susan caught Tom and Fluffy in flagrante that proves nothing. Indeed, it is possible that each kitten has a different father, female cats are not fussy! Asking for DNA evidence for *every* kitten should be enough to shut Susan up!

But even if Tom is the father of one or more of the kittens, Karl is still not liable, not in law or morally. Depsite this, it's irresponsible of Karl not to have had Tom neuteured.
    • golddustmedia
    • By golddustmedia 6th Feb 08, 9:34 AM
    • 796 Posts
    • 374 Thanks
    golddustmedia
    Demand a CATernity test!
  • Broken hearted
    I feel for the kittens, the owners should be more responsible.
    Barclaycard 3800

Nothing to do but hibernate till spring

• Djolltax
    • By Djolltax 6th Feb 08, 10:15 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Djolltax
    Csa??
    It's up to Susan to ensure her cat is neutered - who's to say the Tom is Karls' tomcat? Let Susan take her argument to the

Cat Support Agency!!
  • chr1s23
    Susan's cat
    No. Karl has no obligation towards Susans dilema. If Susan had been responsible she woulkd have had her cat speyed.
    • JayD
    • By JayD 6th Feb 08, 10:47 AM
    • 517 Posts
    • 326 Thanks
    JayD
    No, Karl should not feel obliged to pay.
    Fluffy should have been speyed if Susan didn't want her to have kittens.

It would be a neighbourly gesture of Karl to offer a little bit of cash - but that depends entirely on his own financial circumstances and personal feelings.

My feelings would be that they should get both cats 'done' pdq.
    And as for the kittens, let's hope Susan can find good homes for them with owners - ones a tad more responsible than she has been.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,143Posts Today

6,734Users online

Martin's Twitter