Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • qwiksave
    • By qwiksave 2nd Feb 08, 10:45 PM
    • 4,486Posts
    • 16,844Thanks
    qwiksave
    Weirdest tip ever?
    • 2nd Feb 08, 10:45 PM
    Weirdest tip ever? 2nd Feb 08 at 10:45 PM
    I've never written on this board before so 'Hello'

Looking at a book I got from a charity shop, I came across a rather 'unusual' tip! The book is american, and its called 'Vinegar, Duct Tape, Milk Jugs & More' - 1001 ingenious ways to use common household items to repair, restore, revive, or replace just about Everything in Your Life' (Phew!)

The tip was this: 'To make an excellent barrier to stop home permanent chemicals making their way to your eyes, ears or neck, dig out some sanitary minipads that have an adhesive backing. After your hair is up in the bonnet or on the pins and curlers, and before anyone applies anything liquid, attach the minipads sticky side down to the forehead, temples and back of your neck. Laid lengthwise at the edge of your hairline, they will stop all drips from reaching your face or collar.'

"before anyone applies anything liquid" - are they suggesting you do this at the hairdressers? Got to be the funniest/weirdest tip I've ever read! Unless anyone knows different?...

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Dan; 05-02-2008 at 9:19 PM.
    I don't want to make money, I just want to be wonderful
    Marilyn Monroe
Page 1
    • MoaningMyrtle
    • By MoaningMyrtle 2nd Feb 08, 10:47 PM
    • 1,932 Posts
    • 3,019 Thanks
    MoaningMyrtle
    • 2nd Feb 08, 10:47 PM
    • 2nd Feb 08, 10:47 PM
    I read a similar one advising the use of panty liners as emergency insoles for shoes.
    A minute at the till, a lifetime on the bill.

Nothing tastes as good as being slim feels.

one life, live it!
  • hev
    • 2nd Feb 08, 10:55 PM
    • 2nd Feb 08, 10:55 PM
    I have an old book of tips and wrinkles, I think from the thirties or earlier. It was sponsored by a soap company, but I can't remember one.

It suggested getting wine glasses which have lost their bases and filling with them with meths. Tie them to broom handles and then press them up against flies that have settled on the ceiling. The flies will then be overcome with the fumes, drop into the meths and drown.

So... wander round a room that probably has an open fire and possibly even gas mantles (a few tips mentioned them) with a wine glass of inflammable meths tied to a long pole...

Wonder how effective that was.
    Always another chapter

• kunekune
    • 3rd Feb 08, 8:05 AM
    • 3rd Feb 08, 8:05 AM
    Well it's not housework or cooking but it is weird. When I shared this tip, found on the internet of course, with my antenatal class, we all !!!!ed ourselves laughing.

To get a breach baby to move its position and avoid a c/section, you will need a packet of frozen peas, a torch and some soft music. Oh, and unless you are a contortionist, someone to help.

Place the peas on your stomach where the baby's head is. Then shine the torch up between your legs (that's why I'd imagine someone who is hugely pregnant will need help). And put the music on, speakers pointing the same way as the torch.

The theory - and I am yet to have ever met someone who tried (or admitted to trying) this - is that the baby hates the frozen peas so it decides to turn around. The light and the music are to point out which way its little head should be pointing for an easy life.
    Mortgage started on 22.5.09 : 129,600
    Overpayments to date: 3000
    June grocery challenge: 400/600
    • Aril
    • By Aril 3rd Feb 08, 8:10 AM
    • 1,880 Posts
    • 16,730 Thanks
    Aril
    • 3rd Feb 08, 8:10 AM
    • 3rd Feb 08, 8:10 AM
    The Reader's Digest book suggested using marshmallows to separate your toes when painting your toenails. I can sort of see where they're coming from but personally I would prefer to eat them. From my OS view I would have said that perhaps sponge would have been better....you're hardly going to want to eat them afterwards are you and they won't be much use to reuse
    Aril
    Aiming for a life of elegant frugality wearing a new-to-me silk shirt rather than one of hair!

Not Buying It 2016
  • IWasWondering...
    • 3rd Feb 08, 10:28 AM
    • 3rd Feb 08, 10:28 AM
    What a waste of marshmallows!
    Eat them.
    Use cotton wool balls for your toes instead.

Actually, wouldn't they get a bit sticky - the marshmallows and the toes?
    How are you going to clean sticky marshmallow off your toes if you've just done your nails?
    • qwiksave
    • By qwiksave 3rd Feb 08, 7:01 PM
    • 4,486 Posts
    • 16,844 Thanks
    qwiksave
    • 3rd Feb 08, 7:01 PM
    • 3rd Feb 08, 7:01 PM
    to repair, restore, revive, or replace just about Everything in Your Life' (Phew!)
    Originally posted by qwiksave
    Everything? - I've been looking for the one that repairs, restores & revives 40 year old husbands but I haven't found it!
    I don't want to make money, I just want to be wonderful
    Marilyn Monroe
  • jennet1
    • 3rd Feb 08, 7:53 PM
    • 3rd Feb 08, 7:53 PM
    iF you get hair colourant stains on your skin, rubbing cigarette ash will get them off. this does work but eeeeeeewwww!
  • davelaw
    • 6th Feb 08, 8:32 AM
    The answer
    • 6th Feb 08, 8:32 AM
    Everything? - I've been looking for the one that repairs, restores & revives 40 year old husbands but I haven't found it!
    Originally posted by qwiksave
    I would suggest that without fail a 26 - 30 year old female is the answer !
    • BigMummaF
    • By BigMummaF 6th Feb 08, 9:15 AM
    • 4,269 Posts
    • 32,002 Thanks
    BigMummaF
    One of the offspring received a nasty nip on the forefinger that refused to stop bleeding. Not being one who uses tea-towels unless muvva comes over, I wracked my brains to think of something that would hopefully stop the floe but not stick to the bite.

So that was how a 20-something, 15-stone mechanic came to be wandering the corridors of A&E with a super slim ST wrapped around his pinky
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• Gorf123
    • By Gorf123 6th Feb 08, 9:59 AM
    • 63 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    Gorf123
    I read a similar one advising the use of panty liners as emergency insoles for shoes.
    __________________________________________________ _____

Never judge anyone unless you have walked a mile in their shoes
    Originally posted by MoaningMyrtle
    Is that with or without their panty liner insoles?
    • Skint_Catt
    • By Skint_Catt 6th Feb 08, 10:04 AM
    • 11,431 Posts
    • 23,689 Thanks
    Skint_Catt
    Is that with or without their panty liner insoles?
    Originally posted by Gorf123
    PMSL!
  • coleys
    Thanks everyone, these are so funny, me and OH are laughing our heads off, love the breech baby tip
  • csarina
    Years ago a friend nipped to the shops leaving her two children playing at a friends house. When she got back she found her daughter just coming out of the back door............when questioned the story emerged..........the young boy had been playing on a swing in the garden and fallen off the swing, cutting his chin.........sister took him home and dealt with the crisis.........what did you do, asked mother.........well I looked for a plaster but could not find one, I found just the right thing a bandage with loops, so I looped it round his ears.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mother shot off to find son happily palying with his friend with a sanitary towel looped round his ears!!!!!!
    It was soon replaced by a plaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Was 13st 8 lbs,Now 12st 11 Lost 10 1/4lbs since I started on my diet.
  • floyd
    Years ago a friend nipped to the shops leaving her two children playing at a friends house. When she got back she found her daughter just coming out of the back door............when questioned the story emerged..........the young boy had been playing on a swing in the garden and fallen off the swing, cutting his chin.........sister took him home and dealt with the crisis.........what did you do, asked mother.........well I looked for a plaster but could not find one, I found just the right thing a bandage with loops, so I looped it round his ears.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mother shot off to find son happily palying with his friend with a sanitary towel looped round his ears!!!!!!
    It was soon replaced by a plaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Originally posted by csarina
    That is amazing!!!!!!
  • LashyLashla
    I remember a time when..... no actually i will start this story honestly. I had had one too many glasses of wine and dont remember running for the tube in my high heels. I slipped and hit my head on goodness know what and had a gaping cut on my forehead. My friends who were about as badly off for the white wine as i was were no help and i was pouring blood dwon my face. A kind lady on the tube in her late 30s came up to me and applied a bandage to my forehead. After telling her i loved her i continued my journey. I got home and went to bed. The next morning i woke up and recalled the events of the night before as i touched my bandage carefully. Gingerly i got up and went to the mirror to try and remove the bandage. As i looked at my reflection in the mirror i realised to my horror the "bandage" was actually my good samaritans (unused) sanitary towel
  • LashyLashla
    iF you get hair colourant stains on your skin, rubbing cigarette ash will get them off. this does work but eeeeeeewwww!
    Originally posted by jennet1

I used to work at a hairdressers where we used "volcanic ash" on clients colourant stains. Volcanic ash my !!!!, it was fag ash from us girls on our smoke breaks!
    • lilmisskitkat
    • By lilmisskitkat 6th Feb 08, 11:17 AM
    • 821 Posts
    • 7,144 Thanks
    lilmisskitkat
    One of the offspring received a nasty nip on the forefinger that refused to stop bleeding. Not being one who uses tea-towels unless muvva comes over, I wracked my brains to think of something that would hopefully stop the floe but not stick to the bite.

So that was how a 20-something, 15-stone mechanic came to be wandering the corridors of A&E with a super slim ST wrapped around his pinky
    Originally posted by BigMummaF
    ROFL!!! Almost spit my tea on the keyboard then! I can just picture it!!!

Kate xxx
    • vanoonoo
    • By vanoonoo 6th Feb 08, 11:44 AM
    • 1,860 Posts
    • 7,742 Thanks
    vanoonoo
    brilliant - thanks people
    Blah
    • purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 6th Feb 08, 11:51 AM
    • 3,401 Posts
    • 20,760 Thanks
    purpleivy
    Ace thread this! Keep them coming!
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
    Trying not to waste food!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,671Posts Today

9,815Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just sent a text about postgrad loans. My Swype text auto-corrected it to pothead loans. Does it know something I don't?

• Are you an overdraft prisoner? How to escape it! My new blog on ways to get rid of your overdraft... https://t.co/KbJwbWLFQI

• RT @bbc5live: .@MartinSLewis joins @annaefoster from midday to answer your money saving questions. ???? 08085 909 693 ???? 85058 Or post your q?

• Follow Martin