Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Littlebean
    The Knitters Thread
    • 1st Oct 07, 5:55 AM
    The Knitters Thread 1st Oct 07 at 5:55 AM
    Following on from the recent thread about handknitting it is apparent that many of us OS'ers are also keen knitters. The idea of this thread is to give us a place to post comments/suggestions, to be able to chat about our current work in progress (WIP), share patterns/tips/tricks, and post pictures of our completed work (I'm nosy and love seeing piccies ).

I'll get the ball rolling: I've now finished knitting the sweater that sparked the original post. Now I've remembered just how much I disliked making up the finished garment -definately the worst part of knitting. I've managed to pick up and knit around the neck and I've done the collar, but now I have to work out how to set in the sleeves - hmmmmmm. Any suggestions/tips would be gratefully received. I've never knitted a sweater with shaped armholes before - having stuck to straight seams - but having splurged on the yarn I really want the finished product to look nice.
Page 467
    • kittie
    • By kittie 30th May 18, 9:06 AM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 78,944 Thanks
    kittie
    prevention is much better than cure. Moths have been around forever, in the scottish crofts when they did spinning, they used to wind yarn into very tight big balls, keeping the moths out. Clothes were also stored in cedar chests and all the older people, frugal with clothes and never throwing any clothing out, always had a whiff of mothball on their furs and felt hats. I remember a few holes from when I was a child 60+ years ago but not that many

I have a home clad in cedar and also have insect screens on every opening window, that is why I was surprised at getting a clothes moth, ie if I can get one so can others. I found a dead one today, on the en suite cill, must have come through a vent as the moth is small. Nothing to eat here, so they starve

I am glad I don`t have any experience of how to deal with infestations and I am glad I can rest easy, my stash of quality fibres is worth a lot of money besides which they are beautiful

Anyway moth 3 appeared and died without me, en suite attached to my bedroom and preventative is working
    Last edited by kittie; 30-05-2018 at 9:11 AM.
    • spirit
    • By spirit 30th May 18, 4:39 PM
    • 2,726 Posts
    • 6,241 Thanks
    spirit
    I bought some quite expensive wool (not yarn) last year from John Lewis. as I was choosing it I noticed a moth crawling out of a ball.

So they can come in our homes in a number of ways.

I put all balls of wool in the freezer for a few days from now on.
    Mortgage free as of 10/02/2015. Every brick and blade of grass belongs to meeeee.
    • meanmarie
    • By meanmarie 30th May 18, 9:20 PM
    • 5,003 Posts
    • 48,556 Thanks
    meanmarie
    Kittie,

Thanks for your very helpful posts......will research on U tube and elsewhere, and hopefully have a go towards Autumn.

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
    • kittie
    • By kittie 31st May 18, 7:01 AM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 78,944 Thanks
    kittie
    I am spinning very steadily, a little every day when the mood takes me, 3 ply and fine singles, it is taking quite a while but I decided to weigh what I have finished ie skeined and washed and thwacked and dried, Thwacking, which I do with the wet skeins against a metal garden table, shocks the yarn into straightening, makes a heck of a difference and then I dry outside, hanging each skein on its own hanger. I weighed it all, 900g so far, plenty more left to do. I also bagged it and pressed the air out then sealed it with the seal facility on my vac sealer. One angle on the right side and another on the left, so that the seals cross, it was a wide bag. That bagful is now moth protected

I never feel like knitting in summer but spinning is good, not hot on the knees, then I have a project ready for next winter with this yarn, al fresco as it is a useful knit, a layering overtop and a very easy knit with no specific measurements. Probably also some more garments as it is a nice grey but I am not deciding yet
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 6th Aug 18, 4:11 PM
    • 16,149 Posts
    • 137,517 Thanks
    JackieO
    Hi my DGD sent me a pattern she got from Ravelry to make toy stuffed balls for my GtGD.one of the abreviations is SSK now I know that the Terry Morris is an american so the US abreviations are different to ours but for the life of me I can't think what SSK stands for Any Ravelry knitters on here ?
    JackieO xx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018
    Half year totals = £166.19. July added equals £204 .29,Todays August food shop added equals £227.75
    • hiddenshadow
    • By hiddenshadow 6th Aug 18, 4:13 PM
    • 2,487 Posts
    • 11,391 Thanks
    hiddenshadow
    Slip Slip Knit

Slip (knit-wise), Slip (knit-wise), Knit 2 together through the back loops
    MFW: £197,100 (2013) to £99,838 (June '18)
    2018 MFW #56: £4,806/£105,000 4% / MFiT-T4 #15: £59,661/£90,000 66%
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 6th Aug 18, 4:27 PM
    • 16,149 Posts
    • 137,517 Thanks
    JackieO
    Slip Slip Knit

Slip (knit-wise), Slip (knit-wise), Knit 2 together through the back loops
    Originally posted by hiddenshadow
    Thank you so much its been driving me nuts trying to work it out

JackieO xx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018
    Half year totals = £166.19. July added equals £204 .29,Todays August food shop added equals £227.75
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 6th Aug 18, 10:54 PM
    • 38,874 Posts
    • 35,699 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    Always worth doing a google, there are some excellent sites out there, with videos, I watch them repeatedly until I 'get' something!
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself ...
    Current projects: Poppies, mohair cardigan pattern arrived and going strong!
    • pws52
    • By pws52 7th Aug 18, 7:02 AM
    • 164 Posts
    • 751 Thanks
    pws52
    Anyone into knitting socks kempswools.com has some sock wool in their clearance sale. £3.99 for 100g and £1.69 for 50g. The latter is towards the end of the pages.

Unfortunately you have to spend £30 to qualify for free shipping....but there are other very tempting wools in clearance!
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 11th Aug 18, 10:32 AM
    • 759 Posts
    • 5,403 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    Anyone into knitting socks kempswools.com has some sock wool in their clearance sale. £3.99 for 100g and £1.69 for 50g. The latter is towards the end of the pages.

Unfortunately you have to spend £30 to qualify for free shipping....but there are other very tempting wools in clearance!
    Originally posted by pws52
    Must resist! Must resist! (Iím doing the Fashion-on-the-Ration challenge and canít afford to spend any more coupons on yarn this year).

To anyone else reading this, please remember that sock yarn is generally 4-ply, superwash and 75% wool, so hard wearing and warm. It can be used in any pattern that specifies 4-ply or fingering-weight yarn. 3-4x100g balls will make a long-sleeved jumper so, if you can get plain colours in the Kemps sale, you could knit an entire sweater for less than £16.

- Pip (yes, I have sock-yarn sweaters with more in the pipeline)
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. #47 Official Brain Harvesting Body Counter
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 12th Aug 18, 3:50 PM
    • 38,874 Posts
    • 35,699 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    I'm resisting more wool too ...

However, what I'm after is a free knitting pattern for peony flowers. Have spent a while on Pinterest without finding what I'm after (which could be me and Pinterest not getting on) - anyone got any suggestions? I've got some poppy patterns, and I'm just wondering if I could do more petals of the petalled one, or more layers of the 'all-in-one', and see if I can cobble something I like the look of ...
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself ...
    • TiredTrophy
    • By TiredTrophy 12th Aug 18, 5:35 PM
    • 570 Posts
    • 7,910 Thanks
    TiredTrophy
    I made my adult daughter a jumper in sock yarn...took me two years!
    I knit very inefficently but enjoy it.
    • lilolilly2
    • By lilolilly2 15th Aug 18, 6:30 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    lilolilly2
    I have knitted all kinds of things over the years and recently took up knitting again earlier this year after a 20 year break.
    • Wraithlady
    • By Wraithlady 15th Aug 18, 7:12 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    Wraithlady

However, what I'm after is a free knitting pattern for peony flowers.
    Originally posted by Savvy_Sue
    If you're into crochet, I have a peony pattern I copied from someone's blog many years ago
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 15th Aug 18, 8:39 PM
    • 38,874 Posts
    • 35,699 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    If you're into crochet, I have a peony pattern I copied from someone's blog many years ago
    Originally posted by Wraithlady
    Sorry no, I've tried crochet and can't get the hang of it ...
    Still knitting!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

202Posts Today

3,346Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin