Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Littlebean
    The Knitters Thread
    • 1st Oct 07, 5:55 AM
    The Knitters Thread 1st Oct 07 at 5:55 AM
    Following on from the recent thread about handknitting it is apparent that many of us OS'ers are also keen knitters. The idea of this thread is to give us a place to post comments/suggestions, to be able to chat about our current work in progress (WIP), share patterns/tips/tricks, and post pictures of our completed work (I'm nosy and love seeing piccies ).

I'll get the ball rolling: I've now finished knitting the sweater that sparked the original post. Now I've remembered just how much I disliked making up the finished garment -definately the worst part of knitting. I've managed to pick up and knit around the neck and I've done the collar, but now I have to work out how to set in the sleeves - hmmmmmm. Any suggestions/tips would be gratefully received. I've never knitted a sweater with shaped armholes before - having stuck to straight seams - but having splurged on the yarn I really want the finished product to look nice.
Page 466
    • babs 103
    • By babs 103 2nd May 18, 4:22 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 748 Thanks
    babs 103
    Thank you PipneyJane and Seakay for you help, I need a two needle version as my hands are too cold to fiddle about the 4 at the moment. I will do the search for nice squishy yarn. Thank You.

Editing to add:- I've just been sent this from my Sister so will do those I think

.http://eatbreathesleepcreate.blogspot.co.uk/2009/11/two-needle-convertible-fingerless-mitts.html
    Last edited by babs 103; 02-05-2018 at 4:24 PM. Reason: added link
    Quot Libros, Quam Breve Tempus
    SPC #11 025 - 207.12
    SPC #12 025 -
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 2nd May 18, 11:50 PM
    • 39,249 Posts
    • 36,205 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    I don't know if it's OK for you, but I bought a cotton and tencel mix the other day. I was looking for DK cotton to finish a balaclava, didn't like the colours and it was (IMO) horribly expensive when I only needed a tiny bit. Spotted this other stuff which was a) cheaper and b) a lovely bright pink which contrasts beautifully with the grey cotton I was using.

Because it knits further per gram, I've probably got enough for a pink balaclava now. Plus I found a small ball of the grey cotton the other day (isn't it always the way???)
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats, 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself, multiple poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: ready to decrease / decreasing on all parts of the mohair cardigan pattern! but moved onto wrist warmers for friends at Christmas ...
    • hiddenshadow
    • By hiddenshadow 3rd May 18, 11:11 AM
    • 2,489 Posts
    • 11,434 Thanks
    hiddenshadow
    So what you're saying is that until I've finished the garment, I won't know if it's any good size-wise and washing wise. Just what I need: I knew there was a reason I gave up knitting in my youth ...
    Originally posted by Savvy_Sue
    Not necessarily, just that you should treat your swatch as you will treat your finished garment (will it go in the washing machine? lie flat to dry? etc), and you should measure your garment against your swatch as you knit it so that you know if your larger-scale knitting is staying true to the small scale swatch (and you can adjust accordingly as you go).

Good news is that unless your gauge changes massively on the larger scale garment you should be fine, as a few stitches wider or smaller (or longer) won't make much difference.

Glad to hear it's working up well so far! I like the sound of flecked ribbing.
    MFW: 197,100 (2013) to 95,804 (Nov '18)
    2018 MFW #56: 4,806/105,000 4% / MFiT-T4 #15: 59,661/90,000 66%
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 3rd May 18, 10:48 PM
    • 39,249 Posts
    • 36,205 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    Not necessarily, just that you should treat your swatch as you will treat your finished garment (will it go in the washing machine? lie flat to dry? etc), and you should measure your garment against your swatch as you knit it so that you know if your larger-scale knitting is staying true to the small scale swatch (and you can adjust accordingly as you go).

Good news is that unless your gauge changes massively on the larger scale garment you should be fine, as a few stitches wider or smaller (or longer) won't make much difference.

Glad to hear it's working up well so far! I like the sound of flecked ribbing.
    Originally posted by hiddenshadow
    hadn't thought of offering the swatch up against the knitting as I go along, but it's still looking good. I have a cardigan I like the size of and the fronts are so far about the right width (minus the band in both cases).

I'm doing both fronts, a bit at a time, the main colour seems to be lasting quite well. One of the beautiful pink needles snapped so I had to order a wooden pair, and I do prefer them. But it's handy having one needle, I can knit bits onto a stop to put them aside and carry on with my 'best' needles, if that makes sense!

The pattern's gone a bit 'off' in places (it's K one row then k below then purl), but I'm past caring. The wool changes colour a bit so it barely shows, especially under the fluff. And it is of course a b*gger to undo or run down and pick up the right way, especially with the k below. And when I joined the pockets on I accidentally did two right fronts, for about two rows.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats, 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself, multiple poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: ready to decrease / decreasing on all parts of the mohair cardigan pattern! but moved onto wrist warmers for friends at Christmas ...
    • kittie
    • By kittie 11th May 18, 6:30 PM
    • 12,444 Posts
    • 78,973 Thanks
    kittie
    finally I got to wear one of my 3 drapey afterlite jumpers and it was too drapey around the neck, too much cleavage and down the shoulders. Drat, I sat and unpicked the neckline and took up far fewer stitches and graded it using circular needles in decreasing sizes. It ended with 5 rows of garter stitch. I put it on and couldn`t get it over my head. So took the garter stich rows out as the rib was stretchy. Used a larger needle for 4 rows and larger again for 5th and cast off with a larger one again. This time it goes over my head ok but not so easily. I feel that it looks nice and the neck is tidier so will leave it at that and repeat with the other two with slightly more pick ups. It would have been fine in a normal yarn but contains something that drapes and has no inner stretch like wool does. I will wear it tomorrow and see how it feels on all day.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 12th May 18, 1:57 PM
    • 12,444 Posts
    • 78,973 Thanks
    kittie
    I woke up deciding there was no way I could leave those neckbands, I have actually undone the first neckband three times but have reached perfection. The neck was a bit too wide so I did some gathers each side of the back neck and used smaller circular needles, just grading down once. I ended up with a good neck, slips over the head easily and is in no danger of slipping sideways or lower

Two tops are finished now and one more to do and being me, I have to do it right away. Then I need to write the details on the pattern because it is a pattern I will likely use again in the future. My hands are going to suffer because of the thin needles but will be ok if I wear nightime splints for a couple of days.

I just cannot do the knitting I used to, so these days am only knitting for myself. I am still spinning but am generally making 3 ply yarns from fine singles and that takes a long time, so satisfies my crafty genes.

Craftsy, free videos this weekend btw
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 13th May 18, 1:43 PM
    • 826 Posts
    • 5,964 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    Kitty

How/where/when did you learn to spin? I would like to learn but do not want to go to the expense of buying a wheel before I do so, in case I buy the wrong one/dont like it, etc. They are a big investment and I would like to know what I am doing first.

Thanks

Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. #47 Official Brain Harvesting Body Counter
    • hiddenshadow
    • By hiddenshadow 13th May 18, 4:32 PM
    • 2,489 Posts
    • 11,434 Thanks
    hiddenshadow
    PipneyJane, I'm still a (very!) beginner spinner but you can buy a drop spindle for 10ish and see what you think of the general process without the upfront expense of a wheel. You can also see if there's a local Guild as they often have wheels that can be rented on a monthly basis.

(I learned what I know from Youtube videos and a bit of advice from folks at the local spinning group.)
    MFW: 197,100 (2013) to 95,804 (Nov '18)
    2018 MFW #56: 4,806/105,000 4% / MFiT-T4 #15: 59,661/90,000 66%
    • kittie
    • By kittie 14th May 18, 6:23 AM
    • 12,444 Posts
    • 78,973 Thanks
    kittie
    I never got to terms with drop spindling, bought a wheel from a charity shop, stripped it down, re-did the wood and cleaned all the bearings etc and off I went on a steep self- taught learning curve. I still have the tea cosy I made from lumpy yarn. It takes a while to get to spin half decent singles, at first it bunches up and doesn`t feed on etc but it is all a learning curve. A year later I was making yarn which made jumpers for my husband and me. I never went to spinning guild for over 2 years, learnt everything from youtube, books and lots of dvds. Now I am teaching grandchildren to spin and they are in the bumpy stage, we just do a bit and leave it, then go back to it

I now have a wheel obsession, 4 wheels, one of which is my first old wheel, which I can strap in my car and take visiting. I made another wheel from a kit, the same type as the first wheel. My third wheel is also portable with 2 pedals and has a carry bag, my 4th wheel is my singing dancing rolls royce. The wheel I am using daily is the one I built from the kit. I will use that wheel until I have finished the large amount of grey falkland wool, which is a very amenable and easy to use fleece, bought ready prepared from world of wool. I get all my fibre combos from them and have boxes of the most luxurious blends eg silk/merino/cashmere, enough for a lifetime of pleasure

you can make a drop spindle from a cd and a dowel

ps, I don`t go to spinning guild, very friendly but too many days when they needed volunteers and pretty formal meetings. Anyway those days clashed with my wood carving group sessions, which I love

re the 4 wheels, I intend to invite people in to learn spinning but after I move, no charge, just tea and cake and chat
    Last edited by kittie; 14-05-2018 at 6:28 AM.
    • Seakay
    • By Seakay 14th May 18, 12:04 PM
    • 4,164 Posts
    • 10,040 Thanks
    Seakay
    Kittie: what a lovely idea to host spinning sessions for beginners with tea and cake, making what can be a solitary occupation a social one! People could take turns to bring cake. Hope your hands are not suffering too much after finishing your tops.
    I haven't done any knitting this week but I have been darning an old favourite to prolong it's life for a bit
    • kittie
    • By kittie 17th May 18, 12:05 PM
    • 12,444 Posts
    • 78,973 Thanks
    kittie
    I am wearing an afterlight, first time, full day and have even been in my outdoors recliner in it, very comfortable. It is lovely in this warm weather and the new neckline is perfect and I am loving the 1/2 length loose sleeves. Very flattering fit, drapes in all the right places and the gathers mid V are enhancing. I have 2 black silk short sleeve t shirts/vests, very thin and they will be perfect as a layering layer. I am so glad I bit the bullet about re-doing the neckline, it has made all the difference

Another 5 skeins of falklands 3 ply have been washed and dried, so now I have, I think, 11 skeins.Taken me about a year so far. Will be heading for an al fresco overtop with this yarn, same as the one I made last time as it is very flexible and very good for winter. I am glad I am spinning finer now, I have just `discovered` a lot of earlier yarns, will need to do something with them, eventually
    • meanmarie
    • By meanmarie 17th May 18, 3:05 PM
    • 5,034 Posts
    • 48,907 Thanks
    meanmarie
    Kittie.....wish I lived near you to learn to spin.......I spent 70 some years ago for a 1day spinning course.......tea provided but bring your own food! I felt I learned nothing, but still have a yen to spin.
    Weight 08 February 86kg
    • kittie
    • By kittie 17th May 18, 4:17 PM
    • 12,444 Posts
    • 78,973 Thanks
    kittie
    MM, it really is only practise. I had never tried spinning, apart from with a drop spindle which was a clunky cheap one and yes I learnt some basics, like why fibre pulls apart. My spinning wasn`t good for quite some time, I was treadling too fast and not releasing the fibre quickly enough. I got the children started by having them sing ba ba black sheep while treadling quite slowly, first I got them treadling without fibre, to train their foot/brain co-ordination.

This person is a beginner and he is spinning on a wee peggy, my first wheel was a rappard wee peggy, made in 1980. I stripped it down, used meths and wire wool and finished with danish oil and it spins smooth as butter, no clunks and is lighter in colour than his
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58ymW_lLgGM

I usually spin sometime in the evening, listening to the radio, as you can imagine, it does get my mind settled to sleep

Last edited by kittie; 21-05-2018 at 6:51 AM.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 17th May 18, 7:25 PM
    • 12,444 Posts
    • 78,973 Thanks
    kittie
    here you are

beginning spinning part 1
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_clqBwf8gHs

beginning spinning part 2
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0VlqcL9Odw
    • Ellijay
    • By Ellijay 21st May 18, 6:32 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Ellijay
    I've been told by an avid spinner that the act of spinning is very therapeutic, however I've never got the hang of it.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 21st May 18, 6:55 AM
    • 12,444 Posts
    • 78,973 Thanks
    kittie
    yes, it isn`t easy to start but is a challenge and does come with patience. You need to know some background basics first, like fibre length and how the fibres slip past each other eg holding the fluff too tight stops fibres from slipping forward. I want to reiterate that I could not get on with drop spindling and still don`t, treadling on a wheel is very different
    • kittie
    • By kittie 22nd May 18, 8:15 AM
    • 12,444 Posts
    • 78,973 Thanks
    kittie
    I saw a clothes moth last night in my bedroom, the only one I ever saw here but action stations. Vac packing and preventer sachets ordered. A massive operation is ahead of me, I need to protect all wardrobes and all stashes and garments just in case
    • kittie
    • By kittie 27th May 18, 9:02 AM
    • 12,444 Posts
    • 78,973 Thanks
    kittie
    today I am wearing a very favourite and lovely top with a gorgeous neckline and short sleeves. I made it in 2015 and it cost me 27 for the fibre. It was not an easy spin, it was flyaway fluff and I had to wear an apron.

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/leaf-top

This was my first spinning with a silk componant, the fibre is 50% white seacell and 50% jonquil tussah silk. Custom blend from world of wool, I had it blended 5 times and bought 500g. I didn`t spin all that fine, I was too worried and I made 2 ply. It is absolutely lovely and drapes like a dream, so much so that I know I bought more identical blends in colours to suit me, green,scarlet and blue, all of which will be lighter because of the white seacell. Those blends were 37.26 and bought only last year, tucked away in moth proof containers, an investment

The sleeves, sleeve seam and neckline on that pattern are perfect, as is the length, most flattering

This is seacell
    http://english.smartfibernewsroom.de/index.php/news-wp/entry/seacell-the-natural-fiber-with-the-skin-caring-properties-of-pure-seaweed

I was just looking at my last wow blend, 1kg and still wrapped. Superfine merino seal 40%, + 20% ash plus seacell 40%. 46.90, enough for two tops, easily. Should make nice drapey pale grey, eventually
    • Seakay
    • By Seakay 28th May 18, 12:30 PM
    • 4,164 Posts
    • 10,040 Thanks
    Seakay
    Thanks Kittie for the Seacell information - all entirely new to me but fascinating. Definitely something I shall be looking out for in future
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 30th May 18, 7:37 AM
    • 213 Posts
    • 1,506 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    I saw a clothes moth last night in my bedroom, the only one I ever saw here but action stations. Vac packing and preventer sachets ordered. A massive operation is ahead of me, I need to protect all wardrobes and all stashes and garments just in case
    Originally posted by kittie
    From a LOT of experience, the very best thing you can do is to wear/use your edible textiles. Moths don't eat the things you wear or use, they eat the things in storage, ESPECIALLY anything kept "for best"!

(My parents' old house has clothes moths under the floorboards and in the wall spaces throughout, so until they believe me and have it professionally fumigated, they will continue to have hundreds upon hundreds of moths, no matter how much they spray aerosol moth-killer around. Every time we stay, when we come home, a few weeks later we find clothes moths here, presumably because we bring invisible eggs home, no matter how hard we try. I can keep on top of a minor moth problem in our little flat, but have learnt a LOT about moth methods from decades living with a major infestation in my old home. 90% of the claimed methods simply don't work when you go into the research. Freezing? Not in a domestic freezer, chum, not cold enough to cause proper cell-wall bursting on thawing. Lavender? Hahahaha. Vacuum-bags, nope, not air-tight so eggs still hatch but can cause worse damage due to you thinking that bag is moth-proof, so they munch further through things before you find them.
    Sadly, major chemical warfare is the only thing that works - Rentokil Insectrol is my current napalm of choice, but nothing is 100% except to wear or use your beloved stuff as much as possible. There's a moral in there somewhere about not keeping things "for best" - I can't tell you how much yarn and fabric got mothed before ever being made into anything...)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,287Posts Today

8,239Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The responses to this thread are no question the best of british! https://t.co/jv5Q2ErQQC

• RT @SMinihane87: @MartinSLewis After she received the title she addressed it in literally the first episode of the next season of the appre?

• RT @WhichUK: ??CHRISTMAS WARNING TO PARENTS?? Don't buy any of these slimes for your kids ? they all contain potentially unsafe levels of?

• Follow Martin