Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Littlebean
    The Knitters Thread
    • 1st Oct 07, 5:55 AM
    The Knitters Thread 1st Oct 07 at 5:55 AM
    Following on from the recent thread about handknitting it is apparent that many of us OS'ers are also keen knitters. The idea of this thread is to give us a place to post comments/suggestions, to be able to chat about our current work in progress (WIP), share patterns/tips/tricks, and post pictures of our completed work (I'm nosy and love seeing piccies ).

I'll get the ball rolling: I've now finished knitting the sweater that sparked the original post. Now I've remembered just how much I disliked making up the finished garment -definately the worst part of knitting. I've managed to pick up and knit around the neck and I've done the collar, but now I have to work out how to set in the sleeves - hmmmmmm. Any suggestions/tips would be gratefully received. I've never knitted a sweater with shaped armholes before - having stuck to straight seams - but having splurged on the yarn I really want the finished product to look nice.
Page 465
    • SIRENS
    • By SIRENS 15th Mar 18, 10:01 PM
    • 652 Posts
    • 3,587 Thanks
    SIRENS
    Well I finished a little hat and booties for a work colleague just in time, I gave then to her on Saturday (her last day) just as well as she had the baby on Monday! She sent a pic of her wearing the hat, I was so touched.
    Am now working on the second sock of my dd's Kittie socks
    Weight Loss Challenge 7/14lb

'You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose' - Dr Suess
    • Seakay
    • By Seakay 19th Mar 18, 6:44 PM
    • 4,161 Posts
    • 10,030 Thanks
    Seakay
    that hat is really cute - good find!
    • lynseydee
    • By lynseydee 24th Mar 18, 12:34 PM
    • 1,682 Posts
    • 7,609 Thanks
    lynseydee
    Having a blank moment.

Have some wool I'd like to make something with and thought there was a way to find patterns, maybe on Ravelry, where you could put the tension in and it would come up with patters with that tension.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
    Did owe £9,951.96

Now helping hubby pay off loan. Finally paid off

Owe Virgin £5,950.00 at 0% til June 2009 £3,427.89. Owe HSBC £5,460.78 2.9% til May 2010 £3,703.07. Owe Post Office £1,676.62 at 0% til September 2010
    • kittie
    • By kittie 24th Mar 18, 12:47 PM
    • 11,984 Posts
    • 74,981 Thanks
    kittie
    yes you can do that. Go to patterns advanced and look down the left hand side. It is one of the best ever ways to find a pattern
    • lynseydee
    • By lynseydee 24th Mar 18, 4:16 PM
    • 1,682 Posts
    • 7,609 Thanks
    lynseydee
    Thanks Kittie for helping me find a pattern.

I have found a pattern I want to knit but now have a dilemma.

The pattern calls for 3.5mm needles to do the ribbing but I only have 3.25mm or 3.75mm.

If I used one of these sizes will it matter and if not which one should I use?
    Did owe £9,951.96

Owe Virgin £5,950.00 at 0% til June 2009 £3,427.89. Owe HSBC £5,460.78 2.9% til May 2010 £3,703.07. Owe Post Office £1,676.62 at 0% til September 2010
    • kittie
    • By kittie 24th Mar 18, 4:34 PM
    • 11,984 Posts
    • 74,981 Thanks
    kittie
    I would use one of each needle
    • lynseydee
    • By lynseydee 24th Mar 18, 5:02 PM
    • 1,682 Posts
    • 7,609 Thanks
    lynseydee
    I would use one of each needle
    Originally posted by kittie
    So one 3.25mm and one 3.75mm so I'm using odd needles?
    Did owe £9,951.96

• kittie
    • By kittie 24th Mar 18, 6:21 PM
    • 11,984 Posts
    • 74,981 Thanks
    kittie
    I don`t see a problem as it is only the rib. Have a little practice and see if it looks ok.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 24th Mar 18, 6:26 PM
    • 11,984 Posts
    • 74,981 Thanks
    kittie
    I have taken to wearing some of my knitted shawls this winter, trying to keep the heating down and wanting to stop my neck and shoulders from getting cold. Not wanting the bulk of another sweater or cardi on top of a sweater (and silk vest). I think one of my favourites has to be this one. I just looped both ends through a shawl ring. Looks very nice and is warm. Shawls are one of the few items I block properly, with wires and pins

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/swallowtail-shawl
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 24th Mar 18, 6:59 PM
    • 12,289 Posts
    • 9,628 Thanks
    unholyangel
    Thanks Kittie for helping me find a pattern.

I have found a pattern I want to knit but now have a dilemma.

The pattern calls for 3.5mm needles to do the ribbing but I only have 3.25mm or 3.75mm.

If I used one of these sizes will it matter and if not which one should I use?
    Originally posted by lynseydee
    Whats your tension like? Normally you'd adjust your needle size depending on how your test swatch measures compared to the dimensions given in the pattern. If too small, go up a needle size, if too big then go down.

It would also depend what the item is. For example, if its a cuff or bottom band of a jumper, I'd go with the smaller size.

Tbh half a mm wont make a huge difference though - not unless you're making a fitted garment.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 9th Apr 18, 10:09 PM
    • 38,497 Posts
    • 35,156 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    forgive me barging in, but ...

I took up knitting (again) a few years ago after 'inheriting' quantities of wool, much of which I managed to re-home but could not part with the mohair and sock wool.

You can see my accomplishments in my signature, but I've just done a tensions square for the mohair cardigan mentioned there, and it's coming out too long - width is right but over 32 rows it's half an inch too long.

One friend doesn't think it will matter too much, and I'm about to try on smaller needles to see how wide that comes out - but would the rest of you worry?

It will be quite if it's OK on the smaller needles, because I haven't got a set of my favourites (detachable circulars) in the right size: bought a set with a few in, but they don't go quite large enough! Although to be fair I've found a lovely bright pink pair online, reasonably inexpensive!
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself ...
    Current projects: Poppies, mohair cardigan pattern arrived and going strong!
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 10th Apr 18, 7:23 AM
    • 740 Posts
    • 5,199 Thanks
    PipneyJane

I took up knitting (again) a few years ago after 'inheriting' quantities of wool, much of which I managed to re-home but could not part with the mohair and sock wool.

You can see my accomplishments in my signature, but I've just done a tensions square for the mohair cardigan mentioned there, and it's coming out too long - width is right but over 32 rows it's half an inch too long.

One friend doesn't think it will matter too much, and I'm about to try on smaller needles to see how wide that comes out - but would the rest of you worry?

It will be quite if it's OK on the smaller needles, because I haven't got a set of my favourites (detachable circulars) in the right size: bought a set with a few in, but they don't go quite large enough! Although to be fair I've found a lovely bright pink pair online, reasonably inexpensive!
    Originally posted by Savvy_Sue

For the most part, it’s the stitch count (width) that is important, not the length, but that is dependent upon the pattern. Does it give lots of instructions based on row count? (“Work 27 rows and then...”) Or does it just say “work until the sleeve measures xxx”? That will tell you whether you can get away using your existing needles.

In addition: have you washed your tension swatch? That will impact your stitch and row count.

HTH

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. #47 Official Brain Harvesting Body Counter
    • plumduff55
    • By plumduff55 10th Apr 18, 8:39 AM
    • 373 Posts
    • 3,006 Thanks
    plumduff55

I've just knitted a cardigan with raglan sleeves and this caused me terrible problems. I adjusted the back raglan so it was the correct length but trying to match the sleeve raglan length was impossible. After re knitting Raglan shaping three times I ripped it back changed the pattern to a straight sleeve. I never usually have to admit defeat but this time I did xx
    SPC 10 Member 045 Target £250
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 10th Apr 18, 11:40 AM
    • 2,182 Posts
    • 28,784 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    I just measure everything because I am very short. If you need to lengthen or shorten raglan sleeves it's best to do it in the first few rows.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 10th Apr 18, 2:59 PM
    • 38,497 Posts
    • 35,156 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    For the most part, it’s the stitch count (width) that is important, not the length, but that is dependent upon the pattern. Does it give lots of instructions based on row count? (“Work 27 rows and then...”) Or does it just say “work until the sleeve measures xxx”? That will tell you whether you can get away using your existing needles.
    Originally posted by PipneyJane
    I shall have a read again: most of it is 'until work measures' but I need to compare how many rows are shaped over the back / fronts and sleeves to see how much impact that might have.

In addition: have you washed your tension swatch? That will impact your stitch and row count.
    Originally posted by PipneyJane
    I haven't washed these tension squares yet, but I know if I do it on 40 degrees they will shrink (so I won't). Wool band says hand wash.

I've just knitted a cardigan with raglan sleeves and this caused me terrible problems. I adjusted the back raglan so it was the correct length but trying to match the sleeve raglan length was impossible. After re knitting Raglan shaping three times I ripped it back changed the pattern to a straight sleeve. I never usually have to admit defeat but this time I did xx
    Originally posted by plumduff55
    Fortunately these are straight!

I just measure everything because I am very short. If you need to lengthen or shorten raglan sleeves it's best to do it in the first few rows.
    Originally posted by nursemaggie
    Yes, Mum sometimes used to knit from the top down to make it easier to get the length right, but that's a bit complicated ...

Oh decisions, decisions. going to give up on the computer and go and finish smaller tension square and then decide. Although that 5.5 knitting needle did find its way into my basket regardless. It's bound to be useful later.

Slight panic when I couldn't find the wool. And then another decision: what colour to do the ribbing in? I know I haven't got enough of the main colour, so going to do ribbing in a contrast. Will knit the two fronts to assess how the wool's going, then probably the sleeves, then see how much of the back I can do. Choices are black or various purples, main colour is pinky reddish with a hint of blue ... Black of course is horrid to knit with, or course, especially in the evenings.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself ...
    • hiddenshadow
    • By hiddenshadow 16th Apr 18, 7:27 PM
    • 2,479 Posts
    • 11,344 Thanks
    hiddenshadow
    I haven't washed these tension squares yet, but I know if I do it on 40 degrees they will shrink (so I won't). Wool band says hand wash.
    Sometimes your swatch changes even with hand washing. I try and wash my swatch how I plan to wash the finished garment...e.g. hand wash + lay out flat, or hand wash + pin to set size, or machine wash. Then I get a sense of how much the fabric will change when it's in use as a real thing.

There's also the wisdom that swatches "lie", in that they only tell you what your knitting is like on that size of a piece and in that setting (watching tv? drinking wine? knitting on your lunch break?). Those conditions may or may not match your actual garment.
    MFW: £197,100 (2013) to £100,646 (May '18)
    2018 MFW #56: £4,000/£105,000 3% / MFiT-T4 #15: £58,854/£90,000 65%
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 16th Apr 18, 9:45 PM
    • 38,497 Posts
    • 35,156 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    Sometimes your swatch changes even with hand washing. I try and wash my swatch how I plan to wash the finished garment...e.g. hand wash + lay out flat, or hand wash + pin to set size, or machine wash. Then I get a sense of how much the fabric will change when it's in use as a real thing.

There's also the wisdom that swatches "lie", in that they only tell you what your knitting is like on that size of a piece and in that setting (watching tv? drinking wine? knitting on your lunch break?). Those conditions may or may not match your actual garment.
    Originally posted by hiddenshadow
    It nearly all happens while I'm watching TV. Or during the sermon in church, but at church I tend to do 'charity' knitting rather than my own. (It's OK, the Archbishop of Canterbury said it was OK to knit during the sermon, honest. I heard it on Woman's Hour: the Listen Again no longer works but it must be true.)

So what you're saying is that until I've finished the garment, I won't know if it's any good size-wise and washing wise. Just what I need: I knew there was a reason I gave up knitting in my youth ...

However, I've taken a tip from my sister and compared the pattern's 'finished measurements' with a cardigan whose fit I like. And I've compared the width of the front I'm knitting with the front of the cardigan I like, and it's looking good so far.

I went with a purple fleck for the ribbing and it looks quite good.
    Still knitting!
    • babs 103
    • By babs 103 28th Apr 18, 12:42 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 601 Thanks
    babs 103
    As I have permanently cold hands, I'm having to knit a pair of flap over mittens to wear indoors. I used to have a pattern when Adam was a lad but cannot find it now.

Can anyone recommend a pattern (pref knitted flat on two needles) and soft yarn to use please? I must point out that I have very sensitive skin and the least little bit of scratchiness will bring me out in a rash.

Hope someone can help x
    SPC #11 025
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 29th Apr 18, 1:37 PM
    • 740 Posts
    • 5,199 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    As I have permanently cold hands, I'm having to knit a pair of flap over mittens to wear indoors. I used to have a pattern when Adam was a lad but cannot find it now.

Can anyone recommend a pattern (pref knitted flat on two needles) and soft yarn to use please? I must point out that I have very sensitive skin and the least little bit of scratchiness will bring me out in a rash.

Hope someone can help x
    Originally posted by babs 103

Hello. Have you searched on Ravelry? Http:\\www.ravelry.com

My first thought would be to make Subway Knitter’s flip-top mittens: http://www.subwayknitter.com/uphtml/urban%20necessity.pdf The link will take you directly to the pattern PDF. She uses a worsted weight yarn, so I would use something like: Debbie Bliss Cashmerino DK or an Aran weight (worsted falls between the two).

HTH

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. #47 Official Brain Harvesting Body Counter
    • Seakay
    • By Seakay 30th Apr 18, 1:06 PM
    • 4,161 Posts
    • 10,030 Thanks
    Seakay
    Some ideas for yarns for sensitive skin here:

http://www.rowrowandkades.com/2018/01/22/the-best-yarn-choices-for-sensitive-skin/
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,076Posts Today

7,606Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin