Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Littlebean
    The Knitters Thread
    • 1st Oct 07, 5:55 AM
    The Knitters Thread 1st Oct 07 at 5:55 AM
    Following on from the recent thread about handknitting it is apparent that many of us OS'ers are also keen knitters. The idea of this thread is to give us a place to post comments/suggestions, to be able to chat about our current work in progress (WIP), share patterns/tips/tricks, and post pictures of our completed work (I'm nosy and love seeing piccies ).

I'll get the ball rolling: I've now finished knitting the sweater that sparked the original post. Now I've remembered just how much I disliked making up the finished garment -definately the worst part of knitting. I've managed to pick up and knit around the neck and I've done the collar, but now I have to work out how to set in the sleeves - hmmmmmm. Any suggestions/tips would be gratefully received. I've never knitted a sweater with shaped armholes before - having stuck to straight seams - but having splurged on the yarn I really want the finished product to look nice.
Page 461
    • berrybug
    • By berrybug 10th Oct 17, 2:33 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 98 Thanks
    berrybug
    Pintrest is another great place for free patterns
    I pray for patience as strength might just get me in trouble !!!!
    • Patricia01
    • By Patricia01 13th Oct 17, 4:46 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Patricia01
    Get them online - you'll have to wait for them to arrive, but I got 3 bunches of circular needles for about £5 on ebay, and they're great for taking your current project out and shoving it into your bag half-way through a row!
    • kittie
    • By kittie 8th Dec 17, 6:58 AM
    • 12,180 Posts
    • 76,417 Thanks
    kittie
    I have been doing a re-think of how I knit, not the method but the sizing and patterns. I recently gave away five bulky hm pure wool items, also home spun, all good but made me look like a very warm whale. Too shapeless and quite honestly too big. It was that old thing of me remaining stuck in my old size, in my head. In actual fact I have lost over 8kg and that is only the start

I have to finish my last afterlight drapey top, in red, this is waist shaped with 2/3 length sleeves. I wish I had made them a size smaller as they hang lower on the shoulders, look nice but not bare for winter, not for me. I want them as layering tops for winter so have bought a couple of black silk ss t shirts to go underneath and that works

So from now on I will be making smaller sized knitwear, smaller than I think I need. I already use a size smaller needle to get tension. I won`t generally be making jumpers but I will be making some cardigans as my aim now is to wear layers, which fits in with all the KM clearing that I have done. I will continue to make ss summer wear as I can use very luxury fibre eg silk/cashmere blends and get pleasure also from spinning them. At the moment, I have grey falkland wool on my wheel and am steadily spinning that up as a 3 ply, destined to be a very useful cardigan, one day
    Last edited by kittie; 08-12-2017 at 7:02 AM.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 22nd Dec 17, 9:23 AM
    • 12,180 Posts
    • 76,417 Thanks
    kittie
    omg, I have just been rooting for my next top, I am not ready yet but am doing a rav browse. The whole of the underneath of my tall bed is full of stash boxes and sealed poly bags of stash, yarn and fibre. The stash I was looking for is not there but was in one of 4 boxes in my craft room. enough stash for my lifetime. I have donated what I don`t want to keep but all of this stash is nice, quality stuff

Next stash use will be noro hanabatake, bought it in an online sale over a year ago. It is random dyed and so I am looking for a sideways knit top with a bit of style. recommended tension is 16-18 rows and 22-24 stitches

This one comes close enough to tension, I am never an accurate tension anyway and there is adaptability in the style

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/al-fresco-3

In the meantime I continue with afterlight, trying to make sense of my scribblings, I shortened the length (shaped) and raised the V. I am about half way and it will take all the christmas holidays. I will set to and work out noro tension, ready to start. Its a nice yarn wool/silk/mohair and will make a special overtop
    Last edited by kittie; 22-12-2017 at 9:30 AM.
    • Glad
    • By Glad 22nd Dec 17, 11:15 PM
    • 17,877 Posts
    • 39,169 Thanks
    Glad
    I've just started knitting again after my daughter asked me to teach her last year
    last week my son's girlfriend asked me to teach her too, which is fun because she takes it home with her then visits twice a week for me to sort it out I bought her some lovely ombre wool from B&M to knit a scarf and also bought a ball in blue and turqoise as they are my daughter's favourite colours, she's living abroad now but I sent her a pic of the wool and said I'd knit her something with it, maybe a hat, she said 'oh that's lovely can you knit me some fingerless gloves', that will be a first for me but I've found a free pattern that states I can knit a pair in 2 hours! I'll start tomorrow
    I'm a Board Guide on the Money Savers Arms, Discussion Time, Wales, Competitions, Marriage Relationships & Families, Health and Pet Care boards. However, please do remember, board guides don't read every post. if you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    Compers please read the Comping Guide
    • kittie
    • By kittie 24th Dec 17, 8:46 AM
    • 12,180 Posts
    • 76,417 Thanks
    kittie
    I am wearing a hm home spun top today, its very easy to wear and very useful as an overtop, for latering. I made mine in a merino/silk blend, approximately equal to an aran wool but I can see me making this over and over in fine yarns. It drapes nicely and is a very simple knit, all stocking and garter. It looks expensive and in the hm yarn is rustic
    https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/urban-poncho-pullover
    I may well make the same in the grey falkland 3 ply that I am spinning, it is a slow spin ie thin singles and three plied together to make a yarn that is rounded, probably more useful to me than a cardigan
    • Glad
    • By Glad 24th Dec 17, 7:40 PM
    • 17,877 Posts
    • 39,169 Thanks
    Glad
    well the pattern I was following for the fingerless gloves was full of mistakes! however I've managed to adapt it and one is finished
    I'm a Board Guide on the Money Savers Arms, Discussion Time, Wales, Competitions, Marriage Relationships & Families, Health and Pet Care boards. However, please do remember, board guides don't read every post. if you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    Compers please read the Comping Guide
    • kittie
    • By kittie 5th Jan 18, 7:56 AM
    • 12,180 Posts
    • 76,417 Thanks
    kittie
    thank goodness for winter I usually manage to get a couple of garments made and have just finished my third and last afterlight. Red one this time and I know why I made them, they are cool and good for layering or wearing on their own in spring. I made the sleeves elbow length so they are not hot tops

My next project is a small one and I already had the yarns in, shetland wool, 5 colours and called a schwook hat
    https://www.hazeltindall.com/shwook-hat#.Wk8uVTenw2w

I had half an hour with nothing to do, a month ago and did the swatch and also the first couple of rows on dpns.

I`ll be ready for my next big make in a week or so and this time will be stash busting a whole box of noro. I first have to do the very dull swatches.

oh yes, I have leftovers in the afterlight yarn, including one whole skein, so will be dividing up today and getting two identical halves of each quantity, to make a pair of socks and any leftovers after that will be made into small hanging bags, I keep them near my spinning wheels for bits and bobs. The sock pattern will be the free one that I had with the gorgeous opal sock yarn
    Last edited by kittie; 05-01-2018 at 8:00 AM.
    • hiddenshadow
    • By hiddenshadow 5th Jan 18, 9:12 AM
    • 2,482 Posts
    • 11,362 Thanks
    hiddenshadow
    Ooh, that hat pattern is lovely.

I'm currently working on a pair of lacy socks which are pretty, but tricky to fit my feet as I knit loosely. Using a lovely yarn from an indie dyer from....Devon, I think? Dorset? somewhere like that.

I'm also trying to spin more (as in, I've spun twice in January and not at all in December, lol). I bought quite a bit of fibre in the year-end sales, and got gifted a braid over Christmas, so I'm looking forward to working with that.
    MFW: £197,100 (2013) to £99,838 (June '18)
    2018 MFW #56: £4,806/£105,000 4% / MFiT-T4 #15: £59,661/£90,000 66%
    • kittie
    • By kittie 6th Jan 18, 11:47 AM
    • 12,180 Posts
    • 76,417 Thanks
    kittie
    I have almost finished the hat, could not put it down and went to bed late but slept like a log. I just have some more reducing rows for the crown and will have to go back to dpns as the row is starting to stretch out on the circular needle. Its very lovely to make and next time I order the shetland wool, I will order a couple of extra colours because it does not use very much of three colours and I can then get two hats out of + two extra balls. I have dozens of ends to weave in but the hat is so warm, I am going to do the wash and block on a bowl and will be very glad to have this warm cosy hat, which will bloom when washed and there will be no air spaces left
    • kittie
    • By kittie 6th Jan 18, 4:31 PM
    • 12,180 Posts
    • 76,417 Thanks
    kittie
    Hat is finished and is drying on an upside down mixing bowl. Took me one and 2/3 of a day and I had to turn the radio off because I needed to concentrate. I love shetland wool, its warmth, the bloom and the way that loose ends don`t unravel when woven in. I have achy fingers and thumb now so need to have a knitting break for a couple of days

I think I will give family adults a choice for next christmas, one of these hats or a pair of hm socks, the choice is in case they would not wear a hat. Now I am going to weigh the remains and work out how many g I used of each colour. It might be that I can make another hat from the same wools but in reversed colours

I am also eyeing up the afterlife yarn remains and the one spare hank will make a pair of socks, might even get 2 pairs from all the remnants. I am thinking that maybe I will try sock circulars, I have some the right length ie 9" but that is a fiddling length to work with, maybe I am missing something, youtube will show me
    • hiddenshadow
    • By hiddenshadow 6th Jan 18, 5:08 PM
    • 2,482 Posts
    • 11,362 Thanks
    hiddenshadow
    I am also eyeing up the afterlife yarn remains and the one spare hank will make a pair of socks, might even get 2 pairs from all the remnants. I am thinking that maybe I will try sock circulars, I have some the right length ie 9" but that is a fiddling length to work with, maybe I am missing something, youtube will show me
    Originally posted by kittie
    I've knit one pair of socks on tiny circs. It was fiddly at first but OK, and definitely went quickly. I haven't been inspired to pull out the tiny needle again, though, so not sure it was a success overall? Might have to try another pair and see if I'm similarly "meh" on them. (I usually do magic loop two at a time.)
    MFW: £197,100 (2013) to £99,838 (June '18)
    2018 MFW #56: £4,806/£105,000 4% / MFiT-T4 #15: £59,661/£90,000 66%
    • kittie
    • By kittie 6th Jan 18, 5:59 PM
    • 12,180 Posts
    • 76,417 Thanks
    kittie
    I have fished out a 10" circular with small bent tips and I have fished out a nice ball of opal. Plenty of youtube videos on using a small circular for socks and I quite like a challenge. That is my next project, doubt I am going to rest my fingers, I want to get cracking

Also I weighed up the left over hat yarns and I have the full amount to make another hat, I just have to reverse two of the darks and 2 of the lights. Definitely value for money, 2 warm very attractive hats for £15
    • blackcatsx2
    • By blackcatsx2 6th Jan 18, 6:03 PM
    • 114 Posts
    • 1,181 Thanks
    blackcatsx2
    Kittie, the hat sounds wonderful. Will you post a photo please when itís finished off?
    • babs 103
    • By babs 103 6th Jan 18, 6:27 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 611 Thanks
    babs 103
    Stripy Cardigan
    Hi, I wonder if anyone can give me some advice please, I brought a pack of DK Stylecraft to make a blanket but never got round to it. I have a favourite pattern for a cardigan which uses the same yarn and has the same tension. I would like to use this yarn to make a stripy cardigan but as each ball is a different colour (although I know they all 'go together') and I have plenty, 18 100g balls I think - I dont know how many stripes of each colour to use, as I wouldn't want to run of one colour .

Do you think if I did 4/8 rows of each colour until I ran out it would be ok? I'm not worried about the stripes not matching up as I'd only wear it around the house.

Or is there another way to do it?

I hope I have explained this correctly, I know what I want to say but it doesn't always come out right when I type it!

Thank you in advance x
    Quot Libros, Quam Breve Tempus

SPC #11 025
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 6th Jan 18, 7:15 PM
    • 2,255 Posts
    • 29,790 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Kittie The idea of hats or socks as presents sounds great. I would think if you keep switching the colours you could end up with most hats different.

babs 103 would thinner stripes of varying sizes appeal. I did that with lots of odds and ends for my GDS a couple of years ago. I had some 25gm wool some 50gm wool and a ball of 100gm. I cast on for a sweater with the 100gm and did all the welts with that colour and thin stripes between the other colours in that colour.

It ended up like a rugby shirt so I made a collar for it like rugby shirts. It was very handy for a 2 year old easy to take on and off. If you just use broad stripes it can make even the skinniest person look fat. The trick is to vary the width and keep your stripes in the same order.
    • babs 103
    • By babs 103 6th Jan 18, 8:59 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 611 Thanks
    babs 103
    Brilliant idea nursemaggie, I will have to do the front, back and both sleeves at the same time on different needles to make sure the stripes were the same tho, but it may work. thank you
    Quot Libros, Quam Breve Tempus

SPC #11 025
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 6th Jan 18, 9:30 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 769 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    Brilliant idea nursemaggie, I will have to do the front, back and both sleeves at the same time on different needles to make sure the stripes were the same tho, but it may work. thank you
    Originally posted by babs 103
    I'm currently doing just this!

I was given four balls of Noro Kureyon in green-purple-blue colours and it is gorgeous, but I spotted a project on Rav by someone who'd done narrow, single-row, stripes using different parts of the same colourway. I'm doing two-rounds in each stripe, but it means I can ignore the colour-changes, really, because unless I'm unlucky and get a long turquoise against a long turquoise then I should be fine!
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 6th Jan 18, 10:04 PM
    • 2,255 Posts
    • 29,790 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    You don't need to do that, just keep copying your previous rows. Just make a pattern with the stripes.
    • europe2014
    • By europe2014 7th Jan 18, 7:49 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    europe2014
    Weave in before or after blocking
    Hi All
    I've knitted a beautiful blanket for my youngest son which I need to block and also weave in the ends - which do I do first, block and then weave in ends or weave in ends and then block?

Also any tips on how best to block - it is knitted in Aran and is about 100cm by 80cm

Thanks in advance
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,294Posts Today

7,062Users online

Martin's Twitter