Credit Card - Discharged bankrupt

Hi Guys,
I was made bankrupt in Feb 2004 discharged feb 2006.

I was just wondering if any place would give me a credit card? Not to spend money that isnt mine but to pay in full every month, just to try and rebuild my credit rating (wouldnt mind if the credit limit was only £50)..

If not how long will it be untill i can obtain any sort of card to try and reistablish my credit rating?

any advice is very welcome as i have tried capital one which i was told cater for people in my situation but was rejected.

Thanks

Comments

• philnicandamy
    philnicandamy Posts: 15,685
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    You'll strugle to find anything really until the BR drops off your credit files in 6yrs, the only thing that'll repair your credit rating is time, there are a couple of cards one of which you already mentioned and Vanquish...they are a ridiculous APR rate and only carry a balance of around £500 or so, why did capital one turn you down? they usually will give you a card with around £250 but you are asked for a deposit first

Since your discharge have you had a look at your credit files and cleaned up any errors? might be something on your files your missing? worth a try

Some more info here

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=677875
    We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will
  • NekoZombie
    NekoZombie Posts: 1,664
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I would say that in today's economic climate (what with all the problems in the US due to lending to people like...erm...us) and the credit crunch, you'll find it very hard to impossible get a credit card at the moment. People with far better ratings are being turned down, let alone former bankrupts.

I think this is a project best shelved for some time in the future.
    BCSC Member 70:j
  • Richard_S
    Richard_S Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    NekoZombie wrote: »
    I would say that in today's economic climate (what with all the problems in the US due to lending to people like...erm...us) and the credit crunch, you'll find it very hard to impossible get a credit card at the moment. People with far better ratings are being turned down, let alone former bankrupts.

I think this is a project best shelved for some time in the future.

Neko, you're bursting all my little bubbles.:eek: :eek:

I was expecting to buy a bigger house, a new car and have a credit card by the end of June this year.:rolleyes: :D:D
  • Richard_S wrote: »

I was expecting to buy a bigger house, a new car and have a credit card by the end of June this year.:rolleyes: :D:D

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
    BSC No 104 :cool: :j
  • NekoZombie
    Forumite
    Richard_S wrote: »

I can believe it. Luckily I'm here to remind you it ain't gonna happen! ......yet :D:D:D
  • Richard_S
    Richard_S Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    NekoZombie wrote: »
    I can believe it. Luckily I'm here to remind you it ain't gonna happen! ......yet :D:D:D

Ouch!!:eek: :eek:

Neko, you must be the conscience and sense of reality that I seem to be lacking.;) ;):D
  • Richard_S wrote: »
    Ouch!!:eek: :eek:

Neko, you must be the conscience and sense of reality that I seem to be lacking.;) ;):D

If you don't have a dream how you gonna make that dream come true :D
    BSC No 104 :cool: :j
  • philnicandamy
    philnicandamy Posts: 15,685
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    nav_logo_environmentality.gif
    We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will
  • NekoZombie
    Forumite
    nav_logo_environmentality.gif

Please sir, can I have some more? :D:D
  • NekoZombie
    Forumite
    If you don't have a dream how you gonna make that dream come true :D

Nothing wrong with dreaming, though one could argue that the 'american dream' is part of the reason for sub-prime mortgage lending and the resulting fall-out is part of the reason why the OP is finding it hard to get a credit card. A clear case of a dream turning into a nightmare.

Not to put to fine a point on it. ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family