Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gax23
    • By gax23 24th Jan 08, 8:53 AM
    • 205Posts
    • 78Thanks
    gax23
    Does anyone actually enjoy it?
    • 24th Jan 08, 8:53 AM
    Does anyone actually enjoy it? 24th Jan 08 at 8:53 AM
    Living on a shoestring. Most of us DFWs have to do it in order to clear our debts, but does anyone actually enjoy it? I must admit, I do get a certain pleasure out of knowing where ALL my money is, down to the pennies. Doing my sums and planning weeks and months in advance where money is going to go. You have to be very organised, and I think that's what does it for me. Having to get creative and come up with new ideas in order to be able to meet payments at the end of the month. Counting the pennies and saying 'no' to temptations in shops and pubs. It's a great feeling.

There's a beer festival on in my town tonight, but I've decided to stay in and watch a film with the MSG tonight (and she really is an MSG - nothing to do with me - she's just really tight with money!!). I feel so dirty... Lol.

Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 29-01-2008 at 8:10 PM.
Page 1
    • poppett
    • By poppett 24th Jan 08, 9:01 AM
    • 889 Posts
    • 1,597 Thanks
    poppett
    • 24th Jan 08, 9:01 AM
    • 24th Jan 08, 9:01 AM
    You are not alone! We have lived on a shoestring for a while now and it was hell but since having my LBM I now find pleasure in working out in advance what's going to get paid of and by when! I am extremely pleased with myself at the moment becasue now when I go into town (only when I HAVE to) I come home empty handed, whereas before my LBM I couldn't resist buying something, anything just as long as I had something to take home. This site has changed my life!!

Enjoy the film Gax, if you'd gone to the Beer festival you would've only regretted it in the morning!
    2 savers club. No.90. Aim 500.
    • kizzykizzywizzy
    • By kizzykizzywizzy 24th Jan 08, 9:21 AM
    • 6,768 Posts
    • 15,125 Thanks
    kizzykizzywizzy
    • 24th Jan 08, 9:21 AM
    • 24th Jan 08, 9:21 AM
    Hi there, yes I do enjoy the working things out part of money saving, I've got a couple of pads where I write down what's coming out each week & check it off when it's come out of the bank I also write down everything i've spent, so I don't forget.
    The only thing I hate is when something or someone sabbotages it ( school wanting money for something or other/car going wrong/ kids being invited to loads of parties in the same week etc )
    I just don't go out to the shops anymore, I can't resist a bargain, so I don't even put temptation in my way.
    My thinking is a year or so of hardship to come out the other end being able to have the odd thing here & ther is not too much to handle.
    Also I love updating my sig & putting in what I'm going to spend each day
    Comping again - wins so far : 2 V festival tix, 2 NFL tix, 6 bottles of wine, personalised hand soap, Aussie miracle conditioner

Married my best friend 15/4/16
  • always_amazed
    • 24th Jan 08, 10:19 AM
    • 24th Jan 08, 10:19 AM
    I do and I don't.
    I do enjoy the fact that I don't feel 'skint' any more as I plan my spending; so if I can't afford it I can't afford it; I don't go to the pub and realise I have no cash; I only go if I have some.

I also enjoy really valuing my friends and spending time with them and making them stuff rather than buying expensive gifts.

But I don't enjoy it being 'sabotaged' either; I get really upset as I tend to have no leeway in that situation.

And I don't enjoy not being able to fully enjoy myself; if I go on holiday I can't 'let loose' because I don't have the cash. I am going next month and that will be the same; but I only go on holiday once a year so by next year I will have budgeted and saved for it so can enjoy myself properly.
    LBM : August 2007
    my debts: less than this time last year....!

DFW Nerd Club #706I'm Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts
    • linniestorm
    • By linniestorm 24th Jan 08, 10:39 AM
    • 340 Posts
    • 275 Thanks
    linniestorm
    • 24th Jan 08, 10:39 AM
    • 24th Jan 08, 10:39 AM
    I do enjoy it in a perverse way. In fact, bar the occasional splurge (due to holiday etc) I'm going to try and keep it up, but instead of it going toward the debt (when it's all paid off), put it toward savings. Do need the occasional treat though! Just every now and again!
    LBM: 01 March 2006 Debt Free Date: 28 April 2008 | Worst Debt: 7244.36
    Savings and Challenges
    Masters Savings Fund: 7367.22
    • cat4772
    • By cat4772 24th Jan 08, 10:45 AM
    • 2,454 Posts
    • 4,347 Thanks
    cat4772
    • 24th Jan 08, 10:45 AM
    • 24th Jan 08, 10:45 AM
    Gaz

I do enjoy planning, budgeting and prioritising. For me and Wayne the ultimate goal is becomming debt free. But we use the challenges for when we've fallen a little off the wagon or can foresee that we might slip. It helps that we can make it fun rather that be a long-haul slog!

Cat.x
    DFW Nerd Club #545 Dealing With Our Debt
    never attribute anything to malice which can be adequately explained by stupidity, [paranoia or ignorance] - ZTD&[cat]
    the thing about unwritten laws is that everyone has to agree to them before they can work - *louise*

March GC 113.53 / 325
  • Gemmzie
    • 24th Jan 08, 10:49 AM
    • 24th Jan 08, 10:49 AM
    Yeah 80% of the time it's good. It makes the treats so much more worthwhile because you don't have to feel guilty about them because you know you can afford them.
    No longer using this account for new posts from 2013
  • rayday2
    • 24th Jan 08, 10:50 AM
    • 24th Jan 08, 10:50 AM
    Can't say I enjoy it, things I enjoy in life are my children, family, my home and money or not is a necessary evil to deal with. I definately will not go without family treats or something just to bring a debt free date down a month. I live in the now, I have good future plans and savings laid down so no one will suffer if I get run over by that bus, but just in case I do there was good stuff in my shopping and something that made the children smile at some point in the week!
  • Cassie123
    • 24th Jan 08, 11:20 AM
    • 24th Jan 08, 11:20 AM
    I enjoy it to some extent. It's nice that I can now check my bank account without feeling terrified, because I know what I've spent each day and month, and giving into temptation is (mostly!!) a thing of the past.

It's frustrating too though! At the moment my big challenge is clearing my credit card. I've paid off nearly 300 this month, but due to the interest payments, it hardly looks any better... that, I don't like! Having said that, then the minimum repayment was 4 less this month, that made me feel good! I can't wait for next month!
    Lightbulb moment Oct 2007
    CC AT August payday 7174.14 7012.49 6837.97 6339.68
  • always_amazed
    That's kind of what I meant as well.
    With the head out of the sand; I don't feel anything like as worried or paniced or annyoed at myself for decieving myself.

But I don't like how slowly I'm getting rid of it all
    LBM : August 2007
    my debts: less than this time last year....!

DFW Nerd Club #706I'm Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts
    • immoral_angeluk
    • By immoral_angeluk 24th Jan 08, 11:44 AM
    • 23,754 Posts
    • 22,635 Thanks
    immoral_angeluk
    I'm addicted. I don't feel right with myself if I haven't checked a spreadsheet or logged into the internet banking... I have to be working towards something.. it feels wrong to spend money on 'stuff' now when It could be spent on debt!
    Total 'Failed Business' Debt 29,043
    Que sera, sera. <3
  • MidlandsMum
    I'm very target-driven, so I find the budgeting easy and I've always had a "want it or need it" mentality when it comes to treating myself, but I'm a sucker for the kids, so I'd love to take them into town and buy them all the cool clothes they want and trainers and all that. They're not really bothered about all that. As long as they have their Nintendos.
    I am, however, starting to think I'd like a new(er) car. My lovely old pug has been a dream since I bought it 3 years ago but it's suddenly started looking a bit tired and battered and I find myself coveting my neighbour's new Fiat Panda. I feel terribly unfaithful. Maybe next year I will be in a position to buy one, after all they aren't that expensive, I've seen them going for 3500 with less than 20k on the clock, or even less than 5k brand new, but not yet. Uh-huh. Not yet.
  • hitback
    I do enjoy this time of year, now that Christmas is over!!! It's good to know that we are not going to arrive home to a massive credit card bill...becuase we no longer have any credit cards!! Ok we may have a big debt to pay off, but at least it's going in the right direction! Certainly makes you wake up to the real value of money, it's a lesson learnt the hard way, but still good to know exactly to the penny what you have in your bank account!!
    Debt at Sept 2006 63,500
    Debt at Sept 2012 24,400
    DFD Dec 2012! (if PPI claims come in) !!
    Official DFW Nerd Club Member 828

Proud to be dealing with my debts
  • hbl
    Yeah, i'm a massive geek, and I don't really like doing things like going out, or spending time with people, so extreme frugality is just an excuse to sit at home and watch telly.
    Student Loan Company Ltd: 17,805 (2.8%) Overdraft: 500 (Interest free)
    Savings: 5,100
    - Target by end of 2008 5,000+
    Net Worth
    1/7/06: -32,698 -- Net Worth 25/8/08: -13,350.
  • SarahNeedle1872
    I must admit, I do enjoy it 95% of the time.... some times I wish I could just say 'stuff it' and go on a mahoosive spending spree.... Last weekend at the BullRing would have been the perfect place...... but at least Iknow that when I do want some clothes, or Connor needs something, or something needs paying, I have got enough money to do it.
    I agree with IA, I don't feel right if I haven't checked my online banking at least once in the day. Not only so I know how much money I've got, but also because I'm paranoid about fraud!
    'We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars' - Oscar Wilde
    • MERFE
    • By MERFE 24th Jan 08, 2:43 PM
    • 1,894 Posts
    • 5,933 Thanks
    MERFE
    I do enjoy budgeting and sticking within the limits but must admit i think i was pushing us too hard and unrealistic for the leisure/other spending budget in order to pay everything off faster but have now amended the budget for the year to allow a bit of taking the kids out in the summer and cover doing something for birthdays as well as presents etc and also so there was a bit extra coming in than going out incase of anything unexpected. It'll take a bit longer to pay off, another couple of months but i suppose its about getting the balance right and i was stressing too much about paying it all before the 0% ends which is never gonna happen so i should just relax a bit more.
    Save 12k in 2018 no 45 4276.48/6000
    • Steameh
    • By Steameh 24th Jan 08, 2:53 PM
    • 239 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    Steameh
    I enjoy knowing where every single penny goes and always planning ahead so I know what the future holds for my financial siatuation but I would enjoy it so much more with a few extra k a month to play with
  • taxi73
    I too enjoy it..I never used to give a second thought if I wanted something but now really shop about for it.I enjoy looking at my bank accounts on line and putting money away every week for my tax and holiday...I only buy things that we need now and am ecstatic that I've just changed the mortgage and will be debt and mortgage free by 2011,....if I'm really frugal...I think I have learnt valuable lessons for the rest of my life now and will be able to build savings for retirement...so yes I'm enjoying it even though it all takes time and effort
    • neverdespairgirl
    • By neverdespairgirl 24th Jan 08, 8:21 PM
    • 16,072 Posts
    • 71,580 Thanks
    neverdespairgirl
    Bet you'll be glad you didn't go to the beer festival when your alarm goes off in the morning!
  • girl-about-town
    I am obsessed with being a dfw and saving my money - to the extent that I can't bear to part with it now!! I check my bank accounts, credit card balance and spreadsheets throughout each day!! The trouble is, I'm wishing my life away at the moment because I can't wait for payday when I can pay some more off!!!
    Student loan debt - Can't bear to think about it! Prob 15,000. arrghh!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,579Posts Today

9,939Users online

Martin's Twitter