Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Former MSE Lawrence
    0 WOW
    Sat-navs from 60 delivered
    • 22nd Jan 08, 12:35 PM
    0 WOW
    Sat-navs from 60 delivered 22nd Jan 08 at 12:35 PM
    What's the deal?

The price of sat nav units is plummeting all the time....

Two current top picks
    • Cheapest: Navigo with full UK mapping. £59.99 delivered
      Available from ebuyer this matches the feature-set of some much higher-end models. It has a 3.5" touch screen, plus 2D & 3D mapping and full postcode search; mp3/4 capability (using SD card slot). Importantly, ebuyer has got hold of up-to-date mapping info for the unit too, which you can download from its product page. Free delivery.
    • Best feedback: TomTom One UK. £119.94 delivered
      In terms of customer feedback, TomTom is the clear market leader. Its most basic model, the TomTom One, is very straightforward to get up and running, and will seldom lead you astray (constant updates available). It's currently cheapest at Halfords, using a special freely-available voucher code (on the linked page). However, as it was £99 at Amazon over Christmas it may be worth waiting for another cheap offer to pop up before buying one.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 23-01-2008 at 8:53 AM.
Page 1
  • tigger and george
    • 22nd Jan 08, 11:54 PM
    Re TomTom One
    • 22nd Jan 08, 11:54 PM
    Can anyone please advise where / how I can get free updates for maps and speed camera locations, assuming either one or both is possible, for TomTom One UK version 2 (bought Christmas 2006)?

Many thanks!

Tigger and George
    • redrolo
    • By redrolo 23rd Jan 08, 12:12 AM
    • 84 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    redrolo
    • 23rd Jan 08, 12:12 AM
    • 23rd Jan 08, 12:12 AM
    Can anyone please advise where / how I can get free updates for maps and speed camera locations, assuming either one or both is possible, for TomTom One UK version 2 (bought Christmas 2006)?

Many thanks!

Tigger and George
    Originally posted by tigger and george
    Not sure about free anymore. You can buy the subscription scratch cards pretty cheaply on ebay, which allows the downloads from the tomtom official website
  • cash-strapped
    • 23rd Jan 08, 12:35 AM
    I got my Tom Tom ONE as a present last April and when I tried to access the 'correction to maps' feature I found it would not allow me to do this on the version of the map that had come in the box. I had to buy an upgraded map (just a few weeks ago) and now I can make corrections to the map in my Tom Tom and send these in to Tom Tom (via the latest software that can be found on the Tom Tom web site) to share with other users. Updates to the map are also available free for 12 months after purchase.

The new map costs almost 30 but well worth the added expense to allow for getting one-way streets, for example, in the right place!
  • Sambuca007
    Well I got a good deal on a TomTom 720, but I ended up having a spare 520 as I had ordered that 1st and there was a huge delay on it.

Could take it back, but I was considering selling it. Its brand new, not even been used once. Its been upgraded to have not only the UK maps but Western Europe, USA and Canada, Eastern Europe and even New Zealand and Austrailia.

This gives it even more maps than the 920 version! I paid £180 for it and that was with just the UK maps and a free ipod cable. I will be keeping the ipod cable but instead have registered lots of V7 latest maps onto it.

So if anyone here is interested, I could let it go for £200? Compared to what the 720 and 920 sell for with less maps, thats pretty good. May as well offer it here before I go down the ebay/amazon route.
    Last edited by Sambuca007; 23-01-2008 at 12:36 AM. Reason: Typo
    • HAVEFAITH
    • By HAVEFAITH 23rd Jan 08, 1:20 AM
    • 556 Posts
    • 141 Thanks
    HAVEFAITH
    • 23rd Jan 08, 1:20 AM
    • 23rd Jan 08, 1:20 AM
    What's the deal?

The price of sat nav units is plummeting all the time....

Two current top picks
    • Cheapest: Navigo with full UK mapping. 59.99 delivered
      Available from ebuyer this matches the feature-set of some much higher-end models. It has a 3.5" touch screen, plus 2D & 3D mapping and full postcode search; mp3/4 capability (using SD card slot),. Importantly, ebuyer has got hold of up-to-date mapping info for the unit too, which you can download from its product page. Free delivery.
    • Best feeback: TomTom One UK. 119.94 delivered
      In terms of customer feedback, TomTom is the clear market leader. Its most basic model, the TomTom One, is very straightforward to get up and running, and will seldom lead you astray (constant updates available). It's currently cheapest at Halfords, using a special freely-available voucher code (on the linked page). However, as it was 99 at Amazon over Christmas it may be worth waiting for another cheap offer to pop up before buying one.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Originally posted by MSE Lawrence
    for 60 quid looks a steal ... are there any unbiased reviews out there other than ebuyers own?
  • cello57
    • 23rd Jan 08, 8:44 AM
    • 23rd Jan 08, 8:44 AM
    There are some critical reviews on the Ebuyer site if you follow the link to 'Read All Reviews'

Interestingly a good number of them seem to criticise the MP3 and Video capabilities of the unit rather than the sat nav and maps.
    • RandyRos
    • By RandyRos 23rd Jan 08, 9:33 AM
    • 541 Posts
    • 215 Thanks
    RandyRos
    • 23rd Jan 08, 9:33 AM
    • 23rd Jan 08, 9:33 AM
    thanks for this, i need a sat nav for holiday this year and was looking for a cheap one.
    If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all
    • hethmar
    • By hethmar 23rd Jan 08, 9:50 AM
    • 10,401 Posts
    • 9,828 Thanks
    hethmar
    • 23rd Jan 08, 9:50 AM
    • 23rd Jan 08, 9:50 AM
    Ive been trawling all the sat nav forum boards for weeks now - until my head aches - trying to get a feel for the best sat nav for me - just uk, need large screen - some of them are TINY - speed cameras and voice direction - (slap round the head facility my OH reckons).

I have after torturing myself over the best buy just ordered the Garmin Nuvi 200W from this company - which seems to have good deals and feedback - £116 + £6.50 pp. Halfords have the 200 for £99 and the 200W for about £125. (The Garmin 300 would have been my choice BUT for the fact it only has the standard 2.8" screen - the 200W has a 4.3" screen). I know this isnt the cheapest offer but if you read reviews on some of the cheapies - (oh and dont buy the cheapie one on ebay £55 ish plus £25 postage - there is a whole forum set up about that one not working for hundreds of people!) then I think the nuvi comes out the best for a low cost. Oh and this month they are offering a free upgrade from the 200 to the 250 - which includes european maps.

http://www.mynewcheap.co.uk/

Reviews Nuvi v TomTom
    http://www.sciuridae.co.uk/my_nuvi_200_sat_nav.htm
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Widescreen-Satellite-Navigation-Mapping/dp/B000TUZVBY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1201082806&sr =1-1
    Last edited by hethmar; 23-01-2008 at 11:40 AM.
    • Dave Fowler
    • By Dave Fowler 23rd Jan 08, 9:59 AM
    • 535 Posts
    • 972 Thanks
    Dave Fowler
    The Navigo SATNAV looks like a great price, but for now you may be stuck with the maps supplied. The link on the Ebuyer web advert to the updated software site now says 'Error the link you clicked on is not available' and 'The download limit has been reached for this file' So don't expect to get an update of the maps as advertised.
    Last edited by Dave Fowler; 23-01-2008 at 10:01 AM.
  • inch71

Many thanks!

Tigger and George
    Originally posted by tigger and george

Hi Tigger & George

I thought I'd let you know about the Speed Camera Database. You can subscribe to this on the Pocket GPS website. It covers all different makes and models of Sat Navs, and as a subscriber, and a Lorry Driver, I can vouch for its usefulness. The subscription costs either £2 per month or £19 per year, saving you £5 over the year. I use the yearly subscription, and as driving all day for a living, consider this to be a small price to pay, considering one speeding fine will cost you £60. It alerts you to all different kinds of cameras, including fixed, mobile, and the new average speed cameras. It also lets you know when you're approaching red light cameras too. They send you a newsletter every month, and from this you can update your sat nav with all the latest cameras. Its well worth the subscription fee if you drive a lot.
    I've posted the link below. I hope this is helpful.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/subscription.php
    Last edited by inch71; 23-01-2008 at 10:09 AM. Reason: mis spellings
    A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

A young loner on a crusade to champion the cause of the innocent,
    the helpless, the powerless, in a world of criminals who operate above the law.
    • wazza
    • By wazza 23rd Jan 08, 11:04 AM
    • 2,575 Posts
    • 350 Thanks
    wazza
    Am i correct in saying the Navigo satnav from ebuyer does not have safety camera alert? Which is the cheapest satnav can you buy that has safety alert?
  • digitallarry
    Sat Nav 520
    Well I got a good deal on a TomTom 720, but I ended up having a spare 520 as I had ordered that 1st and there was a huge delay on it.

Could take it back, but I was considering selling it. Its brand new, not even been used once. Its been upgraded to have not only the UK maps but Western Europe, USA and Canada, Eastern Europe and even New Zealand and Austrailia.

This gives it even more maps than the 920 version! I paid 180 for it and that was with just the UK maps and a free ipod cable. I will be keeping the ipod cable but instead have registered lots of V7 latest maps onto it.

So if anyone here is interested, I could let it go for 200? Compared to what the 720 and 920 sell for with less maps, thats pretty good. May as well offer it here before I go down the ebay/amazon route.
    Originally posted by Sambuca007
    Hi
    Do you still have the 520 Sat nav i am intrested in buying it from you please let me know
    Regards
    Larry
    • hethmar
    • By hethmar 23rd Jan 08, 11:43 AM
    • 10,401 Posts
    • 9,828 Thanks
    hethmar
    Larry - have a look here £172.99 (though this is only GB maps)

TomTom GO 520 MUSIC GB SatNav

NEW! TomTom GO 520 FREE UPGRADE TO Music Edition XMAS OFFER NOW INCLUDES FREE £10 GIFT CARD AND IPOD CABLE!!

http://www.mynewcheap.co.uk/products/details/tomtom-go-520-music-gb-satnav/11002/
    Last edited by hethmar; 23-01-2008 at 11:47 AM.
    • lic
    • By lic 23rd Jan 08, 11:43 AM
    • 276 Posts
    • 123 Thanks
    lic
    Get one for 6 - 12!!!!!!!!!!!
    I posted this a while ago. I've checked today and it is still possible to get one for the price mentioned above. Click the link.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=388247
    Lic.
  • moya
    sat nav
    hi i am a newie to this forum. i have stupidly bought a sat nav from ebay for 50 and 25 postage. where is the forum to get advise from other buyers to reclaim my money. it does not work and seller is not replying to mails..thanks
  • barkingmad
    Contact eBay / Paypal to start their dispute process if it is not as described and the seller is not responding.
    • HAVEFAITH
    • By HAVEFAITH 23rd Jan 08, 1:16 PM
    • 556 Posts
    • 141 Thanks
    HAVEFAITH
    Ebuyer promo codes?
    Out Ebuyer promo codes out there?
    • germish
    • By germish 23rd Jan 08, 1:27 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    germish
    hi i am a newie to this forum. i have stupidly bought a sat nav from ebay for 50 and 25 postage. where is the forum to get advise from other buyers to reclaim my money. it does not work and seller is not replying to mails..thanks
    Originally posted by moya
    You can complain to Ebay but this does not help. You should put down a negative feedback for the seller if you are sure you have received a faulty unit and he does not reply to emails. But stick to facts and do not be offensive and personal as this might mean the seller can have your negative feedback remove by Ebay.
    But be prepared to receive a revenge feedback. Don't worry about it as everybody can clearly see that you received it from a seller. You can also comment saying it is a revenge feedback.

Personally I don't care about me or somebody else receiving negative feedback as a BUYER, unless it's for non-payment.

But negative feedback for a seller is killing his seller reputation and severly damages any possible future sales.

You might get the seller reacting to your feedback to have it removed by mutual concent. But then don't give your cards out of the hand and only finally agree when you're satisfied.

There is a far easier way, if you have paid by PayPal. You can simply reclaim through the PayPal system itself filling out a form and you get your money back without the seller being able to stop it from happening. !!!

Good luck.

1) Don't buy on Ebay from sellers with negative feedback unless it's a small percentage (below 1%). Be aware if somebody has done 60000 sales... 1% is still 600 complaints. You could still be one of them !
    2) Never buy from somebody without any or little sales feedback.
    The one and only sale of a car has to be approached very carefully. Do not send any money or down payment before you are certain that the address and person are real.
    3) Always pay by PayPal if you cannot pay in cash if you pickup the item.

4) Only buy if the seller has feedback on other sales of similar value. Some feedbacks are easily rigged by completing some low value auction for items or electronically supplied goods, to then rip somebody off on the real stuff.

5) Don't get bidding, wait to the end. If you bid before, all you do is "drive up the price" you pay and make other potential bidders and buyers aware that you are interested buying/bidding on the item.
  • karen69
    Hi Tigger & George

I thought I'd let you know about the Speed Camera Database. You can subscribe to this on the Pocket GPS website. It covers all different makes and models of Sat Navs, and as a subscriber, and a Lorry Driver, I can vouch for its usefulness. The subscription costs either £2 per month or £19 per year, saving you £5 over the year. I use the yearly subscription, and as driving all day for a living, consider this to be a small price to pay, considering one speeding fine will cost you £60. It alerts you to all different kinds of cameras, including fixed, mobile, and the new average speed cameras. It also lets you know when you're approaching red light cameras too. They send you a newsletter every month, and from this you can update your sat nav with all the latest cameras. Its well worth the subscription fee if you drive a lot.
    I've posted the link below. I hope this is helpful.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/subscription.php
    Originally posted by inch71
    you could always try not exceeding the speed limit!!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,879Posts Today

8,061Users online

Martin's Twitter