Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 17th Dec 07, 11:26 AM
    • 1,243Posts
    • 3,577Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    Ebay half price listing day
    • 17th Dec 07, 11:26 AM
    Ebay half price listing day 17th Dec 07 at 11:26 AM
    21 Jan 2008

What’s the deal?

This Thursday 24 January 2008 , eBay* is having a half price listing day, so it's a great time to sell off all those unwanted Xmas pressies.

What’s included?

The offer’s valid on Auction-style auctions (not Buy It Now Only (Fixed Price) auctions). See full T&Cs

How much will I pay?

While the fee to list your item is half price, you’ll still have to pay a sale charge if someone buys it. This is a percentage of the auction’s closing price.

How to make the biggest savings.

It’s worth remembering you don't pay a sale charge if your item doesn’t sell. Also normally, the more expensive your item, the more expensive the listing fee. For instance items priced under 99p cost only £15p to list, whereas items over £100 cost £2. So the biggest savings are on items with a high starting prices. Though you’ll still save a bundle if you’re listing lots of small items.

Related links

eBay*
    Full Article: eBay Golden Rules: protect yourself and cut the purchase price

PS: This discussion was originally started by the poster immediately below. This entry has been inserted so I can put an official, fully researched MoneySavingExpert.com explanation at the top. Thank you to Little Pickle for the top spot.

* Using these links helps the site stay ad-free and free to use, as they’re ‘affiliated links’ which invisibly take you via commercial price comparison services like Moneysupermarket or Find, which then pay this site per click

You shouldn’t notice any difference, the links don’t impact the product at all and the editorial line (the things I write) is NEVER impacted by the revenue. If it isn’t possible to get an affiliate link for the best product, it is still recommended and still included. For the sake of transparency go to www.ebay.co.uk for an unaffiliated link. Click on the following link for more details on how this site’s financed.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 22-01-2008 at 8:09 PM.
Page 1
  • Little Pickle
    • 22nd Jan 08, 10:50 AM
    eBay half price listing day... Thursday 24th Jan
    • 22nd Jan 08, 10:50 AM
    thought some of you might like to know....

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/sell/jan_halfprice/?ov=004FM

good luck with your sales!
    LP
    xox
    • poppett
    • By poppett 22nd Jan 08, 10:56 AM
    • 889 Posts
    • 1,597 Thanks
    poppett
    • 22nd Jan 08, 10:56 AM
    • 22nd Jan 08, 10:56 AM
    Thanks for letting us know. I'm slightly miffed as I really wanted to start getting some stuff on EBay and get the pennies rolling in but I cannot for the life of me rememebr where the camera has gone I know we had it just after xmas when we came home from my sisters but haven't seen it since. It's a very old basic one so it's no great loss but without it i can't do ebay. I don't think things sell so well without photo's do they?
    2 savers club. No.90. Aim 500.
  • Little Pickle
    • 22nd Jan 08, 11:00 AM
    • 22nd Jan 08, 11:00 AM
    hmmm, you'd surprised you know... at times when I couldn't put on photos, I just described really, really well. and sold and never got any complaints. But then again, it was for very basic things.

Why don't you list and then update with the photos (remember it costs nothing for the first picture) when you find your camera?

LP
    xox
    • poppett
    • By poppett 22nd Jan 08, 11:12 AM
    • 889 Posts
    • 1,597 Thanks
    poppett
    • 22nd Jan 08, 11:12 AM
    • 22nd Jan 08, 11:12 AM
    A lot of the things I want to list is books (I have collected and read every one by 2 authors but don't think I'll ever read them again so they are gathering dust) so I doubt a picture will be essential if I describe the storyline well, will it.

You know I might go and make a start on listing them rather than doing nowt all day!

Thanks LP
    2 savers club. No.90. Aim 500.
  • alchemista
    • 23rd Jan 08, 8:20 AM
    • 23rd Jan 08, 8:20 AM
    Half-price + auction-only = poor promotion
  • markchadwick
    • 23rd Jan 08, 8:45 AM
    • 23rd Jan 08, 8:45 AM
    Thanks for letting us know. I'm slightly miffed as I really wanted to start getting some stuff on EBay and get the pennies rolling in but I cannot for the life of me rememebr where the camera has gone I know we had it just after xmas when we came home from my sisters but haven't seen it since. It's a very old basic one so it's no great loss but without it i can't do ebay. I don't think things sell so well without photo's do they?
    Originally posted by poppett
    Most people have a camera on their phone nowadays - you could try using that. At least you'll have a photo even if it isn't digital camera quality - although a lot of new mobiles have high-pixel cameras built into them. Another option is your webcam too, obviously wont be great but sufficient for an ebay auction I should think.
    • sylviesinc
    • By sylviesinc 23rd Jan 08, 11:33 AM
    • 119 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    sylviesinc
    • 23rd Jan 08, 11:33 AM
    • 23rd Jan 08, 11:33 AM
    If you're selling standard items like books why not find a photo of the cover on a site like Amazon, for instance, right click it and copy it to your "my pictures" on your computer then you have a perfectly useable photo for EBay.

I've done this loads of times and as long as you accurately describe the condition of the item and state that this is a library picture or similar, no one will mind.
  • bev77
    • 23rd Jan 08, 11:43 AM
    • 23rd Jan 08, 11:43 AM
    A lot of the things I want to list is books (I have collected and read every one by 2 authors but don't think I'll ever read them again so they are gathering dust) so I doubt a picture will be essential if I describe the storyline well, will it.

You know I might go and make a start on listing them rather than doing nowt all day!

Thanks LP
    Originally posted by poppett

Aren't books the same as cd's now? If you put in the ISBN number it'll come up with a picture automatically?

I don't know, just a thought?
  • BlackBladder
    As with all the cheap listing days, note that your item will not be displayed on the US site by default - read the T&C carefully. It's fine if you want to sell to UK only, but not if you are expecting worldwide sales.
  • thefuturesbright
    I remember when ebay used to have free listing days about every 2 weeks,those were the days
    Signature Removed Forum Team 2
    • Lewie
    • By Lewie 24th Jan 08, 6:58 PM
    • 287 Posts
    • 74 Thanks
    Lewie
    Use ebay with caution!
    I started selling a few weeks ago.
    I listed two items, both items were hacked and spoiled by scammers.
    ebay refunded the final valuation fees but kept the insertion fees!!
    What a con.
    I shall stick to the bargain pages.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

89Posts Today

1,988Users online

Martin's Twitter