Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • ringo_24601
    • By ringo_24601 14th Jan 08, 3:55 PM
    • 17,148 Posts
    • 27,896 Thanks
    ringo_24601
    • 14th Jan 08, 3:55 PM
    • 14th Jan 08, 3:55 PM
    Get a lodger. Make sure she's female and comes with a good reference. Sorted.
    • skylight
    • By skylight 15th Jan 08, 10:24 PM
    • 10,424 Posts
    • 16,875 Thanks
    skylight
    • 15th Jan 08, 10:24 PM
    • 15th Jan 08, 10:24 PM
    Women lodgers can be demented too!!

I would say no. Unless I knew the person (lodger) - of which the complications that that entails is a different thread - then I view the safety and wellbeing of my children as way more important that a bit of extra cash.

Once the kids have moved out, then its a different story - let all the rooms you can!
    • Ms Chocaholic
    • By Ms Chocaholic 15th Jan 08, 10:50 PM
    • 9,711 Posts
    • 58,572 Thanks
    Ms Chocaholic
    • 15th Jan 08, 10:50 PM
    • 15th Jan 08, 10:50 PM
    Depends on the age of the teenagers, if 13, 14, 15 maybe not, but if older, 17, 18 and 19, yes get a lodger (preferably female) which will help clear the debt.

Two of his daughters must be sharing a room together anyway so not too much hardship for all three to share and if Bob had the biggest bedroom, he could let all the girls have that and have the smaller room to ease the pressure.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till The End

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
    • Middlestitch
    • By Middlestitch 15th Jan 08, 10:56 PM
    • 1,320 Posts
    • 2,410 Thanks
    Middlestitch
    • 15th Jan 08, 10:56 PM
    • 15th Jan 08, 10:56 PM
    No, not until at least one daughter moves out!
    • Mics_chick
    • By Mics_chick 15th Jan 08, 11:59 PM
    • 11,688 Posts
    • 11,566 Thanks
    Mics_chick
    • 15th Jan 08, 11:59 PM
    • 15th Jan 08, 11:59 PM
    Depends on the age of the teenagers, if 13, 14, 15 maybe not, but if older, 17, 18 and 19, yes get a lodger (preferably female) which will help clear the debt.
    I don't see what the problem is whatever the age of his kids...

Two of his daughters must be sharing a room together anyway so not too much hardship for all three to share and if Bob had the biggest bedroom, he could let all the girls have that and have the smaller room to ease the pressure.
    I think this is an excellent idea
    Originally posted by Ms Chocaholic
    The simple answer is YES imho
    You should never call somebody else a nerd or geek because everybody (even YOU !!!) is an
    "anorak" about something whether it's trains, computers, football, shoes or celebs
    • JeffMinter
    • By JeffMinter 16th Jan 08, 12:13 AM
    • 132 Posts
    • 83 Thanks
    JeffMinter
    • 16th Jan 08, 12:13 AM
    • 16th Jan 08, 12:13 AM
    Surely Bob is getting child payments from the mother (unheard of, I know ) and is entitled to additional income support to help ease the burden?
    • bigpat
    • By bigpat 16th Jan 08, 8:29 AM
    • 260 Posts
    • 127 Thanks
    bigpat
    • 16th Jan 08, 8:29 AM
    • 16th Jan 08, 8:29 AM
    No dilemma here. Of course he should get a lodger. And it's sexist to say it should be a female! Whoever it is, get a reference from ,say, an employer.
  • iainkane
    • 16th Jan 08, 8:50 AM
    • 16th Jan 08, 8:50 AM
    I've got to say I don't think it is a good idea, safety of your kids if they are younger has to be the priority. If they are older and out of school and not studying full time then he should be getting digs off them.

Sad situation is that it might be a case of treading water with the debt until they start to be a bit more independent and clear it when he has less committments in terms of his kids. I wouldn't normally think this is the best idea but I think its better than a stranger in your house with your kids.
    • olly300
    • By olly300 16th Jan 08, 9:09 AM
    • 14,312 Posts
    • 13,632 Thanks
    olly300
    In theory it's a good idea to get a female lodger in but in practise it may be difficult keeping one lodger in for a long enough time to make any difference to his debt.

People I've known who have lodged prefer families with at most one child simply because of practical issues around the bathroom and the amount of space in the house. If there is only one bathroom and the house is not that big i.e. doesn't have at least two reception rooms then Bill would find he would have a high turnover of lodgers which is disruptive for his whole family.

If he does have the space he should get in a female foriegn student, another teenager, or someone who needs the room from Monday-Thursday, someone who will never be in except to sleep.
  • Mrs Thrify
    3 teenagers sharing one room! I think their will be a lot of cat fights. 3 beds, 3 wardrobes and then of course the TV , music centre and playstation, etc
    Then 5 people wanting the bathroom, unless they have an en suite! It will be book your slot for a bath. I can't see Bob keeping the piece for long!
    • JayD
    • By JayD 16th Jan 08, 9:27 AM
    • 517 Posts
    • 326 Thanks
    JayD
    "the only solution is to get a lodger"

So what is the question? If that is the only solution then he must get a lodger!
    All the precautionary measures re vetting the lodger and laying down clear house rules etc of course apply - but if that is his only solution, then clearly that is what he must do.
  • BlackBladder
    Three bedroom house. Currently one man and three girls living there. So two of the girls already share a bedroom.
    • Ken68
    • By Ken68 16th Jan 08, 11:16 AM
    • 6,430 Posts
    • 4,103 Thanks
    Ken68
    Get in a male lodger for him to marry one of the daughters. They have one bedroom, Bob has another and two girls share.
    In addition Bob could ask for extra rent from the lodger on account of him being married and he takes on the expense of looking after his new wife.
    • Grumpysally
    • By Grumpysally 16th Jan 08, 1:10 PM
    • 652 Posts
    • 544 Thanks
    Grumpysally
    Presumably female lodger because of risk to the girls ( or risk to the male lodger from hormonal teenage girls) what about potential boyfriends of female lodger? Would anyone in their right minds want to lodge in a house with three teenage girls? I have to live with one (DD15) I wouldn't like to think I was paying for the privilege. (Well actually I am aren't I. ) : )
  • Adrian McLeod
    a solution to getting a long term lodger
    we live near a laungage school and at certain times of the year when the pennies are hard to come by, we move the eldest of our children in to our bedroom and rent the room for 1 week (sometimes 2 weeks) to 2-3 students, each student pays circa 89 per week and all is required is a basic breakfast and diner (own brand pasta and cereal always a good option)
    This is a handy extra source of income, up to 300 per month if done regularly, it save the inconviance of having strangers in your house for long periods of times and both our children 4 & 10 like the interaCTION WITH THESE NORMALLY VERY WELL BEHAVED STUDENTS.
  • croseus
    Take a lodger,but only if you're absolutely sure of the person.Use your intuition.Don't pick the first one that comes along. I've had bad and good and give advice from experience.Also lock away personal stuff such as credit cards etc(just in case!). Good Luck!
    • happyinflorida
    • By happyinflorida 16th Jan 08, 3:01 PM
    • 724 Posts
    • 610 Thanks
    happyinflorida
    Lodger's
    Yes he should def. get a lodger to help him get out of debt.
    It'll do his daughters good, teach them money doesn't grow on trees and in order to make money you have to make sacrifices, such as sharing your home.
    He could involve his daughters by all of them interviewing prospective lodgers and compiling lists of questions they want to ask ie how much time do you normally spend in the bathroom each day?!
    He could make even more money by offering board and lodging, ie men love this - homecooked meal in the evening and washing and ironing also done - which he can charge more for of course, should make enough to pay off debts very quickly!
    They need to be careful who they bring into their home, preferably someone they know who needs somewhere to stay or they can ask the human resources/personnel depts of large companies in the area if they know of anyone who needs lodgings or can they advertise on their notice boards, that way the person has a good job, always get references and insist on seeing their bank statements for at least the last 6 months if not a years worth, just to make sure.
    • Dorrie
    • By Dorrie 16th Jan 08, 4:50 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    Dorrie
    As his daughters are teenagers they are all old enough to contribute to the household. All three could get part-time jobs - newspaper deliveries pay very well nowadays.

I am assuming that Bob is mature enough (although with 20000 of debts that may be dubious) to explain to his daughters about his money problems and ask them to help.

If they are older teenagers then they may be working anyway, in which case they should already be contributing to the household.
  • thecraftybear
    Not sure how big his bedrooms are for 3 girls to share - could cause problems. Can girls not get small job and start to pay shares in bills etc. Could everyone not start selling off unwanted items?
    Striving down south to stay northern and tight!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

830Posts Today

5,915Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's FRI Twitter poll: As everyone knows, you're a creative genius with an huge range of highly honed skills.? https://t.co/KV5FHAqK6v

• Watching Theresa May... seriously would anyone in their right mind truly want her job right now!

• RT @thecheekypostie: @MartinSLewis Thanks to this, I have just skim read it. To those in Scotland - on page 548, Dounreay is mentioned by n?

• Follow Martin