Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • moneymabel
    • By moneymabel 13th Jan 08, 8:44 PM
    • 7,887Posts
    • 7,066Thanks
    moneymabel
    Tips to stop splurging?
    • 13th Jan 08, 8:44 PM
    Tips to stop splurging? 13th Jan 08 at 8:44 PM
    Hi all,
    I have been lurking on here for quite a while now so thought it was about time i posted.
    I have been in debt since i was about 18-catalogues etc, then after my marriage broke up when i was 27 i was left with a lot of debt from unpaid bills, followed the dreaded consolidation path and ended up with about 11k in debts .
    Over the last few years i have managed to reduce this to the current amount of just under 5k and am determined to pay it off this year. i think i have reduced all the bills/payments i can and am doing pigsback/quidco/slicethepie so i won't bore you all with my S.O A. What i really need help with is the sudden splurges- i am so good and count every penny for months and suddenly throw caution to the wind and buy something stupid...latest being the iphone that is now costing me £35 quid a month....DOH!!!
    Any advice from you lovely people? and yeah feel free to give me a virtual kick up the jacksie !

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Natasha; 15-01-2008 at 7:26 PM.
Page 1
  • jo_b
    • 13th Jan 08, 8:49 PM
    • 13th Jan 08, 8:49 PM
    Hi and welcome to MSE!

You'll find a lot of people have the same temptations so you're not alone but there's a great support network on here!

Have you seen a really good tool on the main site - the demotivator - which helps you to resist temptation?

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/protect/demotivator/

Good luck!
  • MrsB68
    • 13th Jan 08, 8:50 PM
    • 13th Jan 08, 8:50 PM
    I am not going to kick you down - I think you have done a great job to get your debt down to 5K. Give yourself a pat on the back!

If you can afford your purchase then keep it, if not look at returning it - but in future perhaps it may be best to stop and take a step back just as you are going to buy something and remember how far you have come, and how long it takes to get there!
    • ecoelle
    • By ecoelle 13th Jan 08, 8:52 PM
    • 1,504 Posts
    • 3,691 Thanks
    ecoelle
    • 13th Jan 08, 8:52 PM
    • 13th Jan 08, 8:52 PM
    Think of it like a diet. We all go on them, always with good intentions, but sometimes the hot chocolate fudge sunday is just too tempting (yum!) only way to stop yourself from eating it is to not go to where they sell them. If you know you can't afford a new tv don't go to curry's, if you can't afford a phone don't go the the phone shop, sorry if this is harsh but i want you to succeed. You have to remove the temptation and if this means only going food shopping then that is what you need to do. The splurges are there because you are allowing yourself to look at things you know you can't afford, don't beat yourself up for making a mistake but as my auntie madge used to say 'we all make mistakes, only a fool makes the same mistake twice' so put it behind you and move on, you will succeed but you're not going to get anywhere giving yourself a hard time.
    • roomontheend
    • By roomontheend 13th Jan 08, 8:56 PM
    • 424 Posts
    • 1,678 Thanks
    roomontheend
    • 13th Jan 08, 8:56 PM
    • 13th Jan 08, 8:56 PM
    You really need to budget in treats for yourself, currently you are spending on these unplanned experiences. In the back of your mind you think I have been really good lately I'll just buy bla bla. However if you budget in a treat then you won't be tempted to spend silly amounts.
    Total debt Feb 2012 = £54354.11
    Paid = £22641.01 Current = £31713.10
    Paid = £28,360.07 Current = £25,994.0
    Paid = £29,428.79 Current = £24,925.32
    Paid = £30,277.72 Current = £24,076.39
    Paid =. Current = £22,910.64
    • poorandindenial
    • By poorandindenial 13th Jan 08, 9:01 PM
    • 4,072 Posts
    • 5,285 Thanks
    poorandindenial
    • 13th Jan 08, 9:01 PM
    • 13th Jan 08, 9:01 PM
    Hello and welcome to the board.

I have been keeping a spending diary for the last two weeks (after a first attempt that was aborted when I got over excited when I realised I could save over £100 a month by taking food to work and not buying breakfast on the way to work)

This has really helped me to question what I am spending, I know that if I splurge on something I will be confronted with it again in my debt diary. My friends are all amazed (and slightly bemused) by the change that has come over me, I am sort of in competition with myself to not spend.

Other than that, don't beat yourself up over what you have already spent, start afrsh and really focus on asking yourself 'do i need it' when you go to buy something, I had always written this off but it really is working (in combination with my spending diary).

Well done on geting as far as you have with reducing your debts, you have done brilliantly and if you can do that with the occasional splurge then so be it, you don't want to feel so deprived that you throw the whole thing away, a treat from time to time won't ruin anything (treats all the time might) when you feel bad after splurging, either undo it by taking it back or draw a line under it and start afresh.

Another option when you get the urge to splurge is to tell yourself you can have it when you have paid of £1000 (or whatever number you choose) of your debt. I bet that most of the time you will have forgotten about it by the time that day comes round.

Good luck with sorting out the rest of your debts!
    £34,547 (Dec 07); Current debt: £zilch (Debt free December 2010)
    Sealed Pot #389 (2010=£133)
    • moneymabel
    • By moneymabel 13th Jan 08, 9:02 PM
    • 7,887 Posts
    • 7,066 Thanks
    moneymabel
    • 13th Jan 08, 9:02 PM
    • 13th Jan 08, 9:02 PM
    thanks to you all for your fast replys! jo_b i have checked out the demotivator tool but as i only do stupid things like this once a year or so and for different things it doesn't really work! piggy bank 68 unfortunately i can't return the phone as it is an 18 month contract.
    ecoelle -your auntie madge sounds like a wise woman and the diet is a good analogy -trouble is now i really fancy a choc fudge sundae.....
    I feel a bit of a fake on here as i am not really hard-up and have my debt in control ( i mean not adding to it in anyway)-i just want to pay it off faster. I don't pay interest as my relative has lent me the money to pay the loan so i pay him back, i just wanna be debt free for the first time since i was 18!!!!! but i can't seem to stop tripping myself up.
    • splishsplash
    • By splishsplash 13th Jan 08, 9:05 PM
    • 2,840 Posts
    • 8,126 Thanks
    splishsplash
    • 13th Jan 08, 9:05 PM
    • 13th Jan 08, 9:05 PM
    I have a planned 'splurge' about two or three times a year. I save up a set amount monthly towards nothing in particular, then whenever the mood hits us (me and dds 1 & 2) will take off and shop till we drop.
    What happens then is that I have a minor freak out that night - even though I know we had the money :confused: and it puts me right off wanting to shop again for months! Meanwhile my 'splurge pot' is quietly accumulating a little every month until the next fit takes us.
    Not everyone's answer, I know, but it works for me!
  • jo_b
    • 13th Jan 08, 9:06 PM
    • 13th Jan 08, 9:06 PM
    thanks to you all for your fast replys! jo_b i have checked out the demotivator tool but as i only do stupid things like this once a year or so and for different things it doesn't really work!

I feel a bit of a fake on here as i am not really hard-up and have my debt in control ( i mean not adding to it in anyway)-i just want to pay it off faster. I don't pay interest as my relative has lent me the money to pay the loan so i pay him back, i just wanna be debt free for the first time since i was 18!!!!! but i can't seem to stop tripping myself up.
    Originally posted by moneymabel
    You sound like you're doing really well, managing your debts. A once a year slip-up is good going so don't be so hard on yourself.
    • moneymabel
    • By moneymabel 13th Jan 08, 9:07 PM
    • 7,887 Posts
    • 7,066 Thanks
    moneymabel
    roomontheend and poorandindenial, thanks so much, i think thats most of the problem-i cut back so hard that sometimes i just can't take it and go stupid, like you say if i plan a (small!!) treat now and then that should help.
    i was saving £2 coins (before i read the thread on here) on the thinking that if i wanted a treat then i would take it out of that jar,then, when i got to £50 i couldn't justify treating myself and paid for my M.O.T instead. then 2 weeks later the iphone incident...^&*(*& STUPID!!
    • moneymabel
    • By moneymabel 13th Jan 08, 9:10 PM
    • 7,887 Posts
    • 7,066 Thanks
    moneymabel
    thanks jo_b :-)

splishsplash thats a really good idea-probably i would end up spending it on car tax or something though lol!!
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 13th Jan 08, 9:10 PM
    • 58,054 Posts
    • 239,009 Thanks
    beanielou
    What I try really really hard to do is avoid shops~then Im just not tempted.

You are doing so well.
    Welcome to MSE.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • moneymabel
    • By moneymabel 13th Jan 08, 9:13 PM
    • 7,887 Posts
    • 7,066 Thanks
    moneymabel
    thanks beanielou-i can avoid shops...trouble is i bought it on-line..!! will spend all my time on here instead of shopping and i have just listed 10 things on ebay, and listened to some godawful tunes on slicethe pie to repent my sins!!
    • Numpty Monkey
    • By Numpty Monkey 13th Jan 08, 9:19 PM
    • 13,384 Posts
    • 29,768 Thanks
    Numpty Monkey
    Right shineing my shoes to kick you up the asre

you have done brilliant getting your debts down
    Ask yourself do I need it now:confused: or do I want to buy it in a few months at a cheaper price and owe nobody for it
    PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBT NERD #869
    Numpty,Not sure why but I'm crying . Of all the peeps on this board you're the kindest & most supportive of all & I'm & for you all at the same time . Wish I was there to give you a big & emergency hobnobs
    xx
    DFD 5/1/16
    • moneymabel
    • By moneymabel 13th Jan 08, 9:29 PM
    • 7,887 Posts
    • 7,066 Thanks
    moneymabel
    thanks numpty monkey ( i love your name!!!!!!!!!) lol-i am honoured that you are polishing your shoes first :-)
    That is what i need to do...stop and think about things instead of just rushing in,buying it and worrying about the consequences later.

I will be debt free by 2009.
    • debbiedebt
    • By debbiedebt 13th Jan 08, 9:33 PM
    • 224 Posts
    • 891 Thanks
    debbiedebt
    The iphone is so yummy if O2 worked in my area I would probably done exactly the same.

Since I found this website I have become addicted to it and together with my spending diary is keeping me on the straight and narrow.

You are doing fantastically well keep it up.
    Debt Free Date December June 2019

GC January £0/£180
    • moneymabel
    • By moneymabel 13th Jan 08, 10:19 PM
    • 7,887 Posts
    • 7,066 Thanks
    moneymabel
    hi debbiedebt,
    Yeah gotta admit it is brill and as my Internet connection has been off for a fortnight thanks to bt I have been using it to come on this site.
    I know thats not justification though and as I am paying for it each month I am constantly reminded of my stupidity- hopefully that will be motivation not to do it again. I don't spend loads on clothes, my car is in good nick ( fingers crossed) dont smoke or drink and my hobby is crafting which as I work in a craft shop I get discount. My weakness is phones and now I'm stuck with this contract I should ( will) be debt free by the time I am tempted to buy the next one. I must say that this one was paid for and not bought on credit so I haven't increased my debt just increased my debtfree date by a couple of months. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • archived user
    Moneymabel, stop beating yourself up; we all get an attack of 'the spends' now and again but we just need to move on afterwards. You're on the right track using MSE, you're aware of the problem, and using the advice above you'll be fine!
    I hadn't thought about having a 'splurge pot' but I like the idea - my weakness is clothes (oh and chocolate of course!) but if I only bought them when there was enough in the splurge pot...
    Good luck
  • wydsiwyrg
    The simple answer is to ask yourself if you have the cash to afford anything you buy when you buy it. If you do (and that means having no debt, because if you have debt you have no cash that is yours legally!) then don't buy it if you don't need it to live. It's a shame, but it's true - once you're in debt all you can afford are life's essentials.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,889Posts Today

7,471Users online

Martin's Twitter