Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 10th Jan 08, 1:48 PM
    • 3,431Posts
    • 20,884Thanks
    purpleivy
    Pastry Economics
    • 10th Jan 08, 1:48 PM
    Pastry Economics 10th Jan 08 at 1:48 PM
    Pastry Economics

Home made Short crust Pastry

Cost 27p/500g

Saxbyís Short crust Pastry

Cost 88p/500g from Mr T

Home made all butter short crust pastry

Cost 50p/500g

Jus-Rol frozen all butter short crust pasty

Cost £2.49 from Mr T.

And I used to just chuck em in my shopping bag! Although I donít use that much pastry, it doesnít take long to save some pennies (or ££££)
Page 1
  • ravylesley
    • 10th Jan 08, 1:57 PM
    • 10th Jan 08, 1:57 PM
    oooh that hurts!!

I have to admit when I worked full-time I was the same.Just goes to show how much you can save though

Lesleyxx
    • purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 10th Jan 08, 1:59 PM
    • 3,431 Posts
    • 20,884 Thanks
    purpleivy
    • 10th Jan 08, 1:59 PM
    • 10th Jan 08, 1:59 PM
    I think it should read 'Gold Plated' rather than All Butter!
    • aurorahelios
    • By aurorahelios 10th Jan 08, 2:20 PM
    • 374 Posts
    • 2,041 Thanks
    aurorahelios
    • 10th Jan 08, 2:20 PM
    • 10th Jan 08, 2:20 PM
    A lot of the cheaper ready made pastry have hydrogenated fats, so probably better for your health to make your own (as well as your pocket).
    • freyasmum
    • By freyasmum 10th Jan 08, 2:21 PM
    • 16,731 Posts
    • 48,923 Thanks
    freyasmum
    • 10th Jan 08, 2:21 PM
    • 10th Jan 08, 2:21 PM
    Wow! I'm glad I don't buy shortcrust

I admit I do buy puff pastry (however, only occassionaly), but only because it's a lot of faff if I'm just doing something small. Shortcrust can be done very quickly and easily

Lx
    • aurorahelios
    • By aurorahelios 10th Jan 08, 2:27 PM
    • 374 Posts
    • 2,041 Thanks
    aurorahelios
    • 10th Jan 08, 2:27 PM
    • 10th Jan 08, 2:27 PM
    I buy puff pastry as well, but usually only when I see the decent stuff reduced and can freeze it.

I've never bought ready made shortcrust though, too easy to make.
  • Lyndsay_21
    • 10th Jan 08, 2:43 PM
    • 10th Jan 08, 2:43 PM
    i must admit i buy my pastry i just can't make it no matter how many times i've tried it just wont happen....you win some you lose some!!
  • Cazzdevil
    • 10th Jan 08, 3:00 PM
    • 10th Jan 08, 3:00 PM
    It's never even crossed my mind to buy shortcrust pastry, it's too easy to just make yourself. My mother taught me when I was pre-teen and she always said my naturally cold fingers made beautiful pastry
    • purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 10th Jan 08, 3:02 PM
    • 3,431 Posts
    • 20,884 Thanks
    purpleivy
    • 10th Jan 08, 3:02 PM
    • 10th Jan 08, 3:02 PM
    My dd has hot little hands, but she likes making cakes, so no problem there!
    • purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 11th Jan 08, 5:46 PM
    • 3,431 Posts
    • 20,884 Thanks
    purpleivy
    Update! I made quiches for tonight. Ham, cheese and onion for three of us and cheese and onion for dd. Individual ones, pastry rolled nice and thin.

After we'd had them and they said how lovely they were, I said, "Btw, this is the pastry I made". Hubby said he thought I bought pastry, so I told them how it was.... bought is 3x price. I told them that I was trying to plan around what was in the house and trying to avoid throwing things away ( we started with spicy veg soup largely made with what I trawled from the fridge, including the last 3 parsnips from christmas and the salad left on the chopping board that dd and I didn't finish at lunch time. I pointed out that soup was left overs. ).

Oh! the quiches...the plan was to use some of the ham left over at Christmas, currently residing in the freezer, the last of the cream. WHen I dipped my finger in the cream I decided it wasn't good enough, so had a change of plan. I made some scones and we had them with clotted cream that was left over from Christmas.

They said they had really enjoyed everything they had had this week....... well, they would, it was all HM!
    • shimmigirl
    • By shimmigirl 11th Jan 08, 6:07 PM
    • 327 Posts
    • 417 Thanks
    shimmigirl
    ok - in my bid to learn a new recipe every week to expand my limited cooking skills - could someone give me a foolproof (for fool read 4 year old village idiot!!) recipe for their shortcrust pastry.

also is there a separate recipe for sweet shortcrust and normal shortcrust pastry??

Thanks
    shimona
  • Maxjessdru
    shimmigirl - I always make mine in a foodprocessor - so much quicker. Basically you need half fat to flour for whatever quantity you make. I normally make 8oz plain flour with 2oz lard and 2oz butter. Put the flour into the processor then put the fat in in small cubes. Pulse for a few seconds at a time until there are no big lumps of fat and the mix resembles fine breadcrumbs. I then tip the mix into a large bowl and put some cold water in a jug. Drip the water in a few drops at a time. You really need to get your hands dirty at this point - work the mix until it starts to come together and you can roll the dough around the dish and there are no crumbs in the bottom. If you add the water very slowly you won't add too much. You then need to put the pastry into clingfilm and let it rest in the fridge for 1/2 hour or so - it really is best to work with cold pastry to stop it going greasy. Then just roll out and use for whatever you need. With practice only takes a minute or so. You can add a little caster sugar for sweet shortcrust pastry but I never do - there is usually enough sweetness in the filling (ie apple pie, mince pices) for you not to notice
    • shimmigirl
    • By shimmigirl 12th Jan 08, 10:19 AM
    • 327 Posts
    • 417 Thanks
    shimmigirl
    Hi MaxJessDru
    I have a new all singing food processor that bought at start of <Maternity leave, to make cakes etc with 4 year old and make my own baby foods, so I will give the pastry a go during the week and maybe make a pie?
    Thanks
    Shimona
  • poodlehorse
    This is my great aunt's recipe which I use for my mince pies. I have to disagree with Maxjessdru about sweetening pastry, I do think it makes a difference. I use the recipe below and my MIL uses an unsweetened pastry and even DH says mine are better. To me the lack of sugar in the pastry jars a bit with the sweet filling. I think it is all down to personal preference as usual. This does make a very rich "short" pastry and it is so melt in the mouth. I guess my MIL could just make bad pastry of course but I wouldn't dare suggest it!! I also use this for my apple pies but I prefer my filling on the tart side so maybe that is why I get away with it.

Rich Shortcrust Pastry
    7 oz plain flour
    4oz marg
    2oz caster sugar
    1 egg

Amalgamate fat, sugar and egg yolk. Add all flour and rub in.. Moderate oven for 20 mins.
  • poodlehorse
    HEre's the same aunt's recipe for Cheese pastry, they are copied from her recipe book so sorry if the method is a bit sketchy, I have to admit I haven't got round to trying this one.

Cheesey Pastry

3oz flour
    2oz marg
    2oz cheese
    good pinch cayenne
    ľ tsp salt

Put flour, salt and cayenne into a bowl. Add marg and grated cheese. Knead mix with hand till well bound. Roll and !!!!!. Cut out shapes. Bake at 350ļF for 10-15 mins.
  • OliveOyl
    Do you have any instructions for puff pastry? i do end up buying that because the last time I made puff pastry was for my food & nutrition o-level and it took all morning
  • moanymoany
    I think one reason for pastry going hard is that it is too wet, this means when you roll it out you add more flour and the balance of fat/flour gets out of sync. I add cold water a desertspoon at a time till it just 'holds' together.

If you make pastry with a little extra fat, this can help when more flour is used on rolling out.

Lard and butter gives a nicer pastry than all butter. If you're veggie the Trex white solid fat is a very good substitute.
  • moanymoany
    I think one reason for pastry going hard is that it is too wet, this means when you roll it out you add more flour and the balance of fat/flour gets out of sync. I add cold water a desertspoon at a time till it just 'holds' together.

If you make pastry with a little extra fat, this can help when more flour is used on rolling out.

Lard and butter gives a nicer pastry than all butter. If you're veggie the Trex white solid fat is a very good substitute.
    • purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 25th May 08, 2:41 PM
    • 3,431 Posts
    • 20,884 Thanks
    purpleivy
    Pastry Economics

Home made Short crust Pastry

Cost 27p/500g

Saxbyís Short crust Pastry

Cost 88p/500g from Mr T

And I used to just chuck em in my shopping bag! Although I donít use that much pastry, it doesnít take long to save some pennies (or ££££)
    Originally posted by purpleivy
    Was just having a look to see if the price of shop pastry has gone up since I first wrote this in January... It is now listed at 86p! Made mostly of flour, which has gone up in price!
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
    Trying not to waste food!
    • beemuzed
    • By beemuzed 25th May 08, 3:22 PM
    • 2,188 Posts
    • 20,281 Thanks
    beemuzed
    That's some lesson in economics! I usually make my own pastry if it's me cooking, but usually it's DH, and when he is cooking a pie he'll buy the pastry as it's something he's never made. Think I'd better show him, don't you?
    Resolution:
    Think twice before spending anything!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

576Posts Today

5,798Users online

Martin's Twitter