Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 21
    • osborne
    • By osborne 17th Apr 18, 2:06 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    osborne
    Credit Card Advice
    Hi

I am about to make a large purchase of aprox £2,000 and have no credit card at the moment, I have looked at the options and it appears that the balance transfer deals are the best. Would it be the best option for me to get a credit card to make the purchase and then get a balance transfer deal or get a money transfer card (with higher initial fees) or a spending card?

Also, I'm not clear from the information I have seen if a 0% spending card is just that and you are able to spend on it for anything within the 0% period with no charges at all (assuming you pay off the minimum monthly amount) or if there are fees/charges attached to these cards?

Thanks
    • zx81
    • By zx81 17th Apr 18, 2:09 PM
    • 18,596 Posts
    • 19,849 Thanks
    zx81
    A purchases card would make more sense and be cheaper, as they have no fees.
    • joecola
    • By joecola 30th Apr 18, 1:59 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    joecola
    Balance transfer from AA credit card
    my 0% balance AA credit card is coming to the end and I have just tried to transfer to a HSBC credit card, but it was rejected.
    I have seen online people having the same issues. Does anyone know what credit card company/bank would accept the balance transfer (hopefully online so I don't have to go into the bank itself).
    Thanks

Joe
    • CCS1234
    • By CCS1234 1st May 18, 4:10 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    CCS1234
    Capital One Balance Transfer
    Hi,

I have a capital one credit card which I got about 2 years ago, to help improve my credit rating.
    I am now in the process of paying it off and it is a small amount, however every month when I go to pay a chunk off at least 1/3 is put back on in interest.So as much as i'm paying off, it's never as much as I think.
    I've never missed a payment, and I always pay way over the minimum payment amount, but sometimes just not the full balance as i'm unable to.
    I would like to try and transfer the balance to a 0% but when I called up before I believe they told me I was unable to transfer the balance to another card. Is anyone able to advise on this? or have had the same issue?
    Thanks
    • Nojagsjoan
    • By Nojagsjoan 1st May 18, 4:12 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Nojagsjoan
    Not happy!!
    Hi there!
    I used a favourable balance transfer offer from Barclaycard to create a credit balance on my Tesco credit card in readiness for car purchase. This transaction did not happen so I requested that the credit balance was transferred into my current account. This action was confirmed to me, however the following day Tesco payments dept contacted me to say that the money had to be returned to Barclaycard. I was not happy and told them that I wanted the fee charged by Barclaycard, also compensation for inconvenience be credited to my current account in this instance. Five telephone calls later and this matter has not been resolved to my satisfaction.
    Views and advice please!!
    • zx81
    • By zx81 1st May 18, 4:17 PM
    • 18,596 Posts
    • 19,849 Thanks
    zx81
    Don't try to put your card into a positive balance as it breaches the terms.

Hopefully all you have lost is the fee and they won't close your card.
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 1st May 18, 4:32 PM
    • 25,177 Posts
    • 12,431 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    Hi there!
    I used a favourable balance transfer offer from Barclaycard to create a credit balance on my Tesco credit card in readiness for car purchase. This transaction did not happen so I requested that the credit balance was transferred into my current account. This action was confirmed to me, however the following day Tesco payments dept contacted me to say that the money had to be returned to Barclaycard. I was not happy and told them that I wanted the fee charged by Barclaycard, also compensation for inconvenience be credited to my current account in this instance. Five telephone calls later and this matter has not been resolved to my satisfaction.
    Views and advice please!!
    Originally posted by Nojagsjoan
    Just for one moment think about this transaction from Tesco's point of view---------money comes in to put account in credit---------then you ask for it to be put into a different account ------it could (not saying it is) smack of money laundering.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • kainem10
    • By kainem10 2nd May 18, 10:56 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    kainem10
    Balance transfer card or another lon to pay off current high APR rate loan?
    I have a current car loan with £10,000 left to pay, at a 7% interest rate. Am i best taking another loan with a littler interest rate (loan elligablity calc suggests i can) or should i use a balance transfer credit card with 0% for up to 30 months? or have i misunderstood the consept of a balance transfer card?
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 3rd May 18, 4:06 PM
    • 25,177 Posts
    • 12,431 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    I have a current car loan with £10,000 left to pay, at a 7% interest rate. Am i best taking another loan with a littler interest rate (loan elligablity calc suggests i can) or should i use a balance transfer credit card with 0% for up to 30 months? or have i misunderstood the consept of a balance transfer card?
    Originally posted by kainem10
    Is there an early settlement fee on the loan?
    Unless your loan provider accepts credit cards (most don't) then a balance transfer card is of no use to you.
    You will need a money transfer card.

Do you think you will get a card with a high enough limit and if you do get a card bear in mind the fee for doing the money transfer.
    You could be no better off.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • Mairi343
    • By Mairi343 11th May 18, 2:48 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mairi343
    Bit confused help needed
    Hi so I have about £4500 on my current credit card but Iím not getting anywhere paying it off wanted to look at getting a 0% interest 0 fee card (not 100% necessary) but when Iíve applied for one of the options theyíve given me on here for example Barclays it says thereís a credit limit of £1200 on the new card does that mean I can only transfer 1200 off my current credit card or is that on new purchases? Hope that makes sense but new to all this stuff so any help would be great
    • zx81
    • By zx81 11th May 18, 3:29 PM
    • 18,596 Posts
    • 19,849 Thanks
    zx81
    That's the representative limit. The one you get may be higher or lower.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,123Posts Today

8,152Users online

Martin's Twitter