Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ophie
    • By Ophie 30th Dec 07, 10:58 AM
    • 4,761Posts
    • 8,986Thanks
    Ophie
    Traditional New Year Meal?
    • 30th Dec 07, 10:58 AM
    Traditional New Year Meal? 30th Dec 07 at 10:58 AM
    HI

I wondered if you had any traditional New Years meal in your house. If so would you be good enough to let me know I am looking for inspiration and actually planning what to buy before venturing to Tesco!!!

So any help would be gratefully received. I need a meat eaters meal and a veggie meal.

Thank you
    I saw two shooting stars last night
    I wished on them but they were only satellites
    Is it wrong to wish on space hardware
    I wish, I wish, I wish you'd care
Page 1
    • salster
    • By salster 30th Dec 07, 11:01 AM
    • 172 Posts
    • 459 Thanks
    salster
    • 30th Dec 07, 11:01 AM
    • 30th Dec 07, 11:01 AM
    In our house it's Turkey.

Even when everyone else is sick of it, I'm all ready to cook another one.

My sister tends to do Pork and Chicken, nut for me it's basicall another Christmas dinner.
    Aiming to be Debt free by October 2013
    • Debt_Free_Chick
    • By Debt_Free_Chick 30th Dec 07, 11:10 AM
    • 13,149 Posts
    • 9,492 Thanks
    Debt_Free_Chick
    • 30th Dec 07, 11:10 AM
    • 30th Dec 07, 11:10 AM
    Anything seasonal

Pheasant?

You might still get a Goose

Otherwise, play safe and go for Beef or Pork.
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac
    • lil_me
    • By lil_me 30th Dec 07, 11:43 AM
    • 13,142 Posts
    • 115,691 Thanks
    lil_me
    • 30th Dec 07, 11:43 AM
    • 30th Dec 07, 11:43 AM
    On the might still get a Goose, if you have time to defrost them Aldis had them in frozen in the one near me, was suprised to see some left on Christmas Eve when I was in there.

New Years Day is supposed to be beef here depending if anyone feels up to it....or I could just do the Turkey that is in the freezer uneaten from Christmas
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: 200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • MissEyre
    • 30th Dec 07, 11:50 AM
    • 30th Dec 07, 11:50 AM
    I do a big soup-its comforting, can sit on the hob for ages if people are getting up very slowly, and contains tons of veg and fluids to hydrate those with poorly heads. But then I don't have a full sit down New Years lunch-just leave it on the side for anyone who needs feeding.
  • perfectlypoor
    • 30th Dec 07, 11:57 AM
    • 30th Dec 07, 11:57 AM
    we normally go to my parents where we basically eat another christmas dinner or if we stay at home we have a roast of some sort depending on how we feel from the night before might be a big christmas type meal of just lamb/pork chops,mash and peas.
    LBM-29/08/07
    Good Enough Club member no 42
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 30th Dec 07, 11:58 AM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 36,166 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    • 30th Dec 07, 11:58 AM
    • 30th Dec 07, 11:58 AM
    My friend bought an Aldi goose, she said it was enormous....and all she got from it was a sideplate of meat.

We're having beef as we haven't had beef so far this christmas.
    • grunnie
    • By grunnie 30th Dec 07, 12:20 PM
    • 1,709 Posts
    • 10,204 Thanks
    grunnie
    • 30th Dec 07, 12:20 PM
    • 30th Dec 07, 12:20 PM
    Chicken broth with homemade bread
    Roast beef roast potatoes yorkshires sprouts homegrown carrots green beans and peas gravy and skirlie
    Home made raspberry cheesecake with cream ( with homegrown rasps)
    It sobers them up quite quickly when they think they might miss lunch
    • freyasmum
    • By freyasmum 30th Dec 07, 12:56 PM
    • 16,730 Posts
    • 48,917 Thanks
    freyasmum
    • 30th Dec 07, 12:56 PM
    • 30th Dec 07, 12:56 PM
    Steak pie! With loads of creamy mash and vegetables

My mum is the best at making it, she always add pork links (sausages) to it and it's delicious. Funnily enough though, no one likes it made with beef links .

Lx
    • fletch3163
    • By fletch3163 30th Dec 07, 1:01 PM
    • 884 Posts
    • 2,543 Thanks
    fletch3163
    Big pot of home made sick, Big Desperate Dan steak pie (yes links, chunky veg and pie paste on top) and trifle.
    Grocery Challenge M: 450/425.08 A: 400/.May -400/361 June 380/230 (pages 18 & 27 explain)
    • Ophie
    • By Ophie 30th Dec 07, 1:10 PM
    • 4,761 Posts
    • 8,986 Thanks
    Ophie
    Big pot of home made sick, Big Desperate Dan steak pie (yes links, chunky veg and pie paste on top) and trifle.
    Originally posted by fletch3163
    I think I'll pass dinner at your house if you don't mind
    I saw two shooting stars last night
    I wished on them but they were only satellites
    Is it wrong to wish on space hardware
    I wish, I wish, I wish you'd care
  • dorry
    hi,

We always have a huge lunch on New Years day. We haven't got babysitters, so we are always raring to go on New Years day, as we have stayed in New Years Eve and have had a good sleep!

We always have leg of lamb, with rosemary and garlic. roasties, mash, sprouts, peas, carrots, parsnip, stuffing, sausagement, redcurrant jelly and yorkshire puddings.
    'If you judge people, you have no time to love them'
    Mother Teresa
  • Jayar
    For as long as I can remember we have also had steak pie with mashed tatties and neeps in our house. It's the only time of year I make it from scratch. Mind you, I don't make the pastry myself now. Ready made is much better than I can do
    A friend is someone who overlooks your broken fence and admires the flowers in your garden.
    • freyasmum
    • By freyasmum 30th Dec 07, 1:21 PM
    • 16,730 Posts
    • 48,917 Thanks
    freyasmum
    Jayar which kind of pastry do you use? My mum (and I) use puff.

It's a bit of a faff to make just for a bit of steak pie, so we buy it too. Nothing to be ashamed of....

Now I'm off into hiding

Lx
  • Jayar
    Looks around for freyasmum:confused:
    Oh well, when she comes back will someone tell her I use puff pastry too. I don't cook it on the pie now, just do squares separately in the oven. Nice and errr puffy?
    A friend is someone who overlooks your broken fence and admires the flowers in your garden.
    • freyasmum
    • By freyasmum 30th Dec 07, 1:30 PM
    • 16,730 Posts
    • 48,917 Thanks
    freyasmum
    Hi Jayar
    Yum! That sounds delicious. I might do that the next time I make it, but this year I'll be at my mum and dad's Mum always makes it *on* the pie so that the bottom absorbs the juice (that actually sounds horrible but it isn't, I promise ) and the top goes crispy. In fact, she's already got it made.

Lx
    • Fitzio
    • By Fitzio 30th Dec 07, 3:19 PM
    • 2,196 Posts
    • 11,971 Thanks
    Fitzio
    Traditionally steak pie (with puff pastry) with links and mashed tatties here too. Although in recent years it's been roast beef. I need to ask my mum how to make the steak pie though as I have never made it myself!
    • mumoftwo
    • By mumoftwo 30th Dec 07, 3:34 PM
    • 1,907 Posts
    • 11,491 Thanks
    mumoftwo
    Steak pie! With loads of creamy mash and vegetables

My mum is the best at making it, she always add pork links (sausages) to it and it's delicious. Funnily enough though, no one likes it made with beef links .

Lx
    Originally posted by freyasmum
    Steak pie for us as well (a bit of Scottish tradition, isn't it?) with puff pastry. Never heard of adding sausages, sounds good, when do you add them in? Right at the beginning so they cook as long as the steak? And do you brown them first?
  • Oscar
    Steak pie here too....but from the butchers......dont fancy the sausages!!!

We are breaking from tradition this year,we are having steak with pepper sauce!
    • llac
    • By llac 30th Dec 07, 6:03 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    llac
    Chicken broth with homemade bread
    Roast beef roast potatoes yorkshires sprouts homegrown carrots green beans and peas gravy and skirlie
    Home made raspberry cheesecake with cream ( with homegrown rasps)
    It sobers them up quite quickly when they think they might miss lunch
    Originally posted by grunnie
    Roast beef here too and my lot insist on the skirlie aswell!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,171Posts Today

7,849Users online

Martin's Twitter