Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • Lakeuk
    • By Lakeuk 27th Dec 07, 10:47 PM
    • 1,062 Posts
    • 558 Thanks
    Lakeuk
    • 27th Dec 07, 10:47 PM
    • 27th Dec 07, 10:47 PM
    four of them should play 30 at the time of the cab journey, then say Gary hasn't contrubuted yet so he should pay each of the four 6 so it all end's up that each has paid 24 towards their ride home - nice and simple.

But isn't it the case that the one who sits in the front always pay
    • jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 27th Dec 07, 10:52 PM
    • 19,316 Posts
    • 19,870 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    • 27th Dec 07, 10:52 PM
    • 27th Dec 07, 10:52 PM
    Not very MSE - surely the five of them could get into one cab???
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting Macmillan, in memory of Fifigrace. Visit
    https://www.gofundme.com/running-the-leeds-10k-for-macmillan
    • Gorf123
    • By Gorf123 27th Dec 07, 11:15 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    Gorf123
    • 27th Dec 07, 11:15 PM
    • 27th Dec 07, 11:15 PM
    If they live together, they should each shell out 24. If they don't, they should still club together.
    • tallgirld
    • By tallgirld 28th Dec 07, 5:29 AM
    • 476 Posts
    • 317 Thanks
    tallgirld
    • 28th Dec 07, 5:29 AM
    • 28th Dec 07, 5:29 AM
    No he shouldnt kick up a fuss!!! IT'S ONLY A TENNER!!!
    • macaroni
    • By macaroni 28th Dec 07, 8:39 AM
    • 438 Posts
    • 271 Thanks
    macaroni
    • 28th Dec 07, 8:39 AM
    • 28th Dec 07, 8:39 AM
    Originally posted by tallgirld
    Its 50% more than the others would be paying !! They should all chip in before the journey and pay the same
    • duchy
    • By duchy 28th Dec 07, 8:45 AM
    • 18,099 Posts
    • 46,018 Thanks
    duchy
    • 28th Dec 07, 8:45 AM
    • 28th Dec 07, 8:45 AM
    If he's old enough to go out drinking he's old enough to make sure he can afford the expense of going out (which includes getting home). These things had a habit of evening out anyway-and the next time he may very well be one of the three rather than one of the two. If it was going to be split evenly it should have been discussed earlier in the evening not later when everyone has had a few drinks and just want to get home not stand at the roadside debating it.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • john-terry
    • 28th Dec 07, 10:11 AM
    • 28th Dec 07, 10:11 AM
    Originally posted by tallgirld

NOT even a TENNER - The difference between sharing and not sharing, is only SIX POUNDS!!! :confused:
    • Cameron
    • By Cameron 28th Dec 07, 11:02 AM
    • 67 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    Cameron
    • 28th Dec 07, 11:02 AM
    • 28th Dec 07, 11:02 AM
    Soft $#! - If it bothers him that much, the other four should pay 30 each!
    PS. You would get me a) going into town (ridiculus prices & BOOM BOOM BOOM) b) never heard of a bus?
    Advice is cheap! Hence there is a lot of it about!
    Try not to be a victim!
  • bandraoi
    He's saving 30 on the price of a cab home by himself, and the other four could fit in a cab by themselves . . .
    It's only 6 over the cost of splitting equally and 10 over the cost of the others.

They're his friends, it should go without saying that the 10 extra he paid is remembered by his friends, and repaid the next time by the others buying the first round or giving a bit more to a different taxi, not by handing him 6.

Trusting your friends to engage in a bit of give and take is a large part of friendship. Going on about them doing you out of 10/6 will only annoy people and end up costing you more in the long run.
  • Den
    They're his friends, it should go without saying that the 10 extra he paid is remembered by his friends, and repaid the next time by the others buying the first round or giving a bit more to a different taxi, not by handing him 6.

Trusting your friends to engage in a bit of give and take is a large part of friendship. Going on about them doing you out of 10/6 will only annoy people and end up costing you more in the long run.
    Originally posted by bandraoi
    I like the way you put it.
    Have you got something to share - Do it.
    When you don't know - Ask.
  • Mrs Wossinge
    6 or 10 is as much as I'd spend on drinks on a night out!

If Robbie's a true tightwad he'll stay sober, be the designated driver and charge the rest petrol money!
    Have I said something useful?
    Want to know more?
    Click my name to visit my blog.
    • gozaimasu
    • By gozaimasu 28th Dec 07, 5:26 PM
    • 453 Posts
    • 1,899 Thanks
    gozaimasu
    If I was Robbie, I'd kick up a fuss. If I were the others, I'd be loving it. Why should they pay for Robbie's taxi home?

Having said that, if they all live together (which I think the question suggests) then they should split the money equally. Exact same distance, exact same journey to the exact same place, therefore they should pay the exact same price.
  • Peteearl
    Well, Gary took the trouble to sort the taxis so he's calling the shots - if he was the one who then ended up paying more I think he'd be entitled to feel hard done by. Robbie was happy to let someone else sort it out - if he is bothered, next time he cant sort it and he makes sure he's part of the threesome - so to speak!
  • cm233lh
    a) walk to their local and halve the price of the evening.
    b) leave earlier and get the last train home.
    c) they should all have stayed home and done their budget for 2008, saving themselves, what's Martin's estimate? 25% of their salary plus the cost of two cabs
  • cm233lh
    Not very MSE - surely the five of them could get into one cab???
    Unless its a people carrier NO.
    Originally posted by kimevans
    Originally posted by jobbingmusician
    Or a black cab!
    • jackieb
    • By jackieb 29th Dec 07, 2:40 AM
    • 26,981 Posts
    • 78,788 Thanks
    jackieb
    Why are both cabs charging £60 exactly? Is everyone getting off at the same place? Are there going to be no drop-offs? Robbie said he was going home so I assume they're all getting dropped off at their homes. Or do they just all live together? You'd think the cab with 3 passengers would possibly have 3 people to drop off at different places, so you think they'd be more expensive than the cab with only 2 drop-offs? Or at least the difference in their individual cabfares would be less than £10.
    • JayD
    • By JayD 29th Dec 07, 7:46 PM
    • 517 Posts
    • 326 Thanks
    JayD
    Well, in my experience, friends share such things equally between them - so I think they should all pay 24 each. Let's face it, if they had all got into one cab, they would have split the fare equally then.

If they are good friends there wont be any need for Robbie to kick up a fuss - if they aren't such good friends, then I say 'go for it Robbie!'
  • fay144
    When I go on a night out and stay later than the last bus, I know that I'm going to have to pay the taxi fare home. If someone shares and halves the fare that's a bonus, but generally if I am able to drop someone off without going too far out of the way of my route home, then I wouldn't take any money from them as it's not costing me any extra than if I got the taxi on my own.

So Robbie shouldn't moan - in my experience it would be the person who dodged a round or something that offered to pay anyway.
  • trejoy
    Obviously they should all pay the same,
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,625Posts Today

7,130Users online

Martin's Twitter