Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 19th Dec 07, 1:53 PM
    • 8,404Posts
    • 29,530Thanks
    Primrose
    What is your oldest item of clothing?
    • 19th Dec 07, 1:53 PM
    What is your oldest item of clothing? 19th Dec 07 at 1:53 PM
    Mine is an anorak I wore on my honeymoon 40 years ago !
    It's disgustingly tatty now and not suitable for public viewing so I use it for dirty gardening chores but as it's of sentimental value, I can't bear to throw it away.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Deborah; 30-06-2009 at 9:18 PM.
Page 1
    • skylight
    • By skylight 19th Dec 07, 1:58 PM
    • 10,424 Posts
    • 16,875 Thanks
    skylight
    • 19th Dec 07, 1:58 PM
    • 19th Dec 07, 1:58 PM
    Mine is a suede jacket Nan gave me that she bought before Dad was born! (so about 55 years old!) I love it, but rarely wear it unless I can guarantee it won't rain (and then I take a carrier bag to put it in just incase it does!)

I have had it re-lined a few years ago, but the 2 "professional" cleaners I have taken it to refuse to touch it because of the sentimental value and they cannot guarantee it will come back in one piece! It needs a good clean and was recommended by here to use steam and a good brush.
  • AliBow
    • 19th Dec 07, 2:00 PM
    • 19th Dec 07, 2:00 PM
    Mines probably my scarves. I've got one that belonged to my great aunt (thats about 60 years old!) and a couple that were my mums in the 1960s. I love them. Wear them as belts or in my hair all the time
    • Skint_Catt
    • By Skint_Catt 19th Dec 07, 2:06 PM
    • 11,431 Posts
    • 23,689 Thanks
    Skint_Catt
    • 19th Dec 07, 2:06 PM
    • 19th Dec 07, 2:06 PM
    Mine's an Adidas sweater that my Mum bought for Xmas or a Birthday when I was 15.

She didn't really want to buy it because it was 40 - a hell of a lot even now for a sweater - but its lasted me til this day (I'm nearly 31), though its huge on me now as I was into 'big and baggy' back then and I've lost weight since too! I'm sure it'll last me another 10 years at least!
  • pink.1970
    • 19th Dec 07, 2:17 PM
    • 19th Dec 07, 2:17 PM
    Mine would be a pair of 14 hole DR Martens that I bought when I was 16 so they will be 21 years old!! OMG!! never thought about that before.
  • windowshopper100
    • 19th Dec 07, 2:21 PM
    • 19th Dec 07, 2:21 PM
    Just as an aside, but it made me laugh at the time and several times since...

I was watching Blind Date many moons ago with Cilla and she was interviewing a particularly baby-faced chap and she asked him how old he was, he answered and she, quick as a flash, said "good grief, I've got tights older than you..."

Just thought it was a good line.
    WS100
  • Sola
    • 19th Dec 07, 2:28 PM
    • 19th Dec 07, 2:28 PM
    A black suede jacket with tassles that I wore in 1984 as a Goth. Still in pristine condition.
    • stefejb
    • By stefejb 19th Dec 07, 3:37 PM
    • 1,719 Posts
    • 18,997 Thanks
    stefejb
    • 19th Dec 07, 3:37 PM
    • 19th Dec 07, 3:37 PM
    Mine is my long leather coat - it is over 40 years old and used to belong to my Mum. Exoh used to call it my SS coat but I love it
    I'm going to feed our children non-organic food and with the money saved take them to the zoo - half man half biscuit 2008
  • LuciferTDark
    • 19th Dec 07, 3:43 PM
    • 19th Dec 07, 3:43 PM
    I have a jumper that was bought for me 21yrs ago & it still fits.
    Winnings
    01/12/07 Baileys Cocktail Shaker

My other signature is in English.
  • Hardup Hester
    I have 2 pairs of knickers that I bought just after my youngest son was born & he's 21 & they get worn regularly. I also have a blouse & a pair of shoes that I bought when I was 40 & I'm now 56.

Never let success go to your head, never let failure go to your heart.
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    I have two!

One is a pair of Dr Martin police shoes that I bought when I was 17 (am now 33)and the other is a baggy Oshkosh sweatshirt we bought from the states about 10years ago...and I live in it with PJ bottoms

OH has a pair of PJ bottoms from Next bought about 13 years ago. They have a hole in them and have been stitched loads of times...think he needs some new ones ...he loves them.

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!

FEB GC/DIESEL 200/4 WEEKS
    • dianasnan
    • By dianasnan 19th Dec 07, 6:51 PM
    • 579 Posts
    • 843 Thanks
    dianasnan
    a deep purple jumper bought in QS 20 years ago and its still in excellent condition.I am often told what a lovely colour it is. My husband has a jumper bought in a woolies sale 25 years ago which washes and tumble dries perfectly, just starting to show a bit of wear around the neck but the body is perfect.
    • DdraigGoch
    • By DdraigGoch 19th Dec 07, 7:47 PM
    • 715 Posts
    • 3,996 Thanks
    DdraigGoch
    A pair of Christian Dior shoes - cost me £50 in the sale in 1977. That's [aaaaaaaaaargh] 30 years ago! So, they still fit me, have been heeled and soled twice, strap replaced once. Only problem? I don't think I can walk in them now - 4" stiletto heels
    • Horace
    • By Horace 19th Dec 07, 7:58 PM
    • 14,111 Posts
    • 24,783 Thanks
    Horace
    I have one item of jewellery so it doesn't really count as clothing - a silver bangle that was given to my grandma when she was at school for good attendance - she was 9 when she got the bangle.

Oldest item of clothing is a wool skirt from M&S bought 25 years' ago and I still wear it.
    Semper in faeces profundum variat

Make 5 a day challenge Oct 2014 126.00/155
    Make 5 a day challenge Nov 2014 157.40/150
    Make 10 a day challenge Dec 2014 392.90/310
  • buxtonrabbitgreen
    I was watching old famiily videos the other day, and in practically everyone I was wearing the same cardigan. 16 years old and the neckband is unravvelled now. I only wear it for reading in bed . But the kids were saying that I should get rid of it. nooooo
    Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination

Oscar Wilde
  • FrenchMaid
    PJ bottoms from when I was 14...
    • anonymousie
    • By anonymousie 19th Dec 07, 8:42 PM
    • 991 Posts
    • 715 Thanks
    anonymousie
    Probably my grandmas vyella nightie- don't wear it now I have an electric blanket though -it was a godsend on cold nights, if a bit itchy being wool! Grandma died in 1985 and she had it many years before that.

Thinkig on though it may not be the oldest- I had a maternity skirt from my mum (I was born in 1966) and a couple of suits 50's style that may well be genuinely of that vintage (too small for me now ).
    • jackieb
    • By jackieb 19th Dec 07, 8:45 PM
    • 26,981 Posts
    • 78,788 Thanks
    jackieb
    My dad wore my brother's old platform shoes to do the gardening and power hosing in up until just a few years ago. He's in his mid-70s. He'd probably fall off of them now.
    • anonymousie
    • By anonymousie 19th Dec 07, 8:45 PM
    • 991 Posts
    • 715 Thanks
    anonymousie
    I have one item of jewellery so it doesn't really count as clothing - a silver bangle that was given to my grandma when she was at school for good attendance - she was 9 when she got the bangle.

Oldest item of clothing is a wool skirt from M&S bought 25 years' ago and I still wear it.
    Originally posted by Horace
    That is one of the benefits of O/S money saving- stuff you own hs history and meaning (though it also makes you a hoarder- I should really get rid of grandmas nightie but I cant..). If all your home is out of a box from Ikea or even John Lewis or Selfridges (lke my BIL+SIL who I love dearly but I can't understand how that makes a "home") then you don't have that lovely feeling.
    • beemuzed
    • By beemuzed 19th Dec 07, 8:57 PM
    • 2,188 Posts
    • 20,281 Thanks
    beemuzed
    I think my very oldest item that still hangs in the wardrobe is a dress I made about 34 years ago, but I have to admit I've kept it for sentimental reasons and haven't worn it for a while. However, the coat I always wear when walking the dogs is now 23 years old and should keep going for very many years yet!
    Resolution:
    Think twice before spending anything!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

105Posts Today

1,684Users online

Martin's Twitter