Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
    • Jo_F
    • By Jo_F 16th Dec 07, 3:04 PM
    • 1,682 Posts
    • 2,172 Thanks
    Jo_F
    • 16th Dec 07, 3:04 PM
    • 16th Dec 07, 3:04 PM
    Jeanette, if you have my email then email me, otherwise catch me on MSN, jeesh woman are you stalking me? I do jewellery!
  • my_gorgeous_ellie-belle
    • 16th Dec 07, 9:31 PM
    • 16th Dec 07, 9:31 PM
    Hey, just wanna bump this one as interested too but dont know where to start... x
    Mummy of 3 lovely munchkins
  • jeanette251978
    • 17th Dec 07, 12:25 AM
    • 17th Dec 07, 12:25 AM
    Jeanette, if you have my email then email me, otherwise catch me on MSN, jeesh woman are you stalking me? I do jewellery!
    Originally posted by Jo_F
    LOL! am i so obvious? haha!

Well you kind of inspired me actually, you gave me the idea - didnt want to ask but would be grateful of some advise!

I actually love craft fairs and stuff so would love to get into it.

How did yours go the other week????? Ive lost your email addy

can you PM it or just PM me? cheers dude, your a star xx
    • Jo_F
    • By Jo_F 17th Dec 07, 5:01 AM
    • 1,682 Posts
    • 2,172 Thanks
    Jo_F
    • 17th Dec 07, 5:01 AM
    • 17th Dec 07, 5:01 AM
    Have just got up, and not fully functioning yet, but will get in touch with you later.

Basically it all depends what kind of jewellery people decide to make, a good place to start is looking at books in the local library, there are also a few beading magazines, they offer details of bead/findings suppliers and also tutorials on how to make things.

Seed beading is time consuming and you need a lot of patience (I know the air turns blue sometimes round here, but that's mostly with my beaded flowers!)

Start with simple earrings/bracelets/necklaces while you figure out colours, layouts etc.

Ebay seem to have a lot of starter kits, these will include beads, findings etc and then you will need some pliers, the smaller round nose ones with a wire cutter are a good place to start.

Also start with gold and silver plate findings, there is no need to go mad and start with sterling silver, not while you are learning/making mistakes/trashing attempts

There are also quite a few beading and craft forums, in the case of UK Beaders there are a lot of the suppliers on there, ranging from beautiful lampwork beads to tiara bases.

One thing though, Hobbycraft can get a bit expensive.
    • Honey9036
    • By Honey9036 17th Dec 07, 7:21 AM
    • 271 Posts
    • 4,020 Thanks
    Honey9036
    • 17th Dec 07, 7:21 AM
    Some links...
    • 17th Dec 07, 7:21 AM
    The following websites are good for jewellery-making supplies:

http://www.kernowcraft.com/Default.aspx
    http://www.beads.co.uk/

or you could try this Thailand-based website - they are much cheaper than UK suppliers (they are trade-only, but will allow you to order a $75 "sample order"):

http://www.925e.com/index.php

Finally, this site is good for presentation boxes:

http://www.goldpack.co.uk/

Don't be put off by websites that state "trade only" - just make up a company name for yourself and you're good to go.

Good luck with your venture! I hope this info helps.

Lori
    x
  • melancholly
    • 19th Dec 07, 10:54 PM
    • 19th Dec 07, 10:54 PM
    i know this is a bit far from stoke (although maybe only an hour?), but there's a shop there that runs introduction courses that might be a really good way to start and get some confidence:
    http://www.mailorder-beads.co.uk/bead-workshops-jan-mar08.html

the all day basic course is very good (did it last year and made lots of things that i still wear!). there are probably other shops near you that do similar things too.

i found christmas fairs this year a bit quieter than i'd hoped, but i only do it on a very small scale for extra funds, not for a full income. just be aware that a lot of people import cheap ready-made jewellery and sell it at fairs - they can undercut you massively. don't want to put you off, but it's a trend that has been increasing lately!
    • Jo_F
    • By Jo_F 20th Dec 07, 10:03 AM
    • 1,682 Posts
    • 2,172 Thanks
    Jo_F
    • 20th Dec 07, 10:03 AM
    • 20th Dec 07, 10:03 AM
    I agree with the bought in comment, but there are people out there that do appreciate the work that goes into handmade stuff, and my biggest selling point is that I don't do replicas, I may do two bracelets similar, but each one will be different in some way.

Got an online shop being built at the moment for me, and have also opened an account with etsy, so hopefully will be selling in there in the new year (biggest problem with that at the moment is that you have to list in US$ and the exchange rate makes for scary looking numbers lol)

One problem with the Christmas fairs that I have found was the weather, seems its been too wet for most people to venture out of the house!
  • misspixierocktastic
    • 20th Dec 07, 10:15 AM
    • 20th Dec 07, 10:15 AM
    Hi there i have my own jewelery range i used to have a big cartel shopping site and i would see my necklaces on there
    They were targetted at the younger audience and used to sell very well, i found that american ebay was great for bulk buying my charms etc and then i would hand out them all together it was also great fun now i make them fro friends as presents etc :-)
  • Sarzzie
    Thanks for this, I want to make more money next year and this sounds interesting, does anyone have a eBay shop?, I don't yet but that seems more straight forward to me than starting a website.
    Great advise, many thanks again x
    Thank you for helping me save money!
    • Jo_F
    • By Jo_F 21st Dec 07, 12:26 PM
    • 1,682 Posts
    • 2,172 Thanks
    Jo_F
    I don't have an Ebay shop, but I have sold some stuff through Ebay, have also sold some by badgering people on some of the forums I go on (done in the nicest way )
    • amandada
    • By amandada 21st Dec 07, 12:41 PM
    • 1,134 Posts
    • 1,201 Thanks
    amandada
    I design and sell jewellery and have just had a very successful xmas fair/farmers' market season.
    What I find is that like all crafts, you have to find your own "signature style" that's different from anything else.
    I have a website, (which is desperately needing updated!) but I tend to use that more as a showcase than generating actual sales...then again it would help if I optimised it!
    I don't sell on ebay, as most people are looking for a "bargain" on there, and the prices handmade jewellery generates don't reflect the time that goes into making the pieces.
    I also sell through a couple of gift shops, and when time allows. I also do jewellery parties.
    If anyone wants more specific info, please feel free to PM me
  • wigglebeena
    You need mad skillz or something different and striking to make money online from handmade jewellery. I've got an Etsy shop and only the most unusual items have sold, or even got any hearts. Beaded earrings on a headpin aren't going to do it. Cultivate your skills and an original vision. And list a lot, if you go that way: it's cheap and it keeps eyes on your shop.
    • Jo_F
    • By Jo_F 23rd Dec 07, 12:38 PM
    • 1,682 Posts
    • 2,172 Thanks
    Jo_F
    I do mostly bead weaving, but that takes a lot of time, I also make a lot of beaded flowers, which seem to go down ok as they are unusual. Have been making Swaro earrings and necklaces and some beaded bookmarks as money makers (the bookmarks appeal to children as gifts for mum etc)

Have also done well with macrame hemp jewellery.
  • twistuk
    I make a lot of jewellery, mostly cufflinks, bag charms, earrings and charm bracelets. Have been selling the cufflinks successfully for over a year through my ebay shop. The other jewellery is more of a newer adventure. My partner and I are planning to do xmas fairs next year.

I get all my supplies from ebay, look in the ebay shops for some bargains on findings, beads, charms etc.

Hope that helps
  • jeanette251978
    Thank you all for such great info, ive been looking around and have found some fab things - i just need to know what findings and things like that i need to start!!! is there any website that i can look at for help on how to make the jewellery????

Thanks again
    • Jo_F
    • By Jo_F 27th Dec 07, 4:54 AM
    • 1,682 Posts
    • 2,172 Thanks
    Jo_F
    Earrings...... headpins or eyepins for threading beads on, and earwires.

Necklaces/bracelets..... elastic, beading thread, tigertail or nylon thread (a lot like fishing line), crimps to squash over the knots at the end, callotttes to cover the crimps and allow you to attatch fasteners, and then fasteners.

Have a look through some of the bead magazines in WHSmiths, also have a nosy round ukbeaders.forumup.org/ and beadbuddies.co.uk

I'll try and speak to you later Jeanette, have just seen other half off to work and I am taking my flu back to bed.
    • carolbee
    • By carolbee 27th Dec 07, 8:07 AM
    • 1,052 Posts
    • 7,362 Thanks
    carolbee
    Hi, we too make jewellery. Our best sales came from an 'at home' we have done for the last couple of years. We have also had a couple of stalls at local events, and asked people to give us their contact details to let them know when we did the open day. a lot of repeat business has come this way.

one tip - if you plan to have a stall at a craft fair, go as a visitor to check out the best pitches, we were caught out like this, and put in an out of the way location
    Carolbee
  • jeanette251978
    Thanks for the tips! Its all great help!!!! I think ill nip into town today and buy a magazine!

• twistuk
    Just remembered, if you have a hobby craft near you they often have free leaflets with insructions on making jewellery and other craft bits
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,122Posts Today

5,277Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin