Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Shamish
    • By Shamish 14th Dec 07, 4:13 PM
    • 332Posts
    • 109Thanks
    Shamish
    Gluten free turkey in a slow cooker?
    • 14th Dec 07, 4:13 PM
    Gluten free turkey in a slow cooker? 14th Dec 07 at 4:13 PM
    My mother in law isn't going to change her stuffing receipe which includes oats meaning i cant have turkey. Me and my wife were going to try somthing else and was thinking about turkey in the slow cooker but unsure if this would work wondering if anybody else had tried this?

We have a 6.5 litre slow cooker which has an auto heat setting we were hoping to cook a small turkey unsure what size a small one would be lol. Put in stuffing that we have from sainsburys which is gluten free and some gluten free pigs in blankets etc.

Has anybody tried this and if so how did it turn out? If it doesn't work i'll probably substitute the turkey for chicken but just wondering if anybody else has tried this

Thanks
    Shamish
Page 1
  • smileypigface
    • 15th Dec 07, 9:18 AM
    • 15th Dec 07, 9:18 AM
    Hi,

I haven't cooked Turkey in a slow cooker but cook chicken in mine regularly.

I cook it on low (my cooker has low, medium and high settings) for about 6-8 hours. The meat is much moister than oven cooking and is easier to remove the bones.

I pop the chicken in the pot with no liquid and by the end of the cooking time it is sitting in quite a bit of fatty, slimey liquid - for this reason I don't tend to put anything in with it - I have tried putting veg in but find it comes out all greasy and slimey from the liquid. Although this may appeal to some - it doesn't put my OH off!!!

Hope that helps.
    • Shamish
    • By Shamish 15th Dec 07, 10:25 AM
    • 332 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    Shamish
    • 15th Dec 07, 10:25 AM
    • 15th Dec 07, 10:25 AM
    Hi,

I haven't cooked Turkey in a slow cooker but cook chicken in mine regularly.

I cook it on low (my cooker has low, medium and high settings) for about 6-8 hours. The meat is much moister than oven cooking and is easier to remove the bones.

I pop the chicken in the pot with no liquid and by the end of the cooking time it is sitting in quite a bit of fatty, slimey liquid - for this reason I don't tend to put anything in with it - I have tried putting veg in but find it comes out all greasy and slimey from the liquid. Although this may appeal to some - it doesn't put my OH off!!!

Hope that helps.
    Originally posted by smileypigface
    Thanks i've done chicken in the slow cooker a few times for 6 hours and always comes out wonderful thats why i was thinking maybe it's possible to do turkey though obviously it would take longer and i would need to find a small turkey. Would be great to know if anybody else has tried?
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 15th Dec 07, 11:29 AM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    • 15th Dec 07, 11:29 AM
    • 15th Dec 07, 11:29 AM
    Turkey cooked in a slow cooker will not be roasted. It will be moist not brown and crispy.

Why not cook the stuffing separately ?
    • Shamish
    • By Shamish 15th Dec 07, 1:28 PM
    • 332 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    Shamish
    • 15th Dec 07, 1:28 PM
    • 15th Dec 07, 1:28 PM
    Turkey cooked in a slow cooker will not be roasted. It will be moist not brown and crispy.

Why not cook the stuffing separately ?
    Originally posted by thriftlady
    Thanks i might just do it in my own oven during the night and take it down lol.

She could do the stuffing separately but it's "tradition" LOL
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,151Posts Today

7,181Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Twitter Poll: Being honest, do you take into account the environment impact when you choose to book a flight?

• RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Do you need to show your boarding pass at the airport? And how to make 'em pay you for doing it... https://t.co/g5biFxotXF

• Follow Martin