Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • C_Ronaldo
    • By C_Ronaldo 12th Dec 07, 5:58 PM
    • 4,632Posts
    • 959Thanks
    C_Ronaldo
    Making own cranberry sauce
    • 12th Dec 07, 5:58 PM
    Making own cranberry sauce 12th Dec 07 at 5:58 PM
    Anyone made theyre own cranberry sauce
    No Links in Signature by site rules - MSE Forum Team 2
Page 1
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 12th Dec 07, 6:15 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    • 12th Dec 07, 6:15 PM
    • 12th Dec 07, 6:15 PM
    Stew cranberries with a spoonful of water or orange juice and sugar to taste. Easy peasy
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 12th Dec 07, 6:35 PM
    • 17,087 Posts
    • 132,754 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    • 12th Dec 07, 6:35 PM
    • 12th Dec 07, 6:35 PM
    I do mine a bit like thriftlady. I use Delia's recipe - orange rind and cinnamon. Delicious, and it freezes well.

Penny. x
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
  • TroysMum
    • 12th Dec 07, 6:40 PM
    • 12th Dec 07, 6:40 PM
    Old fashioned recipe from Mrs Beeton!!!
    1/2 lb cranberries 1/4-1/2 pt water sugar to taste

Stew cranberries till soft, using water starting with 1/4 pt adding more if needed. Rub cranberries through a sieve or blend and sweeten to taste.
    • soappie
    • By soappie 13th Dec 07, 5:44 AM
    • 6,620 Posts
    • 162,938 Thanks
    soappie
    • 13th Dec 07, 5:44 AM
    • 13th Dec 07, 5:44 AM
    A drop or several of cointreau or brandy at the end goes down a treat too. (In the sauce of course, not down your throat!)
  • scuzz
    • 13th Dec 07, 7:20 AM
    • 13th Dec 07, 7:20 AM
    Add a cinnimon stick during cooking - yum!
    Comping, Clicking & Saving for Change
  • competitionscafe
    • 13th Dec 07, 11:24 AM
    • 13th Dec 07, 11:24 AM
    Did one a few years ago which was delicious but I lost the recipe. Could have sworn it was from the Delia site but I don't recognise any of them on there when I searched for cranberry? It was very simple though, fresh cranberries, orange juice and sugar sounds familiar - just not sure of the quantities. It's not the relish one as the cranberries were whole not chopped and sure it didn't have port in, think the recipe said it went well with venison which is what I originally made it for.

update: found it, very, very easy, says it's for duck or game but don't see why it won't work with turkey?
    http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/a-confit-of-cranberries-for-serving-with-game-or-duck,723,RC.html
    Last edited by competitionscafe; 14-12-2007 at 4:10 PM.
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
    • r.mac
    • By r.mac 8th Dec 08, 2:22 PM
    • 4,736 Posts
    • 15,803 Thanks
    r.mac
    • 8th Dec 08, 2:22 PM
    Cranberry sauce query
    • 8th Dec 08, 2:22 PM
    I am hoping to test drive a Nigella lawson cranberry sauce recipe. I'd like to take a jar to the in-laws when we go for christmas dinner. It uses 300g cranberries and 200g sugar as well as a slurp of alcohol.

1. Can I make this now - or should I hold off until nearer the time?

2. any idea how many standard jam jar size jars this will fill?

thanks
    r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
    Originally posted by aless02
    I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response
  • tinkerbell84
    • 8th Dec 08, 2:31 PM
    • 8th Dec 08, 2:31 PM
    1. Yes
    2. Probably 1 to 1 and a bit.
    • r.mac
    • By r.mac 8th Dec 08, 2:42 PM
    • 4,736 Posts
    • 15,803 Thanks
    r.mac
    thanks tinkerbell
    r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
    Originally posted by aless02
    I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response
  • Chinkle
    Storing cranberry sauce
    Made cranberry sauce for the first time yesterday. Really pleased, its so easy to make and tasted yummy.

It's now in a jar in the fridge, we probably won't use all of it with our turkey or with brie in the following days. But how long will it keep?
  • katholicos
    Last week I made 4 generously sized portions of cranberry sauce for Christmas. I kept one in a jar in the fridge for about 5 days, with the other three portions I put them in small food storage boxes and placed them in the freezer. They will keep for an age in the freezer and if you make up smallish portions they will defrost in a jiffy, or alternatively defrost in a microwave.
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 22nd Dec 09, 8:53 AM
    • 5,317 Posts
    • 31,951 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Yes, it defo freezes. My cranberry sauce for Christmas dinner has been in the freezer for nearly a month after I found bags of cheap cranberries on the local market. Pack into small freezer containers and it should be fine.
  • Chinkle
    So am I ok to decant some now into boxes for the freezer? And how long should the rest of it last in the fridge (if we don't eat it all first)?
    • bare foot hippy
    • By bare foot hippy 23rd Dec 09, 10:59 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    bare foot hippy
    Yep, it'll be fine but I'd portion it into small pots enought for one or two servings so once they've been defrosted they're used straight away.

The stuff in the fridge now should be fine for a couple of weeks from the day it was made. Next time you make it put it into hot sterilised jam jars while it's still bubbling and seal straight away - it'll keep in the cupboard just like jam and should be good (in the fridge) for a month after opening. Put a pretty label on each jar and you have some presents for Christmas next year
  • MrsE
    Stew cranberries with a spoonful of water or orange juice and sugar to taste. Easy peasy
    Originally posted by thriftlady
    I thought you had to add port & this has always put me off as I didn't want to buy a bottle of port just for cranberry sauce.
  • lovetopaint
    Feel inspired now. Like the idea of preserving in jars, as freezer space tight. So found this recipe and might give it a go:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/cranberry-conserve-recipe/index.html

Great reviews, just need to get organised now!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

913Posts Today

6,904Users online

Martin's Twitter