Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Guapa1
    • By Guapa1 5th Dec 07, 5:39 PM
    • 885Posts
    • 1,745Thanks
    Guapa1
    Healthy-ish meals made with a kettle?
    • 5th Dec 07, 5:39 PM
    Healthy-ish meals made with a kettle? 5th Dec 07 at 5:39 PM
    I'm at my wits end trying to come up with a solution for this and I know if I'm going to get an answer anywhere it's going to be here.

I'm a cabin crew member and have been off work for many months so am really broke. I am currently budgeting myself £40 a week which would be perfect if I'm at home, but I'm not. I'll be in the States 3 times this month.

Now you're not allowed to bring in any fresh fruit of veg. You can declare things like cup soups they don't usually have a problem with that.

Room service is extortionate. Example this week I stayed in a hotel that charged $19 for a salad, which actually came up to $27.75 once they added on sales tax delivery charge and service. I was staying in the middle of no-where and there were no other shops to get something to eat. The only thing that was keeping me going was the free apples at the gym!
    I've bought some cup a soups to take with me but does anyone have any other suggestions? I suppose I could take ramen noodles, but I'm really trying to eat healthily.

Many thanks.

Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 18-12-2007 at 6:56 PM.
    Getting there... A deal at a time.
Page 1
  • Gingham Ribbon
    • 5th Dec 07, 5:45 PM
    • 5th Dec 07, 5:45 PM
    What about couscous? You can add half a stock cube, put the couscous and boiling water in a measuring jug and put the plate on top to keep the steam in, then fluff it up after about 3 minutes. It should be fine. You could have it with a drained tin of chickpeas and whatever veg you could find at the time, sliced to eat raw.

Hmm. This is a tricky one. I'll have a look to see if there's an old thread with some more ideas.
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • Gingham Ribbon
    • 5th Dec 07, 5:52 PM
    • 5th Dec 07, 5:52 PM
    This thread has some good ideas.

How light are you travelling? Can you manage a small slow cooker for example?

Can you usually find somewhere selling bread?
    • debsy42
    • By debsy42 5th Dec 07, 5:55 PM
    • 1,635 Posts
    • 9,142 Thanks
    debsy42
    • 5th Dec 07, 5:55 PM
    • 5th Dec 07, 5:55 PM
    When I went last year I took loads of chocolate, crisps, shortbread biscuits and a Warbys toastie loaf (for my outlaws) and sailed through no problem
    ITV Winners Club #87
    • culpepper
    • By culpepper 5th Dec 07, 5:57 PM
    • 3,938 Posts
    • 7,340 Thanks
    culpepper
    • 5th Dec 07, 5:57 PM
    • 5th Dec 07, 5:57 PM
    Ive been looking at this very subject for things my son can make at uni(he is in catered halls but sometimes wants food outside feeding time)
    He has just a kettle.
    I made a list of things you could just add water to...
    Instant: Cereal,rice,noodles,powder soup,mash potato.
    Powdered fruit drinks,powdered milk.
    You could add tinned meat or fish.
    Dried fruit.
    Drinks like hot choc,tea,coffee.
    • Guapa1
    • By Guapa1 5th Dec 07, 7:15 PM
    • 885 Posts
    • 1,745 Thanks
    Guapa1
    • 5th Dec 07, 7:15 PM
    • 5th Dec 07, 7:15 PM
    This thread has some good ideas.

How light are you travelling? Can you manage a small slow cooker for example?

Can you usually find somewhere selling bread?
    Originally posted by Gingham Ribbon
    Thank you. I guess I could invest in one. Because of that 100ml of liquid rule I always have a suitcase now.

Bread doesn't agree with me, it make me all bloaty and stuff. Thank you about the cous cous idea though. I think I've seen one in Tescos where you just add water to a pot like pot noodle.

When I went last year I took loads of chocolate, crisps, shortbread biscuits and a Warbys toastie loaf (for my outlaws) and sailed through no problem
    Originally posted by debsy42
    They seem to check us more than the passengers! Choccie and stuff they don't mind, it's more food stuff they are concerned with. I'm nervous of bringing anything contraband in because that's my job on the line if I get caught!
    • vanoonoo
    • By vanoonoo 5th Dec 07, 7:31 PM
    • 1,860 Posts
    • 7,742 Thanks
    vanoonoo
    • 5th Dec 07, 7:31 PM
    • 5th Dec 07, 7:31 PM
    I think I've seen one in Tescos where you just add water to a pot like pot noodle.
    Originally posted by Guapa1
    you can do that to the ordinary packets too - despite what the instructions say, I only ever cover with boiling water and leave for a few mins then fluff thru with a fork. adding a bit of tabsco or soy sauce makes them more interesting IMO

you'll prob have to take a suitable bowl or jug with you tho! I have now got images of you bringing thru a steamer trunk sized case with a slocooker and microwave in it and a full set of cutlery and crockery
    Blah
  • Pandora123
    • 5th Dec 07, 7:37 PM
    • 5th Dec 07, 7:37 PM
    You can get Ramen noodles which are baked and not fried (I've seen them at large Chinese supermarkets). Rice noodles and bean thread noodles will also cook by just pouring boiling water over them & letting them sit, and neither has any added fat. You could take bouillon powder to make soup with them. Or buy packets of instant rice noodle soup from here.

Are you allowed to carry dried fruit & nuts, a jar of peanut butter or a tub of hummus? All healthy choices.

You can also buy tubes and little containers of veggie pate (health food shop), which could be spread on cream crackers or Ryvita.

For breakfast, how about granola, or packets of instant porridge oats?

HTH

Edit: or how about one of these? Can be used for heating tinned foods as well as boiling water, and only weighs 1.5 lbs.

Toastess MultiPot
    Last edited by Pandora123; 05-12-2007 at 7:46 PM.
    I want to move to theory. Everything works in theory.
    • sandy2
    • By sandy2 5th Dec 07, 7:51 PM
    • 1,927 Posts
    • 2,781 Thanks
    sandy2
    • 5th Dec 07, 7:51 PM
    • 5th Dec 07, 7:51 PM
    What about tinned tuna, corned beef and instant mash. If all else fails there's Complan
    Surely there must be a local food store close to the airline's hotel
  • Gingham Ribbon
    If you can buy meat/veg when you're there then a small slow cooker might be a good way to go as you can have a hot and healthy meal ready for you when you get back each day. (There's a slow cooker recipe thread I'll look out in a moment if the baby lets me...)

Also, I suppose tinned soup could be heated reasonably well by putting an open tin inside a jug full of boiling water (like reheating baby food.) You'd have to keep changing the water till the soup was hot enough but if it's quite a tight fit, it shouldn't cool down too quickly.
  • Gingham Ribbon
    Here ya go.
    • acjc
    • By acjc 5th Dec 07, 8:25 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    acjc
    You say the hotel isn't close to the shops. But what about shops at the US airport. Can't you pop in before you go to the hotel?
  • mouseymousey99
    Hello, don't they feed you on these trips or give you some allowance???
    What is everyone else doing? Maybe a lot easier to club together also if you are miles from anywhere at least you would have some company?? Find out where the hotel staff are eating - maybe they have a canteen or something??
    Best wishes Mx
  • D&DD
    I'd be tempted to source some MRE's (meals ready to eat)seeing as you will be in the states these are more readily available there in camping and surplus stores..
    You can find them over here too but they are much dearer.

These look quite cool too http://www.hotcan.com/?gclid=CI7p3JaUkpACFQgsQwodnHz3-g
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Marketing Manager
    • Guapa1
    • By Guapa1 6th Dec 07, 12:24 AM
    • 885 Posts
    • 1,745 Thanks
    Guapa1
    Wow! some really great ideas, I knew I could count on you lovely people. Thank you so much

Edit: or how about one of these? Can be used for heating tinned foods as well as boiling water, and only weighs 1.5 lbs.

Toastess MultiPot
    Originally posted by Pandora123
    I've had 2 already and they always seem to short out after a couple of months. They are fab though, get hot really quickly.

What about tinned tuna, corned beef and instant mash. If all else fails there's Complan
    Surely there must be a local food store close to the airline's hotel
    Originally posted by sandy2
    We stay in places sometimes that are in the middle of the highway, or the equivalent of our business areas minus the little express or local shops. Sometimes we stay slap bang in the centre and have many options like in NY there is a deli on every corner. Not in Phoenix though. This month I have the 'middle of no-where' places.

You say the hotel isn't close to the shops. But what about shops at the US airport. Can't you pop in before you go to the hotel?
    Originally posted by acjc
    When we go through arrivals there are only sweet shops.

Hello, don't they feed you on these trips or give you some allowance???
    What is everyone else doing? Maybe a lot easier to club together also if you are miles from anywhere at least you would have some company?? Find out where the hotel staff are eating - maybe they have a canteen or something??
    Best wishes Mx
    Originally posted by mouseymousey99
    We do get paid an allowance, but it makes up my wages as the basic pay is very low in fact it can more than double it! As I have been off for so long with no allowances money is very tight and I have to watch the pennies until February when I get paid this months allowances.
    That is a good idea about the canteen, I'll have a nosy when I'm out there.
    Last edited by Guapa1; 06-12-2007 at 12:27 AM.
    • carebabe
    • By carebabe 6th Dec 07, 1:32 AM
    • 211 Posts
    • 638 Thanks
    carebabe
    some slimfast
  • champys
    guapa i have been thinking about you and hotel life and the food problem! in the early nineties i had to spend time in hotels regularly in remote parts of russia and always had to take food because you were never quite sure you'd find any when you needed it. my staple food pack was something like this:

- salami
    - little packed cheeses (like the 'vache qui rit' ones)
    - crackers or ryvita
    - tin of sardines or tuna
    - tin of mixed vegetables (for a 'salad')
    - hard boiled eggs
    - nuts and dried fruits
    - a selection of tea bags

if i had to do it now, and would shop in the UK i would probably bring a tin of baked beans (i like them cold) or a tin of mixed bean salad. also some tinned potato salad.
    maybe some of this would work for you? none of the above requires refrigeration really, which can be useful.
    • belfastgirl23
    • By belfastgirl23 6th Dec 07, 10:37 AM
    • 7,696 Posts
    • 15,481 Thanks
    belfastgirl23
    What about instant porridge? quick and light

I'd be wary of hummus (much as I love it) - in my experience it does tend to go off fairly fast if not refrigerated. If you do want to try it tho Marks do packs with three little pots rather than one big one.

If all else fails those pasta n'sauce ready meals might be better than nothing?

• pollyanna24
    • By pollyanna24 6th Dec 07, 1:36 PM
    • 3,897 Posts
    • 4,820 Thanks
    pollyanna24
    If all else fails those pasta n'sauce ready meals might be better than nothing?
    Originally posted by belfastgirl23
    Gosh, I could live off these! But from what I remember, they need cooking on the hob or in the microwave.
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    House Worth (approx) - 400,000
    Mortgages (3rd Nov 2017) - 180,813.85
    Equity - 219,186.15
    • belfastgirl23
    • By belfastgirl23 6th Dec 07, 3:22 PM
    • 7,696 Posts
    • 15,481 Thanks
    belfastgirl23
    Gosh, I could live off these! But from what I remember, they need cooking on the hob or in the microwave.
    Originally posted by pollyanna24
    Maybe you're right it's been a long time since I used them...probably since I was a student in fact...

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,851Posts Today

10,175Users online

Martin's Twitter