Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Wendy
    • By Former MSE Wendy 3rd Dec 07, 6:08 PM
    • 868Posts
    • 1,782Thanks
    Former MSE Wendy
    Motorbike, Moped and Scooter Insurance Discussion
    • 3rd Dec 07, 6:08 PM
    Motorbike, Moped and Scooter Insurance Discussion 3rd Dec 07 at 6:08 PM
    This thread is specifically to discuss the Motorbike Insurance article.

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, watch our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 06-02-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Page 1
    • heppy23
    • By heppy23 5th Dec 07, 7:20 AM
    • 477 Posts
    • 246 Thanks
    heppy23
    • 5th Dec 07, 7:20 AM
    • 5th Dec 07, 7:20 AM
    Good article. Does anyone know where I can get insurance for scooters that are laid up (none are taxed or tested and some are imports that aren't registered)?

The house insurance won't cover them as they are vehicles or parts of vehicles and most brokers I've spoken to only cover "on the road" vehicles.
  • razzleDazzle
    • 5th Dec 07, 10:20 AM
    Free laid up insurance with MCE
    • 5th Dec 07, 10:20 AM
    Hi
    I think MCE do free laid up insurance with there home insurance.
    http://www.mceinsurance.com/news_2005.htm#news10

I've not used there home insurance but am happy with there bike insurance so might be worth a go.

Cheers

Daryn
  • HenrysCat
    • 11th Dec 07, 2:33 PM
    • 11th Dec 07, 2:33 PM
    I'm currently looking for quotes myself. New rider on a Sukida SK125-4.
    28 years old and they are throwing stupid numbers at me like £200 3rd party!
    All because i'm a house husband apparently? £500 excess on a bike worth £800 aint too funny either.
    Thanks to this article i'm down to £120 a year
    Save more money, buy more beer!
  • froggy_girl128
    • 11th Dec 07, 4:03 PM
    • 11th Dec 07, 4:03 PM
    I would recommend using a cover like the oxford stormex as its very heavy duty. Although it wont make insurance cheaper I found it kept people away from my motorbike (2004 z750) when parked on the pavement, chained to the lampost.
    I have enough money to last me the rest of my life, unless I buy something
  • Tosca
    • 20th Dec 07, 2:30 PM
    Sweet success
    • 20th Dec 07, 2:30 PM
    Many thanks for this article and also thanks to the article about the Teen Class, which has excellent advice for teenagers (and oldies) I have scoured the comparison sites with a vengeance and managed to get a reduction in my renewal premium of £57.00 from the original company Devitts! This is sweetness itself as my beloved 100cc twist and go was stolen and I subsequently lost my no claims bonus, but this saving is more than the ncb. I'm now totally converted to haggling for everything.
    A Big Thank you
    • thetope
    • By thetope 20th Dec 07, 4:27 PM
    • 882 Posts
    • 475 Thanks
    thetope
    • 20th Dec 07, 4:27 PM
    • 20th Dec 07, 4:27 PM
    another point about citing a chain or lock on your insurance policy - if you don't put it on one day when you're at the shops or whatever and gets nicked and you can't prove it was on, then your insurance co might refuse to pay

• nwlondoner
    • By nwlondoner 4th Jan 08, 10:13 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    nwlondoner
    • 4th Jan 08, 10:13 PM
    • 4th Jan 08, 10:13 PM
    Great article, some real good money saving tips there!

I have been riding a scooter/bike since the age of 16 (I'm now 22) and have checked with loads of companies each time my renewal is due but I have always found Lexham Insurance to be the cheapest. I have always gone for third party only as fire and theft always worked out too expensive, especially when you take the excess in to account, it usually works out more than the bikes value.

I would suggest buying a good lock (have you seen Almax?) and installing an alarm if possible. I have lost count of the amount of times my alarm has gone off and I have looked out of the window and seen kids running away, if I didn't have the alarm who knows what would have happened.

Happy Riding
  • nappentass
    • 9th Jan 08, 9:53 AM
    • 9th Jan 08, 9:53 AM
    Great article thanks.

If you have a Harley it may also be worth getting an additional quote from their own insurance - my OH did and has found it the cheapest for him for the last couple of years, but we'll see how it works out later this year from the updated plan

Thanks
  • jk1234
    Good work on the article...

Has anyone else used bikingneeds.com? Saved £20 on my renewal - They're like confused.com I think?!
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 16th Jan 08, 4:57 PM
    • 25,523 Posts
    • 13,713 Thanks
    lisyloo
    I used motorquote direct and got £40 cashback via quidco.
    Don't know if the deal is still on.
    No connection, do your own research etc.
  • Bob63
    If you live in a low risk area like I do then you may be surprised that it will cost between nothing and very little if you tell the insurance company that you have no security on the bike and you leave it parked on the drive over night.

Why would you do that?

If you tell the insurance company the bike is parked in the garage and it is stolen off the drive, or for some companies within 0.25 miles of home, then they will penalise you. Penalties range from doubled excess to a complete refusal to pay out for the claim. If you have told them it is parked on the drive, not locked and not alarmed then they don't have any come back - regardless of where the bike is stolen from e.g. driveway, roadside, garage etc.

I'm not saying that you should leave your bike unlocked on the drive - you should use whatever security you think is appropriate - just that the relatively low cost of the increased cover may be worth the price if your bike does get nicked. For me that difference was less than £10/year on a £130 premium for 2 bikes fully comp with business use.

Mike
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 18th Jan 08, 4:55 PM
    • 25,523 Posts
    • 13,713 Thanks
    lisyloo
    Good point Mike.

For this reason I haven't told my bike insurer that I have a disc lock (otherwise I'd have to use it on EVERY occassion including my private work car park complete with Rottweiler).

Also I don't tell my household insurer that I have an alarm becasue otherwise I'd have to put in on everytime I got outside to wheel the bin down the road. (I do lock the door but I don't always put the alarm on if I'm gone for 1 minute).
  • gbrandwood
    Claims made under your car insurance
    On the screenscraper sites (and all the others too I guess), they ask you to list the claims you've made in say the last 5 years. This is my first bike, so I've not had any claims. However, I've had 3 claims on my car insurance over the last 5 years (none of which are my fault I might add).

My question is simply, do I need to list the claims I've made off my car insurance when applying for my bike insurance?

Thanks for your thoughts.
    Last edited by gbrandwood; 19-02-2008 at 9:09 PM.
    • missile
    • By missile 19th Feb 08, 10:08 PM
    • 10,296 Posts
    • 5,315 Thanks
    missile
    On the screenscraper sites (and all the others too I guess), they ask you to list the claims you've made in say the last 5 years. This is my first bike, so I've not had any claims. However, I've had 3 claims on my car insurance over the last 5 years (none of which are my fault I might add).

My question is simply, do I need to list the claims I've made off my car insurance when applying for my bike insurance?

Thanks for your thoughts.
    Originally posted by gbrandwood
    Unfortunately you do. It seems unfair that one cannot get credit for X years NCD on a car but you do get penalised for a poor history.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
  • fat freddy
    norwich union qouted me £185 to insure my old honda(garden ornement)with £175 exccess, whats that all about, cheapest so far is £70 with hastings
  • fat freddy
    some companys do take into consideration car NCD, just need to find them
  • n0tl0b
    Bennetts sent me a renewal quote of £164 for my fully comp insurance (8 year NCB) on my V-Strom that I use for commuting. I used www.thebikeinsurer.co.uk to get a quote, best of which was £112. Rang Bennetts, told them the best qoute I had and within 5 minutes they undercut it by £1 saving me £53!

A good chain lock and ground anchor are best wherever your bike's stored. RIDE magazine's the best source for what's best value/toughest to break in to. Never been let down by their recommendations.
  • Bob63
    A good chain lock and ground anchor are best wherever your bike's stored. RIDE magazine's the best source for what's best value/toughest to break in to. Never been let down by their recommendations.
    Originally posted by n0tl0b
    Watch this and tell me if you feel the same afterwards

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC3hFr8p2ck
  • peppysheppy
    Who is the cheapest then
    I have seen so much on Google and bikeinsurer has a guarantee that they cant be beaten. I have an R1 Yamaha and the best price I have and went ahead with was with a site called www.simplyinsurance.uk.com/ very helpful not sure how big they are but im happy. Hope this helped I am also going through my credit cards to get my rebate. Thanks to this forum
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

969Posts Today

7,545Users online

Martin's Twitter