Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cherry76
    • By cherry76 15th Jan 20, 6:54 PM
    • 688Posts
    • 78Thanks
    cherry76
    What essentials programmes to install?
    • 15th Jan 20, 6:54 PM
    What essentials programmes to install? 15th Jan 20 at 6:54 PM
    New Dell PC Vostro 3471 windows 10 professional. So far I have installed Microsoft office, ccleaner, adobe and Kaspersky internet security. Is there anything else I should install. Will only use for internet shopping and banking and usual browsing Storage is ssd it is surprising how quickly it fills Thanks
Page 1
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 15th Jan 20, 7:21 PM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 2,409 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 15th Jan 20, 7:21 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 7:21 PM
    Whatever you were using on the old computer and any hardware that it needs, so things like printers, scanners, peripherals that don't work as Plug & Play already...

And maybe a decent internet browser like Firefox or Chrome, as Edge (as comes with Windows 10 by default, not the later one due out today or tomorrow) sucks.
    • that
    • By that 15th Jan 20, 7:29 PM
    • 1,506 Posts
    • 832 Thanks
    that
    • 15th Jan 20, 7:29 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 7:29 PM
    I'd go for paintDOTnet, 7zip, Blueberry Flashback express, Chrome browser (personally I prefer slimjet) and Firefox is also OK, and VLC. Sandboxie (now free). Multiclipboard, but the older free version allows you to store 26 items - search for it http://m8software.com/clipboards/freeclip/freeclip.htm

The weird ones: MacType (https://chocolatey.org/packages/mactype), notepad++, I do not do much with video, but a video editor - something like SVDC, a video converter (Handbrake), Audacity.

personally would remove Kaspersky, and just use the free windows ones, but it is a personal choice.
    • Heedtheadvice
    • By Heedtheadvice 15th Jan 20, 7:57 PM
    • 1,428 Posts
    • 690 Thanks
    Heedtheadvice
    • 15th Jan 20, 7:57 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 7:57 PM
    Macrium Reflect for a recovery disk and great backup facilities in case of disasters;
    Malwarebytes for extra Malware prevention.
    Both the above I consider essential if doing online banking.

Plus for Chrome or Firefox, add ins for adblocking (Ublock origin) and maybe a tracking preventer although built in options seem quite good.

Use of those built in password managers.

Belarc adviser so you can easily find and printout a copy of lots of useful info regarding your PC such as software keys, security fixes installed, list of programs and lots more.

Lotterypredictor Home (free) version.......oh, no that's just my wishlist
    • that
    • By that 15th Jan 20, 8:04 PM
    • 1,506 Posts
    • 832 Thanks
    that
    • 15th Jan 20, 8:04 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 8:04 PM
    Lotterypredictor Home (free) version.......oh, no that's just my wishlist
    Originally posted by Heedtheadvice
    I'll predict the Lottery for you, just pay me 10% of the winnings
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 15th Jan 20, 8:55 PM
    • 9,380 Posts
    • 7,027 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    • 15th Jan 20, 8:55 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 8:55 PM
    Nothing is essential apart from a good backup of the m/c as it is (i.e. a full image), and backup and back up as you go . Define fills up how big is the disk and how much space is there letf?
    Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot
    • J B
    • By J B 15th Jan 20, 9:53 PM
    • 3,658 Posts
    • 1,425 Thanks
    J B
    • 15th Jan 20, 9:53 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 9:53 PM
    New Dell PC Vostro 3471 windows 10 professional. So far I have installed Microsoft office, ccleaner, adobe and Kaspersky internet security. Is there anything else I should install. Will only use for internet shopping and banking and usual browsing Storage is ssd it is surprising how quickly it fills
    Originally posted by cherry76

Adobe what?
    Kaspersky - why?

Just coz an SSD runs quicker, doesn't mean it fills up faster!

Alternative web browsers are a good idea
    Software for your printer?
    Dropbox?
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 16th Jan 20, 8:46 AM
    • 8,697 Posts
    • 8,595 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 16th Jan 20, 8:46 AM
    • 16th Jan 20, 8:46 AM
    Just coz an SSD runs quicker, doesn't mean it fills up faster!
    Originally posted by J B
    If the SSD is smaller than the previous HDD then it will.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • wongataa
    • By wongataa 16th Jan 20, 9:15 AM
    • 1,885 Posts
    • 1,282 Thanks
    wongataa
    • 16th Jan 20, 9:15 AM
    • 16th Jan 20, 9:15 AM
    New Dell PC Vostro 3471 windows 10 professional. So far I have installed Microsoft office, ccleaner, adobe and Kaspersky internet security. Is there anything else I should install. Will only use for internet shopping and banking and usual browsing Storage is ssd it is surprising how quickly it fills Thanks
    Originally posted by cherry76
    Ccleaner is not required - All of the useful features can be easily carried out with the tools built into Windows.

Kaspersy is not required - Built in Defender is perfectly fine.

Adobe is a software company, not a piece of software. I assume you mean Adobe Reader.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 16th Jan 20, 9:26 AM
    • 5,075 Posts
    • 2,995 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Ccleaner is not required - All of the useful features can be easily carried out with the tools built into Windows.

Kaspersy is not required - Built in Defender is perfectly fine.

Adobe is a software company, not a piece of software. I assume you mean Adobe Reader.
    Originally posted by wongataa
    Given the stated usage I'd also remove MS Office. I'm guessing Win10 Pro & Office were sold with the computer, it sounds like they bought way more than they actually need.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 16th Jan 20, 9:31 AM
    • 4,556 Posts
    • 4,114 Thanks
    AndyPix
    I'd go for paintDOTnet, 7zip, Blueberry Flashback express, Chrome browser (personally I prefer slimjet) and Firefox is also OK, and VLC. Sandboxie (now free). Multiclipboard, but the older free version allows you to store 26 items - search for it http://m8software.com/clipboards/freeclip/freeclip.htm

The weird ones: MacType (https://chocolatey.org/packages/mactype), notepad++, I do not do much with video, but a video editor - something like SVDC, a video converter (Handbrake), Audacity.

personally would remove Kaspersky, and just use the free windows ones, but it is a personal choice.
    Originally posted by that

Why on earth would you install all that to do internet shopping, banking and 'usual browsing' ??

Mind = boggled
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 16th Jan 20, 10:24 AM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 2,409 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    7-Zip comes in useful on occasion for some downoads, I have personally never seen the point of multiple clipboards in Windows as I managed to survive with just the one (the fact Windows 10 now supports them is arbituary to myself personally), and as for suggesting Handbrake... yeah let's not go there considering the OP's other posts on this computer
    • that
    • By that 16th Jan 20, 10:27 AM
    • 1,506 Posts
    • 832 Thanks
    that
    Why on earth would you install all that to do internet shopping, banking and 'usual browsing' ??
    Mind = boggled
    Originally posted by AndyPix
    Ok, the the video converter and editor stuff could be overboard, but the rest is legit for me, often much easier to take a screenshot and annotate it, and often I want to record the screen in real time too. Think you might be painting the user into a small box, rather than one which grows?

It is just a suggestion, and I am very sure she is able to work out what she wants and needs
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 16th Jan 20, 10:36 AM
    • 4,556 Posts
    • 4,114 Thanks
    AndyPix
    Think you might be painting the user into a small box, rather than one which grows?
    Originally posted by that

Not really, just looking at what was asked , which was quite specific ..
    I cant see how a user who specified "shopping and banking" - should be offered up handbrake as an 'essential program' lol
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 16th Jan 20, 11:15 AM
    • 6,046 Posts
    • 14,043 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    I cant see how a user who specified "shopping and banking" - should be offered up handbrake as an 'essential program' lol
    Originally posted by AndyPix
    Nor can I. I certainly wouldn't suggest it to my mother, who uses her laptop for the same things as the OP.

One essential program I installed on her computer was teamviewer, so I can log in remotely to fix things, rather than her describing what she sees on the screen to me over the telephone (or worse, me having to drive 120 miles each way to fix it in person). Best thing I ever did in proving my parents with technical support. Obviously its only helpful if one has a person at the other end of a phone call that can provide meaningful assistance using it.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek. Home is where my books are.

5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 16th Jan 20, 11:30 AM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 2,409 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    Teamviewer has an annoying habit sometimes of deciding that you're using it for business/commercial purposes for no obvious reason. There are other solutions that do the same job but some of them require setting up first.

I really like TightVNC (I use it on the odd occasion where I need my desktop to do something but I'm watching something on TV as I use the TV as a monitor so I can control the computer from TightVNC) and I'd like to extend it as a backup to TeamViewer for when I can connect remotely to fix something that's stopped working at the parents house. But I need to set up port forwarding for this and the benefit of TeamViewer is you don't need any of that crap, it just works. Until the software decides otherwise...
    • mksysb
    • By mksysb 16th Jan 20, 11:46 AM
    • 182 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    mksysb
    Keepassx and a note taking app.
    • Chino
    • By Chino 16th Jan 20, 1:25 PM
    • 1,223 Posts
    • 831 Thanks
    Chino
    Edge (as comes with Windows 10 by default, not the later one due out today or tomorrow) sucks.
    Originally posted by Neil Jones
    What specifically about it "sucks"? Or are you just spouting a line you feel it's fashionable to repeat?
    • A.Penny.Saved
    • By A.Penny.Saved 16th Jan 20, 1:50 PM
    • 1,772 Posts
    • 932 Thanks
    A.Penny.Saved
    There are programs that she currently will not use until the day comes when she does require them and then will have to search for something to do the job. 7-Zip is the obvious one but less obvious is HashTab. It can be very helpful to check software is free of Malware. If the OP has downloaded something which she wants to install and the built in antivirus which is usually pretty hopeless IMO, says it is clean. But is it? Virus total will provide a check with all/most available anti-malware software, around 45. The software does not need to be uploaded which takes time and bandwidth, all that is needed is a file hash which HashTab can provide. All integrated into explorer file properties, where there is an extra hashing tab.

Use Sandboxie, you might need some help setting this up to work well. Then run all your internet applications inside a sandbox which keeps any advert malware off your system. Many people have fallen foul of that type of malware, it is a risk of browsing the internet with an none sandboxed browser. Now many browsers are meant to provide some inbuilt sandboxes but I would not trust them because malware writers could always find ways around them IMO. Without proper configuration all files will be saved inside the sandbox rather than where you were saving them.

I am not using Win 10 therefore I do not know what is included by default therefore I cannot make suggestions without risk of being shot down "it's included with win 10!".

Personally I like a clipboard viewer so I know what is in my clipboard, that type of program might be included.
    http://www.freeclipboardviewer.com

A browser would be a good idea. I really dislike microsoft browsers because they are so limited with very little in the way of extensions that I need. I dislike using screens with white backgrounds which are very hard on the eyes. I replace them with dark backgrounds which are far easier to read and far more comfortable. Dark Background and Light Text extension for firefox does that for me very well. A very old version is best IMO but that will not work with current firefox builds. Some people like Opera browser which is a browser that I despise.

Getting/purchasing or using an older hard disk from an older PC inside your newer PC in order to save files and to use as a scratchpad. Does your older PC have a hard drive that you could use?

SSD's should not be continually written to because it wears the memory cells out. Only use the SSD for the Operating system and program installs.
    Last edited by A.Penny.Saved; 16-01-2020 at 2:00 PM.
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 16th Jan 20, 1:53 PM
    • 9,380 Posts
    • 7,027 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    Apenny w10 pro has a sandbox in it
    Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

93Posts Today

1,246Users online

Martin's Twitter