Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Starshine Moonrise
    • By Starshine Moonrise 15th Jan 20, 6:24 PM
    • 13Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Starshine Moonrise
    Foreigner POPLA Appeal Help
    • 15th Jan 20, 6:24 PM
    Foreigner POPLA Appeal Help 15th Jan 20 at 6:24 PM
    Hello and thanks in advance for your help! I am a newbie as I am American and had rented a car for my visit. I received a ticket from Britannia Parking for the standard 100/60 pound deal. I appealed and my appeal was rejected and now I was given a POPLA number.

I parked in a parking lot for a total of 16 minutes. The meter was broken and by the time I asked people how to work the machine and was informed it was broken, I never left the lot and the 16 minutes had passed. When I found out it was broken, I moved the car to another lot. I received the ticket from the rental company. My appeal was denied because it said alternative methods of payment are clearly stated on the signage, by way of calling or using my phone to pay. Now, I didn't have service, as I had an American phone. They also stated there is a 10 minute grace period, I had exceeded.

Can anyone advise me what to do? This is not right. Thank you!
Page 2
    • twhitehousescat
    • By twhitehousescat 15th Jan 20, 6:50 PM
    • 4,550 Posts
    • 5,604 Thanks
    twhitehousescat
    they will not chase you in the US for money not worth it as to legally get it they have to take you to court in the UK , they cannot serve papers on non UK

they cannot go after the money from hire co

please do a realy BAD popla appeal , one that you will loose , that way brittania will have to pay 27 + vat for appeal
    Time pretending I was asleep whilst under his desk , has given me insight to this sordid world
    • Starshine Moonrise
    • By Starshine Moonrise 15th Jan 20, 6:51 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Starshine Moonrise
    Hahaha, if I just state my case in truth, they will think that is a bad appeal. Thank you!
    • twhitehousescat
    • By twhitehousescat 15th Jan 20, 6:54 PM
    • 4,550 Posts
    • 5,604 Thanks
    twhitehousescat
    send a SAR to brittania , enclose photocopy of driving licence and utility bill

be sure to include your full address

happy days
    Time pretending I was asleep whilst under his desk , has given me insight to this sordid world
    • Starshine Moonrise
    • By Starshine Moonrise 15th Jan 20, 6:57 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Starshine Moonrise
    What is a SAR? Now I am confused again. Send this to the email address? Attach to the POPLA appeal? What is the purpose? I'm sorry I'm so new at this.
    • twhitehousescat
    • By twhitehousescat 15th Jan 20, 7:06 PM
    • 4,550 Posts
    • 5,604 Thanks
    twhitehousescat
    subject access request to bruttania , they MUST give all info held about you

if they say no , you kick off as they are actually chasing you , they started it , they knew you were non UK , they tried to scam you even tho you are not legally enforceable

or just sit back , if the hire co charge you , return here we will sort bruttanua for you
    • waamo
    • By waamo 15th Jan 20, 7:47 PM
    • 8,740 Posts
    • 12,218 Thanks
    waamo
    Relax. You are untouchable on the other side of the pond. You've reminded me though my ESTA has expired. I'm going to have to sort one out soon again.
    This space for hire.
    • MistyZ
    • By MistyZ 15th Jan 20, 8:01 PM
    • 1,275 Posts
    • 2,681 Thanks
    MistyZ
    Hahaha, if I just state my case in truth, they will think that is a bad appeal. Thank you!
    Originally posted by Starshine Moonrise
    Actually, given what you've told us about the situation in the car park and the length of the alleged overstay, you would have had a pretty good chance of success at POPLA.

There again, as with all things related to the Private Parking Companies, POPLA is unreliable and some of its decisions make little sense. Just do as advised and all will be well.

You have had a very British experience. Sorry about that.
    • Redx
    • By Redx 15th Jan 20, 8:08 PM
    • 26,806 Posts
    • 35,091 Thanks
    Redx
    Post #5 of the Newbies FAQ sticky thread near the top of the forum has acronym explanations
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • twhitehousescat
    • By twhitehousescat 15th Jan 20, 8:27 PM
    • 4,550 Posts
    • 5,604 Thanks
    twhitehousescat
    Post #5 of the Newbies FAQ sticky thread near the top of the forum has acronym explanations
    Originally posted by Redx
    yes but are they spelt correctly for someone from the USA
    • Starshine Moonrise
    • By Starshine Moonrise 15th Jan 20, 10:14 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Starshine Moonrise
    Thanks everyone for your help!

I cannot find the Newbie FAQ near the top.
    Hahaha, and we say "spelled".
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 15th Jan 20, 10:22 PM
    • 26,600 Posts
    • 43,714 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    Hit your back button to take you back to the forum thread list. Work down from the top of the list and it's there in front of you, one of the first four in the list. Can't still find it? - ask for a refund on the Labrador!

We can (and do) use either. The Queen's English has deteriorated somewhat across the pond since Independence!

I mean the Donald is getting it a bit wrong. Surely he means 'Let's make America great (Britain) again'. Possibly King Harry and Queen Meghan might help y'all!
    Last edited by Umkomaas; 15-01-2020 at 10:27 PM.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day;
    show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • waamo
    • By waamo 15th Jan 20, 10:24 PM
    • 8,740 Posts
    • 12,218 Thanks
    waamo

How can a country that omits perfectly good letters from words suddenly insert way to many in one?
    This space for hire.
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 15th Jan 20, 10:24 PM
    • 19,620 Posts
    • 25,040 Thanks
    KeithP
    Go back to that screen where you found the New Thread button earlier.

You are looking for a thread with NEWBIES in the title.
    It is currently third in the list, but always one of the first four threads.
    • Starshine Moonrise
    • By Starshine Moonrise 15th Jan 20, 10:29 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Starshine Moonrise
    How can a country that omits perfectly good letters from words suddenly insert way to many in one?
    Originally posted by waamo
    Hahaha!

Go back to that screen where you found the New Thread button earlier.

You are looking for a thread with NEWBIES in the title.
    It is currently third in the list, but always one of the first four threads.
    Originally posted by KeithP
    Found it! Thank you!
    • twhitehousescat
    • By twhitehousescat 15th Jan 20, 10:38 PM
    • 4,550 Posts
    • 5,604 Thanks
    twhitehousescat

do you allow unemployed into your country

oh sorry thats canada

(no mbe for me then)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,849Posts Today

6,261Users online

Martin's Twitter