Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Starshine Moonrise
    • By Starshine Moonrise 15th Jan 20, 6:24 PM
    • 13Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Starshine Moonrise
    Foreigner POPLA Appeal Help
    • 15th Jan 20, 6:24 PM
    Foreigner POPLA Appeal Help 15th Jan 20 at 6:24 PM
    Hello and thanks in advance for your help! I am a newbie as I am American and had rented a car for my visit. I received a ticket from Britannia Parking for the standard 100/60 pound deal. I appealed and my appeal was rejected and now I was given a POPLA number.

I parked in a parking lot for a total of 16 minutes. The meter was broken and by the time I asked people how to work the machine and was informed it was broken, I never left the lot and the 16 minutes had passed. When I found out it was broken, I moved the car to another lot. I received the ticket from the rental company. My appeal was denied because it said alternative methods of payment are clearly stated on the signage, by way of calling or using my phone to pay. Now, I didn't have service, as I had an American phone. They also stated there is a 10 minute grace period, I had exceeded.

Can anyone advise me what to do? This is not right. Thank you!
Page 1
    • twhitehousescat
    • By twhitehousescat 15th Jan 20, 6:27 PM
    • 4,550 Posts
    • 5,604 Thanks
    twhitehousescat
    • 15th Jan 20, 6:27 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 6:27 PM
    ok , so the car hire co named you . you accepted and made appeal as DRIVER

great , how much longer are you in the UK for
    Time pretending I was asleep whilst under his desk , has given me insight to this sordid world
    • Starshine Moonrise
    • By Starshine Moonrise 15th Jan 20, 6:28 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Starshine Moonrise
    • 15th Jan 20, 6:28 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 6:28 PM
    I was already home when I received the email.
    • twhitehousescat
    • By twhitehousescat 15th Jan 20, 6:29 PM
    • 4,550 Posts
    • 5,604 Thanks
    twhitehousescat
    • 15th Jan 20, 6:29 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 6:29 PM
    umm , confirm: you are acually back in the USA now
    Time pretending I was asleep whilst under his desk , has given me insight to this sordid world
    • Starshine Moonrise
    • By Starshine Moonrise 15th Jan 20, 6:30 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Starshine Moonrise
    • 15th Jan 20, 6:30 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 6:30 PM
    Yes, in the US.
    • twhitehousescat
    • By twhitehousescat 15th Jan 20, 6:32 PM
    • 4,550 Posts
    • 5,604 Thanks
    twhitehousescat
    • 15th Jan 20, 6:32 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 6:32 PM
    ok , simple as a citizen of the USA and living there they cannot touch you

forget POPLa , write to data protection officer at parking co and update your address

as you have named yourself they cannot to to hire car co for money
    • Starshine Moonrise
    • By Starshine Moonrise 15th Jan 20, 6:35 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Starshine Moonrise
    • 15th Jan 20, 6:35 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 6:35 PM
    They have my address. The rejection letter has my address on it. If I don't pay, the car hire company will charge my credit card for the cost. I think I may just have to pay. It's ridiculous though, as the meter was broken and I was only there for a few minutes trying to figure it out.
    • MistyZ
    • By MistyZ 15th Jan 20, 6:36 PM
    • 1,275 Posts
    • 2,681 Thanks
    MistyZ
    • 15th Jan 20, 6:36 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 6:36 PM
    If your live in the US and are now home, there's virtually nothing Britannia can do. The costs and logistics of pursuing mean it's not worth their while.

You did the right thing in naming yourself as driver in this instance. I'm not sure whether the rental company can / will now pay the PCN and send you the bill + admin costs .... Interested to see what the more experienced members say and hoping that this will be the end of it for you.

Edit: check out what twhitehousecat says above, i.e. that the hire company cannot go after you. I understand that you may want to confirm this for yourself or hear more about the thinking behind this.
    Last edited by MistyZ; 15-01-2020 at 6:39 PM.
    • Starshine Moonrise
    • By Starshine Moonrise 15th Jan 20, 6:37 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Starshine Moonrise
    • 15th Jan 20, 6:37 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 6:37 PM
    The car hire company already charged me a fee for getting the ticket. They said they would reimburse me if I won the appeal, but alas...
    • twhitehousescat
    • By twhitehousescat 15th Jan 20, 6:38 PM
    • 4,550 Posts
    • 5,604 Thanks
    twhitehousescat
    they CANNOT go after the hire co for money if you have named yourself as driver

CANNOT and if they do , then all hell will break out with there regulatory body
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 15th Jan 20, 6:38 PM
    • 26,600 Posts
    • 43,714 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    If the hire company formally passed liability to you by informing the PPC of your name and address, they have discharged any liability they may have had. The PPC cannot now go back to them to demand payment.

Are Britannia writing to your US address?
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day;
    show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • Starshine Moonrise
    • By Starshine Moonrise 15th Jan 20, 6:40 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Starshine Moonrise
    Are you suggesting I should ignore it and it will go away? Won't they send notices and to a collection agency if I don't pay? They are sending me emails directly.
    • twhitehousescat
    • By twhitehousescat 15th Jan 20, 6:40 PM
    • 4,550 Posts
    • 5,604 Thanks
    twhitehousescat
    The car hire company already charged me a fee for getting the ticket. They said they would reimburse me if I won the appeal, but alas...
    Originally posted by Starshine Moonrise
    yes thedee was an admin fee , not much you can do , as by law they had to inform you ,

did the hire co have a UK address or just your US address
    • twhitehousescat
    • By twhitehousescat 15th Jan 20, 6:41 PM
    • 4,550 Posts
    • 5,604 Thanks
    twhitehousescat
    Are you suggesting I should ignore it and it will go away? Won't they send notices and to a collection agency if I don't pay? They are sending me emails directly.
    umm , they are not interpol
    • Starshine Moonrise
    • By Starshine Moonrise 15th Jan 20, 6:43 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Starshine Moonrise
    I don't know what interpol is. I am just stating what happens here if you don't pay a bill.
    I honestly don't remember if the hire company had the address I was staying or not.
    • twhitehousescat
    • By twhitehousescat 15th Jan 20, 6:44 PM
    • 4,550 Posts
    • 5,604 Thanks
    twhitehousescat
    if you do appeal to popla and they dont suss address they (brittania) will be charged 27 + vat

please do a absolutely crap appeal , one that they think they will win

poetic justice
    • twhitehousescat
    • By twhitehousescat 15th Jan 20, 6:45 PM
    • 4,550 Posts
    • 5,604 Thanks
    twhitehousescat
    I don't know what interpol is. I am just stating what happens here if you don't pay a bill.
    I honestly don't remember if the hire company had the address I was staying or not.
    Interpol . euro version of fbi
    • Starshine Moonrise
    • By Starshine Moonrise 15th Jan 20, 6:46 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Starshine Moonrise
    I'm sorry, I don't understand what I should do. According to their "contract", I breached because of the 6 minutes. Are you saying I should do the POPLA appeal? Won't I lose? If I lose, I will have to pay the 100 instead of 60 pounds.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 15th Jan 20, 6:47 PM
    • 26,600 Posts
    • 43,714 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    Who are sending you emails, Britannia or just re-directs via the hire company?
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day;
    show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • Starshine Moonrise
    • By Starshine Moonrise 15th Jan 20, 6:49 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Starshine Moonrise
    The rejection letter email came from Britannia Parking.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,878Posts Today

5,659Users online

Martin's Twitter