Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jamesbcannell
    • By jamesbcannell 15th Jan 20, 6:20 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    jamesbcannell
    Insurance company liability issue
    • 15th Jan 20, 6:20 PM
    Insurance company liability issue 15th Jan 20 at 6:20 PM
    In February 2019 my car was parked on the side of the road as I was attending a job interview. A lorry hit the back of it and unfortunately the lorry driver didn't speak English. I managed to get a photo of his insurance details, registration and drivers licence.

12 months on and i'm still waiting for the insurance company to sort things out. I'm paying an extra £50-ish per month on my insurance until the issue is resolved. Apparently the other insurance company are trying to get the lorry driver to admit liability but he is not responding to their requests. Luckily I got the job and many people I work with witnessed the event or heard of it. Would statements from witnesses help in this situation?

Anyone have any advice on what to do here? I've paid an extra £600 over the last year for something that wasn't my fault.
Page 1
    • Shaun of the Dead
    • By Shaun of the Dead 15th Jan 20, 6:27 PM
    • 362 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    Shaun of the Dead
    • 15th Jan 20, 6:27 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 6:27 PM
    A witness statement wouldn't hurt but then how proactive have you insurance company been?
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 15th Jan 20, 6:52 PM
    • 20,780 Posts
    • 12,869 Thanks
    dacouch
    • 15th Jan 20, 6:52 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 6:52 PM
    Is it a foreign lorry/
    • jamesbcannell
    • By jamesbcannell 15th Jan 20, 7:00 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jamesbcannell
    • 15th Jan 20, 7:00 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 7:00 PM
    Is it a foreign lorry/
    Originally posted by dacouch
    Yeah, Polish
    • jamesbcannell
    • By jamesbcannell 15th Jan 20, 7:01 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jamesbcannell
    • 15th Jan 20, 7:01 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 7:01 PM
    A witness statement wouldn't hurt but then how proactive have you insurance company been?
    Originally posted by Shaun of the Dead
    Well it's taken them nearly a year to send a letter saying what is happening after we have called them 4-5 times.
    • Shaun of the Dead
    • By Shaun of the Dead 15th Jan 20, 7:09 PM
    • 362 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    Shaun of the Dead
    • 15th Jan 20, 7:09 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 7:09 PM
    Well it's taken them nearly a year to send a letter saying what is happening after we have called them 4-5 times.
    Originally posted by jamesbcannell
    I think you can probably chalk that one down to an at fault claim.
    • jamesbcannell
    • By jamesbcannell 15th Jan 20, 8:07 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jamesbcannell
    • 15th Jan 20, 8:07 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 8:07 PM
    They’ve been absolutely awful so nothing would surprise me
    • Mistral001
    • By Mistral001 16th Jan 20, 12:44 PM
    • 4,253 Posts
    • 3,278 Thanks
    Mistral001
    • 16th Jan 20, 12:44 PM
    • 16th Jan 20, 12:44 PM
    Would statements from witnesses help in this situation?
    Originally posted by jamesbcannell
    Witness statements would be very helpful.

Several years ago when the side of my car was crushed by a lorry in a traffic jam,I got the telephone number and name of a witness in a car behind me as it was such an unbelievable situation. It was a bit like one of those youtube videos of a lorry pushing a car in front of it with the driver oblivious to the fact that there was a car there at all.

I got the necessary name and address and insurance details from the lorry driver, but I sensed that he was telling me porkies. The police came on the scene and talked to the driver of the lorry. They were dubious about the lorry driver as well, but were primarily interested in getting the traffic moving again.

From the time the incident happened to the time I drove off from the scene in my battered car was no more than 10 minutes, maybe even as little as 5 minutes.

I cannot remember all the details of the insurance claim, but for a long time I was resigned to having to pay for the damage myself. The police did contact the witness after the accident, so despite their apparent disinterest in my case at the scene they certainly did follow it up. I was successful in my insurance claim.
    Last edited by Mistral001; 16-01-2020 at 12:49 PM.
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 16th Jan 20, 4:48 PM
    • 4,927 Posts
    • 3,159 Thanks
    Car 54
    • 16th Jan 20, 4:48 PM
    • 16th Jan 20, 4:48 PM

Several years ago when the side of my car was crushed by a lorry in a traffic jam,I got the telephone number and name of a witness in a car behind me as it was such an unbelievable situation. It was a bit like one of those youtube videos of a lorry pushing a car in front of it with the driver oblivious to the fact that there was a car there at all.

I got the necessary name and address and insurance details from the lorry driver, but I sensed that he was telling me porkies. The police came on the scene and talked to the driver of the lorry. They were dubious about the lorry driver as well, but were primarily interested in getting the traffic moving again.

From the time the incident happened to the time I drove off from the scene in my battered car was no more than 10 minutes, maybe even as little as 5 minutes.

I cannot remember all the details of the insurance claim, but for a long time I was resigned to having to pay for the damage myself. The police did contact the witness after the accident, so despite their apparent disinterest in my case at the scene they certainly did follow it up. I was successful in my insurance claim.
    Originally posted by Mistral001
    The police should always be disinterested, that’s their job. I think you mean uninterested, or lack of interest.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 16th Jan 20, 6:12 PM
    • 27,546 Posts
    • 27,720 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Originally posted by Mistral001
    Sounds like the issue isn't persuading the insurers of liability, but getting the other insurer to pay.

While the OP's insurer is out of pocket, it's an at-fault claim.
    • sheslookinhot
    • By sheslookinhot 16th Jan 20, 10:58 PM
    • 1,240 Posts
    • 821 Thanks
    sheslookinhot
    You only find out how good your insurance company is when you have a claim. We had an accident recently and while liability has not yet been, agreed my car was repaired within 4 weeks, starting 2 weeks from accident. Sounds like you need to take your custom elsewhere.
    Mortgage Free
    Planning for Retirement
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,229Posts Today

8,052Users online

Martin's Twitter