Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Eddie123
    • By Eddie123 15th Jan 20, 5:13 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 25Thanks
    Eddie123
    Halifax PPI claim advice please.
    • 15th Jan 20, 5:13 PM
    Halifax PPI claim advice please. 15th Jan 20 at 5:13 PM
    Hi all,
    Just wondering if anyone can offer any advice on my PPI claim situation? I had a mortgage taken out in 1992 with a local mortgage company but the actual mortgage was with the Halifax. The mortgage amount was for £45,000 and was paid off in 2008. The lender didn’t,as far as I remember, mention PPI to me and I have always assumed that I didn’t have it. On the off chance on the last day for PPI claims I decided to make a claim. I honestly thought that nothing would come of it as I say PPI was never mentioned when signing up for the mortgage.
    I have received a letter today from the Halifax saying that they have found I did hold PPI on the Mortgage and they are currently investigating it. I am now very happy that I made that claim just “on the off chance” (thanks as ever to this wonderful website). I do however have one concern, Halifax have sent me a questionnaire to fill in but mention that I don’t actually have to return it ??? The questionnaire asks a number of personal questions i.e. What savings I had at the time of taking the mortgage out, employment at the time, employment benefits, health at the time and details of any other insurances etc.
    It looks to me that if I fill in the questionnaire, it may give them a reason to wriggle out of any payment. For example, if I was to answer that I had no savings at the time would they come back with “that’s why we sold you PPI”. I am thinking of just not sending the questionnaire back to them (which they have already said I am not required to do) as I honestly think that my personal circumstances at the time should not affect a claim that hinges on the fact that I was sold PPI without my knowledge.
    Any guidance would be gratefully received, perhaps someone else has had the same dilemma ?
Page 1
    • SonOf
    • By SonOf 15th Jan 20, 5:27 PM
    • 2,218 Posts
    • 2,532 Thanks
    SonOf
    • 15th Jan 20, 5:27 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 5:27 PM
    I have received a letter today from the Halifax saying that they have found I did hold PPI on the Mortgage and they are currently investigating it.
    That is strange as local independents do not use the insurance products of the lenders. However, it is possible that the "local" company you mention may have been an agency of Halifax. They were still around back then.

t looks to me that if I fill in the questionnaire, it may give them a reason to wriggle out of any payment.
    That is completely the opposite of what it does.

For example, if I was to answer that I had no savings at the time would they come back with “that’s why we sold you PPI”.
    You should answer the truth. Not commit fraud to attempt a payout. It is quite common for them to ask you to provide evidence if you say you had sufficient savings.

I am thinking of just not sending the questionnaire back to them (which they have already said I am not required to do) as I honestly think that my personal circumstances at the time should not affect a claim that hinges on the fact that I was sold PPI without my knowledge.
    Expect your complaint to be rejected then.

By not returning the form, they will only have to consider the complaint on the basis of the information they have available. That is likely to be very little to nothing after all these years.

Your complaint reason is unprovable and weak and very few complaints succeed on that point. (they may go on to succeed on other points but not on that particular point)

Any guidance would be gratefully received, perhaps someone else has had the same dilemma ?
    Tell the truth and say that you cannot remember where you cannot. Do not lie or guess unless you make it clear that you cannot recall but it may be xyz.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 15th Jan 20, 5:41 PM
    • 25,356 Posts
    • 14,798 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 15th Jan 20, 5:41 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 5:41 PM
    It looks to me that if I fill in the questionnaire, it may give them a reason to wriggle out of any payment.
    Originally posted by Eddie123
    On the other hand, would not filling out the form at all provide them with an even more compelling reason to reject your "complaint"?

Certainly, if your complaint hinged on you apparently having adequate savings (a year's salary or more would be the figure you'd need) then you should not be surprised to find that you'd need to provide documentary evidence of this.

You say the PPI was simply added without your knowledge and permission, but the mortgage documentation you signed will thoroughly refute this. Basically, you are complaining that you didn't read anything before signing and also that you ignored the subsequent bank statements detailing your PPI as a separate payment each month.

It's a myth, sponsored by Claim Companies, that PPI was routinely added without the knowledge and permission of the customer. Making a complaint on this basis is not provable and generally easily refutable.

Unless the Bank find other things wrong with the sale (and you may be able to assist them in this by filling out the form), I fear your complaint is destined for failure anyhow.

Do realise also that mortgage PPI is a useful insurance still retailed today and that complaints about it therefore have the lowest uphold rate as a consequence.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

89Posts Today

1,197Users online

Martin's Twitter