Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PMW
    • By PMW 15th Jan 20, 5:00 PM
    • 14Posts
    • 1Thanks
    PMW
    Switching from BT for cheaper deal
    • 15th Jan 20, 5:00 PM
    Switching from BT for cheaper deal 15th Jan 20 at 5:00 PM
    I’ve been pondering switching Broadband and line provider for a month or so, as BT are very expensive and my current contract is about to end.

Having done the research and found cheaper deals to replace the Superfast Fibre that I currently have (TalkTalk, Plusnet, John Lewis, EE & Vodafone), am about to opt for one of these - but on checking out a public review site, they all seem to have totally nightmare reviews (in terms of outages, customer services, speed, etc.). Not sure if that’s because the only people who tend to post reviews are those who are really angry and dissatisfied, or because they really are awful.

Also, on the actual switch-over, anyone had any problems?

I’ve been with BT since the beginning of time, and they’ve generally been fine (certainly in recent years I’ve had no problems), so starting to get cold feet about switching. Does a cheaper price come with a worse service, I wonder?

Does anyone have any good or bad experiences with the above providers?

Thanks.

Edited to add that I currently pay £54.99 pm for broadband and landline (with free weekend calls, which I don't really need, as I use my mobile mostly).
    Last edited by PMW; 17-01-2020 at 4:47 PM.
Page 1
    • cranford
    • By cranford 15th Jan 20, 5:40 PM
    • 609 Posts
    • 309 Thanks
    cranford
    • 15th Jan 20, 5:40 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 5:40 PM
    If you switch how long will the lower price last for before you are put on the providers full rate rather that the deal for new customers? Once you work out the savings then you can decide if its worth the hassle. You can of course try and haggle with BT before you leave and haggle /switch again at the end of your new deal.
    • Stompa
    • By Stompa 15th Jan 20, 5:47 PM
    • 7,931 Posts
    • 3,949 Thanks
    Stompa
    • 15th Jan 20, 5:47 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 5:47 PM
    You may well find that once you've instigated a switch, BT will come back to you with a much better offer and you can remain with them!
    Stompa
    • PMW
    • By PMW 15th Jan 20, 6:08 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    PMW
    • 15th Jan 20, 6:08 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 6:08 PM
    Thanks (to both respondents).

Good point about how long the cheaper deal lasts. I suppose the thing is that you're expected to keep moving around - not so easy when we rely on unbroken connectivity so much these days - although I've switched my fuel provider easily and seamlessly.

I was wondering if BT might budge if they know I'm leaving. I suppose, part of the attraction of switching is that you just sign up with a new provider (say via Uswitch) and they do everything from there, so you don't actually have to get involved anymore. But, could be an idea to contact BT to let them know I'm leaving. There is a very big difference in price, so I don't know how much they might budge.
    Last edited by PMW; 17-01-2020 at 4:58 PM.
    • Al Ross
    • By Al Ross 15th Jan 20, 7:23 PM
    • 522 Posts
    • 140 Thanks
    Al Ross
    • 15th Jan 20, 7:23 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 7:23 PM
    I have 3 different accounts with BT,at 3 properties.I alway manage to get a good deal with a threat of leaving and tell them what deal I want,i.e my mate is paying B.T x amount and that is what I want.

Before my contact expires BT now send me an email offering to renew at the same cheap rate and I do.

I pay £21.99 for 80 meg high speed fibre,this includes the landline and free weekend calls.The speed never drops no traffic shaping like Talk Talk and some others do.
    • Paully28
    • By Paully28 15th Jan 20, 9:30 PM
    • 101 Posts
    • 130 Thanks
    Paully28
    • 15th Jan 20, 9:30 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 9:30 PM
    Thanks (to both respondents).

Good point about how long the cheaper deal lasts. I suppose the thing is that you're expected to keep moving around - not so easy when we rely on unbroken connectivity so much these days - although I've switched my fuel provider easily and seamlessly.

I was wondering if BT might budge if they know I'm leaving. I suppose, part of the attraction of switching is that you just sign up with a new provider and they do everything from there, so you don't actually have to get involved anymore But, could be an idea to contact BT to let them know I'm leaving. There is a very big difference in price, so I don't know how much they might budge.
    Originally posted by PMW
    I would try to negotiate with BT. I did this, just by mentioning that i was thinking of leaving at the end of my contract. I went from, what would have been in the region of £120/month, to just over half that at £65/month.
    • littleboo
    • By littleboo 16th Jan 20, 9:32 AM
    • 697 Posts
    • 346 Thanks
    littleboo
    • 16th Jan 20, 9:32 AM
    • 16th Jan 20, 9:32 AM
    You need to consider that switching ISPís is a more complex process than switching energy suppliers (which is just an administrative change) and therefore there is more that could go wrong - some loss of service during the changeover, from minor to manor, or loss of your phone number, if thatís important to you. If you use the ISPís email, then you will eventually loose that or need to pay to keep it. Most people donít have a problem switching, but itís worth adding these factors into the equation. You should also be able to get a cheap or free new router if you negotiate a new package, you donít even need to use straight away but itís helpful to have a spare
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 16th Jan 20, 12:19 PM
    • 4,111 Posts
    • 1,205 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 16th Jan 20, 12:19 PM
    • 16th Jan 20, 12:19 PM
    I would avoid TalkTalk, & John Lewis

EE are ok, but there prices massivly rise after minimum term.

What you should consider is Sky, and NowTV (same company, the latter cheaper)
    • couriervanman
    • By couriervanman 16th Jan 20, 12:25 PM
    • 873 Posts
    • 1,579 Thanks
    couriervanman
    • 16th Jan 20, 12:25 PM
    • 16th Jan 20, 12:25 PM
    Now Broadband super fibre £30 a month,12 month contract,free anytime calls,£70 quidco cashback and average 63mbps(i get 73mbps but live close to a bt cabinet)
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 16th Jan 20, 1:55 PM
    • 13,664 Posts
    • 6,297 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    OP does not say what they are paying nor what services required .
    • couriervanman
    • By couriervanman 16th Jan 20, 3:35 PM
    • 873 Posts
    • 1,579 Thanks
    couriervanman
    OP does not say what they are paying nor what services required .
    Originally posted by JJ Egan
    Well you can guarantee with it being BT..........an arm and a leg
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 16th Jan 20, 6:34 PM
    • 4,111 Posts
    • 1,205 Thanks
    AndyPK
    I to replace the Superfast Fibre that I currently have
    Originally posted by PMW
    BT and Sky don't offer the slower fibre now anyway, do they?
    • bristolleedsfan
    • By bristolleedsfan 16th Jan 20, 6:46 PM
    • 7,983 Posts
    • 9,972 Thanks
    bristolleedsfan
    BT and Sky don't offer the slower fibre now anyway, do they?
    Originally posted by AndyPK

BT offer BT Superfast Fibre Essential Unlimited,Average Speed 36mb

£24.99 per month £19.99 setup costs 24 month contract ( Current January sale price due to end midnight tonight I think and currently also available via Broadband Choices again until Midnight tonight I think)

Often not always available for Cashback site cashback, would work with BT refer a friend --£50 Amazon voucher each
    Last edited by bristolleedsfan; 16-01-2020 at 6:59 PM.
    • PMW
    • By PMW 17th Jan 20, 4:35 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    PMW
    Thanks everyone for all your replies.

Still dithering here. Had some good views on Plusnet, but then some awful ones as well. It does seem to be a bit hit and miss with various companies as to whether something goes wrong, and, as stated, it seems to be more complicated than switching energy companies. I'd hate to be without a service for a while and then encounter various problems.

Someone asked what I pay now, which is £54.99 for broadband & line rental - which is less than BT actually wanted me to pay. They've been hassling me to upgrade for ages to something I don't think I need, for an extra fiver.

They say I can renew with them to keep this fantastic low price(!) when my contract expires in a couple of weeks. I'm not sure what they'd put it up to if I don't renew.

When there are companies that charge less than half this £54.99, I can't justify continuing with this price. But, as someone said, it's worth contacting them to say I'm going to leave to see what they say.
    • couriervanman
    • By couriervanman 17th Jan 20, 4:40 PM
    • 873 Posts
    • 1,579 Thanks
    couriervanman
    Tell them your thinking of joining Now Broadband super fibre 63 for £30 including anytime calls and line rental......and see what they say

The worst that would happen when you switch to most providers is loss of broadband and phone line for a couple of hours on switch day
    Last edited by couriervanman; 17-01-2020 at 4:43 PM.
    • PMW
    • By PMW 17th Jan 20, 4:49 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    PMW
    Just adding another point about the email. I've been switching everything over to my gmail address, so it won't be such a loss to lose the BT email address.

I believe you can keep your phone number.
    • couriervanman
    • By couriervanman 17th Jan 20, 4:50 PM
    • 873 Posts
    • 1,579 Thanks
    couriervanman
    Just adding another point about the email. I've been switching everything over to my gmail address, so it won't be such a loss to lose the BT email address.

I believe you can keep your phone number.
    Originally posted by PMW
    Yes most let you keep your number
    • PMW
    • By PMW 17th Jan 20, 4:53 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    PMW
    To those who have done it, can you nominate your switch over day?

Obviously you don't want to do it just before your contract ends (with the possibility of an early termination bill - which I notice happened to someone else on these threads), but then you don't want to be billed for another month by going past the renewal date either.
    Last edited by PMW; 17-01-2020 at 5:07 PM.
    • Stompa
    • By Stompa 17th Jan 20, 4:55 PM
    • 7,931 Posts
    • 3,949 Thanks
    Stompa
    Someone asked what I pay now, which is £54.99 for broadband & line rental - which is less than BT actually wanted me to pay.
    Originally posted by PMW
    Well FWIW when I instigated a switch from BT, they suddenly came up with an offer of £19.99pm for superfast broadband, landline and anytime calls (including mobile). That was sufficient to tempt me to stay.
    Stompa
    • couriervanman
    • By couriervanman 17th Jan 20, 4:59 PM
    • 873 Posts
    • 1,579 Thanks
    couriervanman
    To those who have done it, can you nominate your switch over day?

Obviously you don't want to do it just before your contract ends (with the possibility of a termination bill - which I notice happened to someone else on these threads), but then you don't want to be billed for another month by going past the renewal date either.
    Originally posted by PMW
    Its normally 14 days.....the last couple of times I've changed it shows the calendar with their switch over date but you can always extend it....ie they tell you the 24th you can change it to 27th
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

31Posts Today

4,465Users online

Martin's Twitter