Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Emerson44
    • By Emerson44 15th Jan 20, 3:43 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Emerson44
    Insurance accepting liability without consent
    • 15th Jan 20, 3:43 PM
    Insurance accepting liability without consent 15th Jan 20 at 3:43 PM
    So my girlfriend has recently been involved in a car crash which wasn't her fault - she was on a roundabout when a car pulled out in front of her cutting her up, and then he slammed his brakes on. As there was no time to react to this my girlfriend started braking but ended up going into the back of him regardless. It was her right of way as she was already on the roundabout, and he was driving recklessly by trying to pull out in front of her at speed. She submitted a statement to her insurers, along with a drawn diagram of the crash. She has denied all responsibility for the crash and rightfully so, however her insurance company have sent her an email saying they have accepted liability for the accident. I was just wondering if there is any sort of law surrounding this and if there is any other avenues we can explore to rectify this. Thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • jaybeetoo
    • By jaybeetoo 15th Jan 20, 3:54 PM
    • 1,142 Posts
    • 640 Thanks
    jaybeetoo
    • 15th Jan 20, 3:54 PM
    If she goes into the back of somebody then she will be assumed to be the guilty party in the absence of witnesses or dashcam evidence.
    • twhitehousescat
    • By twhitehousescat 15th Jan 20, 3:54 PM
    • 4,546 Posts
    • 5,588 Thanks
    twhitehousescat
    yes . it you run into the back of another car , you are at fault

your girlfriend hit them , they did not hit you
    Time pretending I was asleep whilst under his desk , has given me insight to this sordid world
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 15th Jan 20, 4:02 PM
    • 27,546 Posts
    • 27,721 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 15th Jan 20, 4:02 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 4:02 PM
    It's a very similar situation to this thread, and there's going to be a huge degree of crossover between the answers.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6091771
    • foxy-stoat
    • By foxy-stoat 15th Jan 20, 4:49 PM
    • 5,696 Posts
    • 3,533 Thanks
    foxy-stoat
    • 15th Jan 20, 4:49 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 4:49 PM
    The insurers do not need your consent to settle the claim - all you need to do is submit your statement, and any dash camera footage to back up your claims, and witness name and address and they do the rest.

You wont be able to "rectify" this unfortunately, apart from protect yourself in the future with cameras.
    • born again
    • By born again 15th Jan 20, 6:20 PM
    • 1,367 Posts
    • 759 Thanks
    born again
    • 15th Jan 20, 6:20 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 6:20 PM
    Start getting worried when there are 5 injury claims.....

Could easily be a crash for cash scam
    • tanvir
    • By tanvir 15th Jan 20, 6:23 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    tanvir
    • 15th Jan 20, 6:23 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 6:23 PM
    Going through same issue here. And it's frustrating the way insurers act.
    I always thought insurers will do all they can to stop paying but seems here they are ready to payout.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 15th Jan 20, 6:25 PM
    • 27,546 Posts
    • 27,721 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 15th Jan 20, 6:25 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 6:25 PM
    I always thought insurers will do all they can to stop paying but seems here they are ready to payout.
    Originally posted by tanvir
    Because they know that the likelihood of not paying is very slim, and the more effort they put into fighting the unwinnable, the more it'll cost them.
    • tanvir
    • By tanvir 15th Jan 20, 7:11 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    tanvir
    • 15th Jan 20, 7:11 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 7:11 PM
    Because they know that the likelihood of not paying is very slim, and the more effort they put into fighting the unwinnable, the more it'll cost them.
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    But in these cases isn't it just my word against theirs? Why can't they settle at 50/50?
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 15th Jan 20, 8:52 PM
    • 27,546 Posts
    • 27,721 Thanks
    AdrianC
    But in these cases isn't it just my word against theirs? Why can't they settle at 50/50?
    Originally posted by tanvir
    Because it's not simply "your word against theirs", in a situation that could just as easily go either way.

You drove into the back of them.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

101Posts Today

1,373Users online

Martin's Twitter