Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Boywiz
    • By Boywiz 15th Jan 20, 2:50 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Boywiz
    Paying for Services so i can do my job
    • 15th Jan 20, 2:50 PM
    Paying for Services so i can do my job 15th Jan 20 at 2:50 PM
    Hi Not sure if something like this has been answered before but will ask here.

I am an IT consultant for a big-ish firm in London, I have a requirement to understand the three big players Cloud offering, Amazon, Google and Microsoft.

They happily pay for the training and the exam and provide limited functionality environments for us to play in.

I am not a contractor i am a an employee on PAYE

My questions are:
    1. Can i claim some tax relief on travel costs to take the Exam as the company do not cover this?

2. A lot of the functions that i need to keep up to speed with such as complete environment admin of users and security i can not perform in the environments that the company do provide, so if i set up these environments can i claim some relife against these environments bearing in mind there will be 3 of them?

Thanks in advance
    Mo
    No fear but what we make
Page 1
    • Pennywise
    • By Pennywise 15th Jan 20, 3:21 PM
    • 12,507 Posts
    • 25,082 Thanks
    Pennywise
    • 15th Jan 20, 3:21 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 3:21 PM
    As an employee, you can only claim costs which you incur as a requirement of your job. That usually means as required in your contract of employment.

If your employer required you to sit the exams (pretty easy to prove if they paid for the exam fees), then it follows the travel to/from the test centre is an allowable expense. That's pretty generally allowed.

As for other things, then almost certainly not. Unless your employer requires you to set up your own environments out of the workplace. The point is that if they're providing all you need to "do" your job at work, then if you choose to do "extra" outside work, then that's up to you, so not allowable.

What people would usually do (if the employer is receptive), is to go down the salary sacrifice route. I.e. get your employer to pay directly for the equipment/software etc you need, in return for you accepting a lower salary. That way you save both tax and NIC and the employer saves NIC too. It's not "official" and not sanctioned/approved by HMRC but is something that employers/employees across the land informally agree between themselves for modest amounts. Obviously, the equipment belongs to the employer but after a few years will be depreciated to pretty trivial amounts so you could "buy it" for a nominal sum if you or your employer was bothered about the legalities. If you're talking several thousands of pounds, then clearly a different ball park and not suitable for anything informal, but for a laptop and a bit of software, no-one would care!
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 15th Jan 20, 3:24 PM
    • 5,092 Posts
    • 12,658 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    • 15th Jan 20, 3:24 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 3:24 PM
    Hi Not sure if something like this has been answered before but will ask here.

I am an IT consultant for a big-ish firm in London, I have a requirement to understand the three big players Cloud offering, Amazon, Google and Microsoft.

They happily pay for the training and the exam and provide limited functionality environments for us to play in.

I am not a contractor i am a an employee on PAYE

My questions are:
    1. Can i claim some tax relief on travel costs to take the Exam as the company do not cover this?

2. A lot of the functions that i need to keep up to speed with such as complete environment admin of users and security i can not perform in the environments that the company do provide, so if i set up these environments can i claim some relife against these environments bearing in mind there will be 3 of them?

Thanks in advance
    Mo
    Originally posted by Boywiz
    I wouldn't have thought so on either account.

With regards to the travel expenses how much are we talking - a few s to get across London or s to travel to another city?

Similarly I would have thought that if you chose to pay for the access to these environments that would be down to you deciding to make an investment in your future - though couldn't you put together a business case for your employer to pay for this access?
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card / JD Williams cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge
    • Boywiz
    • By Boywiz 15th Jan 20, 3:32 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Boywiz
    • 15th Jan 20, 3:32 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 3:32 PM
    Thanks for the quick reply, on the first point that is awesome. on the second point, this is the thing so a lot os the security policies and organisation policies are set up at the top of the hierarchy of an environment, the environments that are provided are three levels down stopping me from being able to demonstrate, or keep up to date with what change,s so i only have access to half the functionality that i need access too in my role. but maybe i will ask them about Salary Sacrifice.

Thank you for the info
    Mo
    No fear but what we make
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 15th Jan 20, 3:44 PM
    • 10,415 Posts
    • 12,594 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 15th Jan 20, 3:44 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 3:44 PM
    Thanks for the quick reply, on the first point that is awesome. on the second point, this is the thing so a lot os the security policies and organisation policies are set up at the top of the hierarchy of an environment, the environments that are provided are three levels down stopping me from being able to demonstrate, or keep up to date with what change,s so i only have access to half the functionality that i need access too in my role. but maybe i will ask them about Salary Sacrifice.

Thank you for the info
    Mo
    Surely you tell them that??
    • Boywiz
    • By Boywiz 15th Jan 20, 3:45 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Boywiz
    • 15th Jan 20, 3:45 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 3:45 PM
    Well, it costs me 52 - 60 per exam attempt to travel so far i have done 5 exams and there is at least a requirement for another 3 exams this year.

I get the personal investment angle but if it was while you are on project you have access to an environment with budget x to ensure you can demonstrate and talk authoritatively, then that is fine, but the issue is this all takes a fair bit of time to set up each time as well.

Bottom line i am happy to invest in myself but if i was a contractor again i would be able to claim some of this back or at least you use to be able too as i have no need for it in my private life. Just trying to work out what my job costs me so i can budget correctly.
    No fear but what we make
    • Boywiz
    • By Boywiz 15th Jan 20, 3:49 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Boywiz
    • 15th Jan 20, 3:49 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 3:49 PM
    yes, i have told them that, but there is a point where you look for the shortest path to achieve the goal. Have been flagging it since i started this job 7 months ago.

I have to stand in front of customers and give recommendations on best practice, and in the IT game, there is the way the big boys view it should be done and then there is the reality.
    No fear but what we make
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 15th Jan 20, 4:17 PM
    • 10,415 Posts
    • 12,594 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 15th Jan 20, 4:17 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 4:17 PM
    yes, i have told them that, but there is a point where you look for the shortest path to achieve the goal. Have been flagging it since i started this job 7 months ago.

I have to stand in front of customers and give recommendations on best practice, and in the IT game, there is the way the big boys view it should be done and then there is the reality.
    Your goal is to supplement your employer?

"Boss, i cant do this task without having X, Y or Z. How long for you to sort this?"
    • Boywiz
    • By Boywiz 15th Jan 20, 4:43 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Boywiz
    • 15th Jan 20, 4:43 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 4:43 PM
    Your goal is to supplement your employer?

"Boss, i cant do this task without having X, Y or Z. How long for you to sort this?"
    Originally posted by Comms69

ah no way but my goal is that i use it to negotiate my pay rise in 7-8 months if this is what i have to do. I want to be effective, if i can prove this is needed and show and demonstrate the costs then it makes a stronger business case. if they still deny then payrise negotiation and failing that then i look for a new job if it upsets me that much. all in all, it is a good company to work for, just some kinks which sometimes can be hard to get changed. did not want to do this and someone tell me 7 years later you know you could have claimed that back from the taxman.

There are plenty of good points where i work and i will fight the good fight, just trying to understand where i stand.
    No fear but what we make
    • BrassicWoman
    • By BrassicWoman 16th Jan 20, 6:30 AM
    • 2,284 Posts
    • 8,746 Thanks
    BrassicWoman
    You seem to be confusing tools for the job with personal benefit. Just ask the employer to provide what you need. If you need it, they will. If it’s personal preference, they might not.
    May 19 grocery challenge 100.79/ 200
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

91Posts Today

1,244Users online

Martin's Twitter