Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fun4everyone
    • By fun4everyone 15th Jan 20, 2:25 PM
    • 1,974Posts
    • 3,185Thanks
    fun4everyone
    Less places taking Amex?
    • 15th Jan 20, 2:25 PM
    Less places taking Amex? 15th Jan 20 at 2:25 PM
    Purely personal experience this but are less places taking AMEX now? My local restaurant stopped, and my dentist and now the car dealer I use also (no idea if this is a local thing or nationwide).

Am I going to have to switch to stoozing a 0%er some point soon? Retailers appear to be moving away from my favoured cashback card.
Page 1
    • blue.peter
    • By blue.peter 15th Jan 20, 2:30 PM
    • 107 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    blue.peter
    • 15th Jan 20, 2:30 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 2:30 PM
    I haven't noticed any reduction in the number of businesses accepting my AmEx card. There's no firm that I use that has accepted it in the past but no longer does.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 15th Jan 20, 2:32 PM
    • 24,829 Posts
    • 27,727 Thanks
    zx81
    • 15th Jan 20, 2:32 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 2:32 PM
    I find more accept Amex now than did a few years ago.
    • fun4everyone
    • By fun4everyone 15th Jan 20, 2:39 PM
    • 1,974 Posts
    • 3,185 Thanks
    fun4everyone
    • 15th Jan 20, 2:39 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 2:39 PM
    Ok that's good. I did find out that BMW stopped taking it recently the other day which is quite a large change. No idea if national or just the local dealer.
    Last edited by fun4everyone; 15-01-2020 at 2:46 PM.
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 15th Jan 20, 2:42 PM
    • 4,135 Posts
    • 9,597 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    • 15th Jan 20, 2:42 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 2:42 PM
    only my local Indian restaurant has stopped but that seems to be a technology issue - they have to virtually hang the card machine out of the window to take any cc payments. They still featured on the shop small list.
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 15th Jan 20, 3:08 PM
    • 25,777 Posts
    • 13,952 Thanks
    lisyloo
    • 15th Jan 20, 3:08 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 3:08 PM
    I find more places take it now and even on market stalls. Theres a new system (izettle I think?) with white key pads which market traders use now that takes amex.

It’s a bit odd sometimes, certainly in London because if you go to a market (say brixton for example) about half the places will say no cash and the other half will say cash only.
    There have always been small independent businesses like restaurants and dentists that won’t use it because of the charges and they aren’t big enough to negotiate a better rate, but PayPal and izettle have opened up avenues.

You still need a back up.
    • Tallaght
    • By Tallaght 15th Jan 20, 3:17 PM
    • 1,416 Posts
    • 1,243 Thanks
    Tallaght
    • 15th Jan 20, 3:17 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 3:17 PM
    I used to have a blue Amex but there was loads of places that would not accept it including car hire firms.
    • dcfc67
    • By dcfc67 15th Jan 20, 3:35 PM
    • 107 Posts
    • 74 Thanks
    dcfc67
    • 15th Jan 20, 3:35 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 3:35 PM
    Costco used to be Amex only, they now take Visa and Mastercard.
    Which is useful as I got rid of my goldcard before the annual fee kicked in.
    • born again
    • By born again 15th Jan 20, 3:38 PM
    • 1,444 Posts
    • 795 Thanks
    born again
    • 15th Jan 20, 3:38 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 3:38 PM
    only my local Indian restaurant has stopped but that seems to be a technology issue - they have to virtually hang the card machine out of the window to take any cc payments. They still featured on the shop small list.
    Originally posted by MallyGirl
    Odd as it would also effect debit card payments.
    • fun4everyone
    • By fun4everyone 15th Jan 20, 3:52 PM
    • 1,974 Posts
    • 3,185 Thanks
    fun4everyone
    Some government services used to take it iirc (not passport renewals but car tax did), now I don't think anything does on there.
    • Malkytheheed
    • By Malkytheheed 15th Jan 20, 3:54 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    Malkytheheed
    Costco used to be Amex only, they now take Visa and Mastercard.
    Which is useful as I got rid of my goldcard before the annual fee kicked in.
    Originally posted by dcfc67
    Costco were not AMEX only....
    • Abbey1991
    • By Abbey1991 15th Jan 20, 4:01 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    Abbey1991
    *Fewer places
    • CollinT
    • By CollinT 15th Jan 20, 4:09 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    CollinT
    Like the OP, I too have found some places, particularly small businesses who no longer accepting Amex.

My cat's vet in particular, who openly said it was down to the fees Amex charge. They said most people who have an Amex also have a Visa or Mastercard credit card, so they stopped accepting Amex.

Same with my local corner shop, who started accepting Amex when they were given a reduced 'start-up' rate by Amex, but they stopped when they went onto the normal rate. Like the vet they said most people also have a Visa or Mastercard credit card and they had never had a customer who couldn't pay via these methods instead of Amex.

As for large retailers, I have only found B&Q that doesn't accept Amex.

Collin.
    • blue.peter
    • By blue.peter 15th Jan 20, 4:35 PM
    • 107 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    blue.peter
    Ok that's good. I did find out that BMW stopped taking it recently the other day which is quite a large change. No idea if national or just the local dealer.
    Originally posted by fun4everyone
    I think you'll find that it's something determined by the local dealer. They're usually independent companies that operate one to a few franchises.

(My local VW dealer has never accepted AmEx. I think it's the largest business I've come across that doesn't.)
    • smudger1964
    • By smudger1964 15th Jan 20, 4:44 PM
    • 652 Posts
    • 271 Thanks
    smudger1964
    I think you'll find that it's something determined by the local dealer. They're usually independent companies that operate one to a few franchises.

(My local VW dealer has never accepted AmEx. I think it's the largest business I've come across that doesn't.)
    Originally posted by blue.peter
    I was suprised on Sunday ...my local PRIMARK didnt accept it
    • WillPS
    • By WillPS 18th Jan 20, 11:35 AM
    • 338 Posts
    • 167 Thanks
    WillPS
    Costco were not AMEX only....
    Originally posted by Malkytheheed
    Actually they were... the only credit card that could be used at Costco until the start of this month was Amex.

The would accept Visa Debit, Maestro and Mastercard Debit, although in the case of the latter they were quite picky about some of the newer Mastercards out there (Curve caused issues, for example).
    • anticlaus105
    • By anticlaus105 19th Jan 20, 11:42 AM
    • 342 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    anticlaus105
    I haven't seen much change over the years. For a lot of online stuff I can get round it with paypal.
    Last edited by anticlaus105; 19-01-2020 at 11:47 AM.
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 19th Jan 20, 11:54 AM
    • 25,777 Posts
    • 13,952 Thanks
    lisyloo
    I haven't seen much change over the years. For a lot of online stuff I can get round it with paypal.
    Originally posted by anticlaus105
    For those of that g ack a bit, PayPal is recent, it also Izettle Iíve only noticed the last year or 2.
    So going back before PayPal those payment methods have made a difference if you go back that far.
    • ttoli
    • By ttoli 19th Jan 20, 1:24 PM
    • 804 Posts
    • 568 Thanks
    ttoli
    I work for a travel company in Cyprus, the banks here charge the retailer 10% to process Amex transactions, hence we no longer accept Amex.
    • wiseonesomeofthetime
    • By wiseonesomeofthetime 19th Jan 20, 5:52 PM
    • 208 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    wiseonesomeofthetime
    I was suprised on Sunday ...my local PRIMARK didnt accept it
    Originally posted by smudger1964
    I was surprised that my local Primark did!!!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,072Posts Today

6,719Users online

Martin's Twitter