Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Brian Pamo
    • By Brian Pamo 15th Jan 20, 1:26 PM
    • 9Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Brian Pamo
    What size sandblast grit remove vehicle paint from metal?
    • 15th Jan 20, 1:26 PM
    What size sandblast grit remove vehicle paint from metal? 15th Jan 20 at 1:26 PM
    Hi all

I want to titivate and old van at work. Today I used our sandblasting kit (to remove paint and rust from the chassis of the old van) with some grit we found lying around which was size f220 (0.053 millimetres, 53 microns, 0.0021 inches). It sort of did a good job but not enough. I need to get a more harsh grit but donít want to go OTT.

Any advice please?
Page 1
    • A.Penny.Saved
    • By A.Penny.Saved 15th Jan 20, 5:50 PM
    • 1,772 Posts
    • 932 Thanks
    A.Penny.Saved
    • 15th Jan 20, 5:50 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 5:50 PM
    If I was you I would get this thread moved to the Motoring forum where it might get better advice and be seen by people who might know more about this topic.
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=70
    There are currently 839 people viewing that forum compared with only 93 viewing this forum.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 15th Jan 20, 9:49 PM
    • 29,672 Posts
    • 12,195 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 15th Jan 20, 9:49 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 9:49 PM
    Grit did a good job but not enough? Not enough of what?

What surface does the paint medium require?

Probably a 1001 grit mediums, some softer to remove paint from soft materials without marking the surface and others that bite into the surface to key it for painting.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,348Posts Today

5,581Users online

Martin's Twitter