Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • David Aston
    • By David Aston 15th Jan 20, 1:11 PM
    • 1,004Posts
    • 739Thanks
    David Aston
    Strange Linux printing problem
    • 15th Jan 20, 1:11 PM
    Strange Linux printing problem 15th Jan 20 at 1:11 PM
    Hi Guys
    Quite a while ago I made my old Dell dual boot.

(You guys had helped me to upgrade to Windows 7 prior to that.)
    I really don't mind Linux. Just feels slightly rudimentary compared to 7.
    Here's my query. Have got the Linux system to see my Pixma MG6150 via both wifi and the usb port. However, although the test page on the pc asks me to print a test page, and then exactly does that. It will not print a picture, at any price. It says it can see the rear carriage which holds the photo paper. It then says, "printing", while the printer shuffles about a bit, and tells me politely to wait. Then is says "job complete", and the printer returns to it's normal waiting for action position.
    Does anything come to mind with you guys?
Page 1
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 15th Jan 20, 1:14 PM
    • 3,200 Posts
    • 1,606 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    • 15th Jan 20, 1:14 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 1:14 PM
    Why are you using Linux?
    Why are you using Windows 7?
    • arciere
    • By arciere 15th Jan 20, 2:06 PM
    • 986 Posts
    • 598 Thanks
    arciere
    • 15th Jan 20, 2:06 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 2:06 PM
    Why do you have both WiFi and USB? Remove both and re-install the printer, see if that makes any difference.
    • David Aston
    • By David Aston 15th Jan 20, 2:46 PM
    • 1,004 Posts
    • 739 Thanks
    David Aston
    • 15th Jan 20, 2:46 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 2:46 PM
    Thanks for your comments arciere. For years, the printer was connected via the usb connection, as I didn't frankly, understand how wifi worked, and of course didn't need it anyway. However, since starting to faff about with Linux I realised the printer itself was able to help me to use wifi via it's operating panel, and as we speak, the usb is not connected so the test sheet was produced successfully by wifi, or possibly magic as the printer is no longer physically connected to the pc!!!!
    In fairness, the ability to instruct the printer how to adjust print settings, such as contrast etc' is less obviously there, compared to Windows. However, as it won't print pictures anyway, that is academic for the mo'.

So, you are suggesting turning off the wifi via the printer, and then getting Linux to find said printer from scratch?
    • arciere
    • By arciere 15th Jan 20, 3:15 PM
    • 986 Posts
    • 598 Thanks
    arciere
    • 15th Jan 20, 3:15 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 3:15 PM
    So, you are suggesting turning off the wifi via the printer, and then getting Linux to find said printer from scratch?
    Originally posted by David Aston
    To be honest, without being there it's very difficult to even guess what the problem is. But since you are saying that the same printer is connected (or at least has been installed) with WiFi and USB, I would remove all the printers on Linux and then start from scratch. Since the printer is already connected to the WiFi (it seems), leave the USB cable unplugged and check if Linux is able to find any new printer. If it does find the printer, then it should be able to connect to it and install the correct drivers.

Provided that your printer is already connected to your WiFi (and it's not using those 'WiFi Direct' modes), you shouldn't need to do anything from the printer's display.
    • David Aston
    • By David Aston 15th Jan 20, 3:52 PM
    • 1,004 Posts
    • 739 Thanks
    David Aston
    • 15th Jan 20, 3:52 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 3:52 PM
    Thanks for your further comments arciere. Can you tell me how to find out if the printer is using "wifi direct modes"?
    I will have a go at what you suggest. As recently as yesterday, the printer was still producing pictures via Win 7, although at close of play yesterday I had managed to stop that, due I think to my constant tinkering with the connection software, via the printer!
    I'm pretty sure I should be able to get that route working again.
    • arciere
    • By arciere 15th Jan 20, 4:23 PM
    • 986 Posts
    • 598 Thanks
    arciere
    • 15th Jan 20, 4:23 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 4:23 PM
    Thanks for your further comments arciere. Can you tell me how to find out if the printer is using "wifi direct modes"?
    With your phone, get close to the printer and check what WiFi networks you can see. If a printer is in WiFi direct, you should be able to see something like xxxxx-MG6100
    • David Aston
    • By David Aston 15th Jan 20, 4:37 PM
    • 1,004 Posts
    • 739 Thanks
    David Aston
    • 15th Jan 20, 4:37 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 4:37 PM
    Smashing arciere, my trusty samsung s4 shows no indication of any wifi spots, other than the expected. So no wifi direct.
    • mksysb
    • By mksysb 15th Jan 20, 5:04 PM
    • 182 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    mksysb
    • 15th Jan 20, 5:04 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 5:04 PM
    What printer is it and what linux distro? You may need to download some drivers for it.
    • smudger1964
    • By smudger1964 15th Jan 20, 6:39 PM
    • 652 Posts
    • 271 Thanks
    smudger1964
    I run linux mint and my old canon pixma was a pain with it.Had to download new drivers but that was hit and miss,luckily the printer was old so replaced it with a cheap HP printer that worked with linux straight out of the box.HP printers are quite linux friendly
    • psychic teabag
    • By psychic teabag 16th Jan 20, 10:01 AM
    • 2,838 Posts
    • 1,683 Thanks
    psychic teabag
    Have got the Linux system to see my Pixma MG6150 via both wifi and the usb port.
    As others have said, no reason to have two separate connectons to it. OTOH, there's no harm in it. I'd argue that USB is the simpler connection - it's easier for drivers on the computer to take advantage of extra capabilities that way, whereas over wifi it's just a network printer.

Does it appear as two separate printers on the computer end ?

However, although the test page on the pc asks me to print a test page, and then exactly does that. It will not print a picture, at any price. It says it can see the rear carriage which holds the photo paper. It then says, "printing", while the printer shuffles about a bit, and tells me politely to wait. Then is says "job complete", and the printer returns to it's normal waiting for action position.
    can you explain that without using "it" ? it's hard to know whether you mean the computer or the printer in each case.
    • Which 'it' says it can see the rear carriage ?
    • Which "it" says it is printing ?
    • Which "it" says job complete ?

Oh, and I guess what software are you using on the linux end ? Is it an app (in which case it will depend on which distribution you are using), or are you using the CUPS http interface (such as locahost:631) ?

It can be both an upside and a downside that linux has many ways to do the same thing.
    • mksysb
    • By mksysb 16th Jan 20, 11:37 AM
    • 182 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    mksysb
    There's a driver available here. Are you using this one already, or a generic driver?

https://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/products/fax__multifunctionals/inkjet/pixma_mg_series/pixma_mg6150.html?type=drivers&language=en&os=linu x%20(64-bit)
    • David Aston
    • By David Aston 16th Jan 20, 10:18 PM
    • 1,004 Posts
    • 739 Thanks
    David Aston
    Thanks for your further replies guys.
    Sorry psychic,
    The Linux software on the pic says it can see the rear carriage.
    The printer says it is printing.
    The pc says job complete.
    Just one printer showing at the pc end, Canon MG6100 series which is correct.
    I think I am using cups on the pc.
    Is distro, Mint Patricia, ( the Linux version I have)? It shows as ubuntu in my boot section, or are you asking for something different?
    Mksysb, I will have a look at your driver link tomorrow.

Thanks again guys!
    • psychic teabag
    • By psychic teabag 18th Jan 20, 12:10 AM
    • 2,838 Posts
    • 1,683 Thanks
    psychic teabag
    Am I correct in thinking that you can successfully print on regular paper (since you said that you can print a test page from the pc) but the problem is that you cannot print a picture to photographic paper, which is fed into the printer through the rear.

Are you allowed to feed plain paper into the rear, and will it print to that ? (Just to determine whether the problem is photographic paper specifically, or just feeding from the rear tray.)
    • psychic teabag
    • By psychic teabag 18th Jan 20, 12:13 AM
    • 2,838 Posts
    • 1,683 Thanks
    psychic teabag
    as we speak, the usb is not connected so the test sheet was produced successfully by wifi, or possibly magic as the printer is no longer physically connected to the pc!!!!
    Printers can usually be asked to print a test page from their front panel, without involving the pc at all. So it would be worth knowing for sure that the test page was generated by the pc rather than by the printer. (Mentioning "cups" or "linux" on the test page would be a clue ! I happen to have an old test page sitting on my desk which says debian and cups and various details about the driver being used.)
    • David Aston
    • By David Aston 18th Jan 20, 4:26 PM
    • 1,004 Posts
    • 739 Thanks
    David Aston
    Thank you psychic
    The test page does say "cups+Gutenprint v5.2.13", so presumably from the pc.
    Since my last post I have reconnected both the USB and wifi options to the pc, but also,sadly managed to faff about so much that Linux is now no longer seeing the printer, again.
    Haven't tried plain paper in the back carriage yet. And will have to get Linux to "see" the printer again to test that.
    Oddly, I have managed to install Win 10 this morning. I appreciate that isn't relevant to this matter!
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 18th Jan 20, 5:49 PM
    • 3,200 Posts
    • 1,606 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    I'm still confused. Why is it that you don't just use Windows 7/10 for printing?
    • David Aston
    • By David Aston 18th Jan 20, 6:51 PM
    • 1,004 Posts
    • 739 Thanks
    David Aston
    I can use 7 and hopefully 10 for printing. However, as I took onboard the idea that 7 would stop being supported, it seemed reasonable to find out if Linux would do the job instead.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 19th Jan 20, 10:06 AM
    • 3,200 Posts
    • 1,606 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    I can use 7 and hopefully 10 for printing. However, as I took onboard the idea that 7 would stop being supported, it seemed reasonable to find out if Linux would do the job instead.
    So you can just use Windows 10.

But no reason to not have fun getting Linux to work. Good luck.
    • psychic teabag
    • By psychic teabag 21st Jan 20, 2:07 PM
    • 2,838 Posts
    • 1,683 Thanks
    psychic teabag
    Since my last post I have reconnected both the USB and wifi options to the pc, but also,sadly managed to faff about so much that Linux is now no longer seeing the printer, again.
    If you're using USB, it seems unlikely that linux wouldn't be able to see the printer. lsusb at a shell should list all usb devices.

It could be a permissions thing, The udev system typically sets up the ownership of the usb device once it recognises what they are. But these days, systemd may stick its nose in.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,152Posts Today

8,569Users online

Martin's Twitter