Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • seoliver45
    • By seoliver45 15th Jan 20, 1:09 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    seoliver45
    Impact of husbands business loan on me
    • 15th Jan 20, 1:09 PM
    Impact of husbands business loan on me 15th Jan 20 at 1:09 PM
    Hi,

Iím looking for some help by those in the know. My husband has just applied and been accepted for a business loan. This is for a big piece of equipment. He has submitted a business case and has some income from another side of the business which is unrelated to this and very small scale.

Separately to this, we are both employed by other organisations. He applied for he loan on behalf of the business not personally and I was assured the loan would only be tied to the business.

This morning an alert came up on his credit report to say a hard search had been done. I am concerned about the impact of this on his personal finance record but have read this can be the case. I have now been advised that for ĎĎmoney launderingí purposes I need to provide my proof of address and ID. This business is nothing to do with me but my husband has been told it is because we have a joint mortgage although I have in writing it is an unsecured loan and there is no charge on the house.

I donít want to provide any details, I donít want anything on my credit file related to this particularly as we are due to remortgage shortly.

Can anyone advise me if this is standard practice for money laundering and what impact this will have on my own records? Currently Iím standing in the way of my husbandís hopes and dreams!
Page 1
    • TrickyDicky101
    • By TrickyDicky101 15th Jan 20, 2:09 PM
    • 3,362 Posts
    • 2,210 Thanks
    TrickyDicky101
    • 15th Jan 20, 2:09 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 2:09 PM
    I have no particular knowledge of referencing for business loans.

With that out the way, I would share your skepticism that you are required to submit ID details - you are not a party to the loan and doesn't sound like you are being asked to personally 'guarantee' it.

I absolutely would sign nothing from these people.

How much do you trust your husband?
    • Bermonia
    • By Bermonia 15th Jan 20, 2:48 PM
    • 939 Posts
    • 859 Thanks
    Bermonia
    • 15th Jan 20, 2:48 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 2:48 PM
    It does seem strange.

Would recommend asking hubby to review all the paperwork concerned with this to ensure it is as he has stated.

It is possible that they are looking for some form of personal guarantee if they deem this high risk perhaps even a charge over your property if you are homeowners.
    • bris
    • By bris 15th Jan 20, 6:46 PM
    • 8,975 Posts
    • 7,888 Thanks
    bris
    • 15th Jan 20, 6:46 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 6:46 PM
    You are financially linked through the mortgage. It will have an impact on you https://www.experian.co.uk/consumer/guides/financial-association.html
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 15th Jan 20, 6:47 PM
    • 26,350 Posts
    • 13,522 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 15th Jan 20, 6:47 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 6:47 PM
    Bermonia has it spot on - the lender may require a guarantee from your husband. A guarantee is a worthless piece of paper unless secured on something - such as the marital home!
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

8Posts Today

4,313Users online

Martin's Twitter