Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • catgotmytongue
    • By catgotmytongue 15th Jan 20, 12:07 PM
    • 70Posts
    • 3Thanks
    catgotmytongue
    Move from SC to Self Managed DMP?
    • 15th Jan 20, 12:07 PM
    Move from SC to Self Managed DMP? 15th Jan 20 at 12:07 PM
    I have decided to get a grip on my debt. My SC DMP will have me debt free by 2033 and this is not a position I want to be in for so many years. I decided to firstly go down the CCA route first and my biggest two debts have already replied saying the debts are unenforceable. They are already Defaulted and due to drop off my credit report in 2023. If I stop paying, what will be reported on my Credit File? Will it still drop off in 2023? Is there any further action they can take?

In terms of my SC DMP I want to go self managed as I can pay the smallest debts in full, these aren't defaulted. Would I be better to stay with SC until I get all of my CCA replies? Otherwise I can see myself getting in a muddle. Then should I pay the smaller ones if still enforceable. If not, as they are not defaulted, will missed payment markers be added to my Credit File? Then with the remaining debts go self managed.

Grateful for any advice.
Page 1
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 15th Jan 20, 12:23 PM
    • 19,131 Posts
    • 18,057 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 15th Jan 20, 12:23 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 12:23 PM
    Defaults stay on your file for 6 years regardless of what may happen.
    Unenforceable debts usually get put on the back burner, but will still be reported as default until they drop off your credit file.

You can choose what you want to do in self management, if you can pay the smaller debts off without them defaulting all well and good.

It’s really up to you how you run things.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File and Ratings, Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to:
    forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    Any views expressed are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, CitizensAdviceBureaux.
    • Willing2Learn
    • By Willing2Learn 15th Jan 20, 12:24 PM
    • 5,199 Posts
    • 4,840 Thanks
    Willing2Learn
    • 15th Jan 20, 12:24 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 12:24 PM
    I have decided to get a grip on my debt. My SC DMP will have me debt free by 2033 and this is not a position I want to be in for so many years. I decided to firstly go down the CCA route first and my biggest two debts have already replied saying the debts are unenforceable. They are already Defaulted and due to drop off my credit report in 2023. If I stop paying, what will be reported on my Credit File? Will it still drop off in 2023? Is there any further action they can take?
    Originally posted by catgotmytongue
    They cannot take any enforcement action whilst the account remains unenforceable. The account will continue to be marked as defaulted on your credit file, before being automatically removed in 2023 (six years after the default date)
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

• catgotmytongue
    • By catgotmytongue 15th Jan 20, 12:27 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    catgotmytongue
    • 15th Jan 20, 12:27 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 12:27 PM
    OK that's great thanks. I'm now clear about the unenforceable defaulted debts. I can stop paying and concentrate on clearing the enforceable ones.

I will go Self Managed then. Does this take long to sort out as I usually pay SC on the 1st of each month.
    • Suseka97
    • By Suseka97 15th Jan 20, 1:32 PM
    • 884 Posts
    • 972 Thanks
    Suseka97
    • 15th Jan 20, 1:32 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 1:32 PM
    You have time to switch now and stop the 1st Feb deduction being taken. All you need to do is download, or copy, the details on file for all your current debts (balances, references, debt owner etc.) and then simply message, call or email SC to tell them of your intention. It's all really straightforward.

The next step will be to write to your creditors and let them know that from x date you'll be self-managing and assuming you've sent off all the relevant CCA requests - they should have put collection on hold anyway (although they don't always do that). You can then clear those smaller debts as planned and focus on the enforceable ones once you know the position.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,131Posts Today

6,269Users online

Martin's Twitter