Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • vic_brewer
    • By vic_brewer 15th Jan 20, 10:56 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    vic_brewer
    IHT 403 Chargeable transfers
    • 15th Jan 20, 10:56 AM
    IHT 403 Chargeable transfers 15th Jan 20 at 10:56 AM
    My first post to MSE, so I hope this is the correct forum - I’m working through IHT forms for my late dad’s estate. I’m on the schedule about gifts - IHT103. Our situation was that my dad & I lived together from 2005, in his house, and during our time together my dad put the house in our joint names, (back in 2006), and then 6 years before he died, gave me the second half of the house.
    So – my question is: I knew gifts within 7 years of his death were important, but on IHT403 there is box 18: “did the deceased make any chargeable transfers during the 7 years BEFORE THE EARLIEST OF THE GIFTS shown at box 7”. What is a “chargeable transfer”?
Page 1
    • bowlhead99
    • By bowlhead99 15th Jan 20, 11:43 AM
    • 9,803 Posts
    • 17,930 Thanks
    bowlhead99
    • 15th Jan 20, 11:43 AM
    • 15th Jan 20, 11:43 AM
    My first post to MSE, so I hope this is the correct forum - I’m working through IHT forms for my late dad’s estate. I’m on the schedule about gifts - IHT103. Our situation was that my dad & I lived together from 2005, in his house, and during our time together my dad put the house in our joint names, (back in 2006), and then 6 years before he died, gave me the second half of the house.
    So – my question is: I knew gifts within 7 years of his death were important, but on IHT403 there is box 18: “did the deceased make any chargeable transfers during the 7 years BEFORE THE EARLIEST OF THE GIFTS shown at box 7”. What is a “chargeable transfer”?
    Originally posted by vic_brewer
    A chargeable transfer are, broadly, gifts that are immediately chargeable for IHT - rather than exempt transfers (e.g. transfer to spouse) or potentially exempt transfer ('PET' e.g. giving your son or other individual some cash or other assets and hoping you survive 7 years).

Certain transfers into trusts (well, most transfers into trusts these days other than quite a limited range of trust types) can be chargeable rather than PET.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 15th Jan 20, 12:01 PM
    • 32,048 Posts
    • 19,919 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 15th Jan 20, 12:01 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 12:01 PM
    https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/inheritance-tax-manual/ihtm04067

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/inheritance-tax-manual/ihtm04071

https://www.moneywise.co.uk/work/tax/can-i-gift-half-my-house-my-child-cut-inheritance-tax

It may be as well to take professional advice.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,763Posts Today

6,773Users online

Martin's Twitter