Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Golden_Glow90
    • By Golden_Glow90 15th Jan 20, 10:34 AM
    • 55Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Golden_Glow90
    Difficulty making payments
    • 15th Jan 20, 10:34 AM
    Difficulty making payments 15th Jan 20 at 10:34 AM
    So while on maternity leave, I extended my mortgage term a little to save us some money on monthly payments. This was on the advice of a few people who work in the industry as they said if I took a mortgage break, it could affect me later if I needed to remortgage. Now Iím in a position where I canít go back to work at the end of my 39 weeks and have to take the full year which puts us in a difficult position financially but now Iíve been told that because I extended my term, Iím not eligible for a mortgage break now. Anyone have any advice on where I can go from here? Iíve tried making savings wherever possible which has got us through to the end of my paid maternity leave but I hadnít envisaged not being able to return to work for another 3 months (issues with my employer not sorting out my working pattern soon enough for me to arrange childcare).
Page 1
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 15th Jan 20, 10:41 AM
    • 8,036 Posts
    • 11,986 Thanks
    spadoosh
    • 15th Jan 20, 10:41 AM
    • 15th Jan 20, 10:41 AM
    Ive swapped nurseries twice, on both occasions she never missed a session (she went 3 times a week). Im amazed its taking 3 months for you to sort out childcare arrangements.

Id recommend putting up a SOA (statement of affairs) and give the good people on here an opportunity to go over your finances and make suggestions from there.

I think you got terrible advice from those people.
    Don't be angry!
    • Golden_Glow90
    • By Golden_Glow90 15th Jan 20, 4:58 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Golden_Glow90
    • 15th Jan 20, 4:58 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 4:58 PM
    Itís because Iíd secured a nursery but I was waiting for my work to tell me which days Iíd be working but theyíve been awful at sorting it out and since I need to give my nursery 8 weeks notice, Iíve had to push back my start date and get my trade union involved to get work sorted and they said it can take up to 3 months.
    • Jonathan Kelvin
    • By Jonathan Kelvin 15th Jan 20, 6:47 PM
    • 238 Posts
    • 518 Thanks
    Jonathan Kelvin
    • 15th Jan 20, 6:47 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 6:47 PM
    Can you not find another nursery, or use a childminder or nanny?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,789Posts Today

7,061Users online

Martin's Twitter