Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Lellypompom
    • By Lellypompom 15th Jan 20, 8:46 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Lellypompom
    How can I make sure I get my court date
    • 15th Jan 20, 8:46 AM
    How can I make sure I get my court date 15th Jan 20 at 8:46 AM
    Like so many people, I am being pursued by Gladstones Solicitors for a PCN for an offence in October 2018. I have just had the standard "we are going to take you to court if you do not phone and pay" letter. I had a valid parking ticket at the time of the offence, they are claiming it was displayed incorrectly (the tickets are fag paper thin, and it was displayed upside down - the print was visible).
    I am very happy to take this all the way - it is outrageous that the "independant" body one can appeal to is run by the people that also run Gladstones - but I want to be sure that I get a notification of my court date. I have read so many threads where the CCJ has just turned up, and they were never even aware of the court date and the appeals process.
    How can I make sure they send me details of my court date? Registered letter to Gladstones? Any advice would be gratefully received!
    Thanks
Page 1
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 15th Jan 20, 8:53 AM
    • 26,606 Posts
    • 43,724 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 15th Jan 20, 8:53 AM
    • 15th Jan 20, 8:53 AM
    There's no guarantee available, but I'd only concern yourself if you move address in the six years following the date of your PCN. If all correspondence to date from the PPC, any debt collectors and now Gladstones have been received at your current address, then I can't see any reason why a letter sent by the county court business centre in Northampton won't arrive with you similarly - they have no reason not to send it to the correct address.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day;
    show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 15th Jan 20, 9:01 AM
    • 16,422 Posts
    • 17,364 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 15th Jan 20, 9:01 AM
    • 15th Jan 20, 9:01 AM
    Most CCjs issued in absentia are because motorists have moved and not informed the DVLA of their new address. If Gladstones are corresponding with you are your correct address you have little to fear.

For how much are they asking? Have they added an unlawful 60? If so read this,

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6014081

Nine times out of ten these tickets are scams, so consider complaining to your MP., it can cause the scammer extra costs and work, and in some cases, cancellation.

Parliament is well aware of the MO of these private parking companies, many of whom are former clampers, and on 15th March 2019 a Bill was enacted to curb the excesses of these shysters. Codes of Practice are being drawn up, an independent appeals service will be set up, and access to the DVLA's date base more rigorously policed, persistent offenders denied access to the DVLA database and unable to operate.

Hopefully life will become impossible for the worst of these scammers, but until this is done you should still complain to your MP, citing the new legislation.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2019/8/contents/enacted

Just as the clampers were finally closed down, so hopefully will many of these Private Parking Companies.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • waamo
    • By waamo 15th Jan 20, 9:11 AM
    • 8,749 Posts
    • 12,224 Thanks
    waamo
    • 15th Jan 20, 9:11 AM
    • 15th Jan 20, 9:11 AM
    If you move make sure you have postal redirection in place. Also make sure everyone knows your new address.
    This space for hire.
    • Lellypompom
    • By Lellypompom 15th Jan 20, 9:35 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Lellypompom
    • 15th Jan 20, 9:35 AM
    Thank you!
    • 15th Jan 20, 9:35 AM
    Thanks for these quick replies - it has put my mind at rest.
    They have added I think more than 60 - the original charge was 60 - they now want 175 to settle. I plan to take it as far as I can - I have just made a data subject access request - a solicitor friend said that would tie them up with paper work, and as they are pretty much a roboclaim firm, they will probably not do it, and then they are in breach of the data regulations. Anything to gather evidence of what they are doing wrong!
    • BrownTrout
    • By BrownTrout 15th Jan 20, 9:39 AM
    • 984 Posts
    • 1,522 Thanks
    BrownTrout
    • 15th Jan 20, 9:39 AM
    • 15th Jan 20, 9:39 AM
    A Sar will have no effect on a claim
    • nosferatu1001
    • By nosferatu1001 15th Jan 20, 9:42 AM
    • 6,299 Posts
    • 8,355 Thanks
    nosferatu1001
    • 15th Jan 20, 9:42 AM
    • 15th Jan 20, 9:42 AM
    Who did you send the request to?
    If its solicitors you wont be tying them up, theyll send along the lamost-zero documentation THEY currently hold about you.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 16th Jan 20, 3:08 AM
    • 80,775 Posts
    • 95,442 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 16th Jan 20, 3:08 AM
    • 16th Jan 20, 3:08 AM
    They have added I think more than 60
    Originally posted by Lellypompom
    No, they haven't. The false sum is 60.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT UNLESS IN SCOTLAND OR NI
    TWO Clicks needed Look up, top of the page:
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,079Posts Today

6,636Users online

Martin's Twitter