Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Danger_Mouse
    • By Danger_Mouse 15th Jan 20, 8:32 AM
    • 47Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Danger_Mouse
    Sky Q Multi-room
    • 15th Jan 20, 8:32 AM
    Sky Q Multi-room 15th Jan 20 at 8:32 AM
    Hi,

Im looking to install a tv on the wall in my new house and get Sky Q multi-room. I've read some older articles that say you need to have Sky broadband to work with the minibox, is this still the case?

Also, does the minibox just require a power supply and HDMI? I dont want wires showing so thinking the best option is to have the main box in another room (where the tv isnt on the wall) and the minibox in the main room where the tv is on the wall and wallmount the minibox behind the tv?
Page 1
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 15th Jan 20, 9:12 AM
    • 5,094 Posts
    • 2,999 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 15th Jan 20, 9:12 AM
    • 15th Jan 20, 9:12 AM
    Hi,

Im looking to install a tv on the wall in my new house and get Sky Q multi-room. I've read some older articles that say you need to have Sky broadband to work with the minibox, is this still the case?

Also, does the minibox just require a power supply and HDMI? I dont want wires showing so thinking the best option is to have the main box in another room (where the tv isnt on the wall) and the minibox in the main room where the tv is on the wall and wallmount the minibox behind the tv?
    Originally posted by Danger_Mouse
    If you have Sky BB then you'll enable the WiFi hotspot feature on the boxes which may help with other devices connecting but any BB works otherwise as normal. It was never ever the case that they only worked with Sky BB.

They use WiFi to connect (any WiFi) so power and HDMI is all that's needed. As long as they can pick up a WiFi signal (they use the 5GHz range BTW, or at least the main box does so I presume that applies to the mini boxes).

Just make sure that putting the mini box behind the TV doesn't interfere with either the WiFI or the remote signal. Heat may be an issue as well depending on what exactly you're going to do with the mini box.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 15th Jan 20, 2:27 PM
    • 25,360 Posts
    • 14,812 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 15th Jan 20, 2:27 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 2:27 PM
    They use WiFi to connect (any WiFi) so power and HDMI is all that's needed. As long as they can pick up a WiFi signal (they use the 5GHz range BTW, or at least the main box does so I presume that applies to the mini boxes).
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    If Wi-FI proves problematical, Home Plugs are a (wired ) alternative...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,185Posts Today

5,539Users online

Martin's Twitter