Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • admiral_traveller
    • By admiral_traveller 14th Jan 20, 10:23 PM
    • 28Posts
    • 36Thanks
    admiral_traveller
    0 WOW
    Family travel insurance - son aged 18?
    • 14th Jan 20, 10:23 PM
    0 WOW
    Family travel insurance - son aged 18? 14th Jan 20 at 10:23 PM
    Hello, I wasn't whether to post this in the Holiday forum or the Insurance forum, so please forgive me if I have made the wrong choice!

Our son is currently 17 and will be turning 18 whilst we are away on holiday. Shortly after our family holiday he is planning on going abroad with some friends. So my questions are:
    Can I take out an annual family travel insurance which will a) still cover him once he turns 18 and b) would give him cover on his second holiday alone (ie. without mum and dad)?

I have searched a few travel insurance sites and got some quotes but none of them are able to answer my queries. I can contact a few of them by phone tomorrow to ask, but in the meantime I thought I would post a question here to see if anyone could clarify it for me.

Many thanks in advance
    a_k
    "Try to look after the pennies - the pounds will look after themselves" - wise words from an old uncle ...
    SPC 10 - 068
Page 1
    • admiral_traveller
    • By admiral_traveller 15th Jan 20, 2:45 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    admiral_traveller
    • 15th Jan 20, 2:45 AM
    • 15th Jan 20, 2:45 AM
    Thanks.

If it wasn't for the fact it was nearly 10.30pm when I posted my question, then of course I would ring some up (and indicated so in my post).
    I just thought it might be an idea to ask a question here to see if perhaps someone else may have been in a similar position who might be able to offer some advice and perhaps even suggest which companies to approach.

Or have I misread your reply ... are you recommending a company called "Ffs"? If so, I would be grateful for their contact details.
    "Try to look after the pennies - the pounds will look after themselves" - wise words from an old uncle ...
    SPC 10 - 068
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 15th Jan 20, 4:11 AM
    • 20,514 Posts
    • 47,623 Thanks
    peachyprice
    • 15th Jan 20, 4:11 AM
    • 15th Jan 20, 4:11 AM
    We were in the same position last year. I called my insurance company who confirmed that my daughters cover would run out on her 18th birthday, half way through our holiday and she wouldn't be covered from that point. I took out an annual policy in just her name.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • admiral_traveller
    • By admiral_traveller 15th Jan 20, 2:19 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    admiral_traveller
    • 15th Jan 20, 2:19 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 2:19 PM
    We were in the same position last year. I called my insurance company who confirmed that my daughters cover would run out on her 18th birthday, half way through our holiday and she wouldn't be covered from that point. I took out an annual policy in just her name.
    Originally posted by peachyprice

Thanks for that - I had a suspicion that might be the case! It's only for a short-break weekend - we leave the day before his birthday and come home the day after - so I might have to do both types of policy to cover him!

Aside from that, it's a bit odd that the first reply to my post (from a different person) seems to have disappeared .... perhaps the person who advised "Ffs call the company" had second thoughts about the tone of their reply and deleted it ...?
    Last edited by admiral_traveller; 15-01-2020 at 6:12 PM.
    SPC 10 - 068
    • jaybeetoo
    • By jaybeetoo 15th Jan 20, 3:50 PM
    • 1,142 Posts
    • 640 Thanks
    jaybeetoo
    • 15th Jan 20, 3:50 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 3:50 PM
    Nationwide covers children up to 21 if they live at home and are in full time education otherwise it stops at 18.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,330Posts Today

6,124Users online

Martin's Twitter