Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Stiller123
    • By Stiller123 14th Jan 20, 9:04 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Stiller123
    Britannia Parking BW Legal, Appealed
    • 14th Jan 20, 9:04 PM
    Britannia Parking BW Legal, Appealed 14th Jan 20 at 9:04 PM
    Hi,
    Been reading all the posts and threads and may have missed the boat a bit here but appreciate any advice. Was focused on job hunting, applications and interview preperation at the time as I was advised my role was being made redundant end of December.

In a nutshell.
    19/10/19 - Parked at pub which our hockey club use for their match teas (and have done since 2008).
    Car park now managed by Britannia
    29/10/19 - Received a PCN from Britannia for 'Failing to make a valid payment' requesting 100, (discounted to 60 if paid in 14 days). Given 29 days to pay.
    18/11/19 - Received final reminder which stated 'if notice is ignored it will be passed to debt recovery agent and 60 added'. Comment on letter quotes "if you are wishing to appeal and still within 28 days, please do not make any payment".
    19/11/19 - Submitted appeal to Britannia on the basis I had paid for the car parking, (and a team mate had validated my recollection that I'd paid).
    22/11/19 - Appeal rejected in email, stating that the ticket purchased had expired and then telling me the appeal process was now over.
    22/11/19 - Sent further email requesting time I bought the ticket, the ticket expiry time & the time I then left the car park according to their records.
    27/11/19 - Received email with times of ticket but nothing about cost
    10/12/19 - Received final reminder letter. Comment on letler quotes "if you are wishing to appeal and still within 28 days, please do not make any payment". Also suggests 60 will be added.
    06/01/20 - Receive letter from Britannia stating 'account' passed to legal team.
    06/01/20 - Receive letter from BW legal requesting payment of 'balance due' of 160 by 20/01/20
    06/01/20 - Receive a partial voicemail from BW with part of a number, call them back and get told it's a 'dialer system'
    14/01/20 - Receive same partial voicemail

Wish I'd had more time to do some research when I got the first letter but i can't change the past. Really don't want to pay these guys given what they put so many people through.
Page 1
    • Redx
    • By Redx 14th Jan 20, 9:07 PM
    • 26,776 Posts
    • 35,032 Thanks
    Redx
    • 14th Jan 20, 9:07 PM
    • 14th Jan 20, 9:07 PM
    at the moment its irrelevant what you want to do , only what you can do

did BRIT issue a popla code with the rejection of your initial appeal ?

or did they say the time to appeal it had lapsed ?

do you have the paid for ticket ?
    if you do , check the VRM entry on it
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • Stiller123
    • By Stiller123 14th Jan 20, 9:11 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Stiller123
    • 14th Jan 20, 9:11 PM
    • 14th Jan 20, 9:11 PM
    Hi Redx, their email response to the appeal included a POPLA code. At the bottom of the email they say I had now 'reached the end of their internal appeals process'.
    • Redx
    • By Redx 14th Jan 20, 9:18 PM
    • 26,776 Posts
    • 35,032 Thanks
    Redx
    • 14th Jan 20, 9:18 PM
    • 14th Jan 20, 9:18 PM
    correct , meaning you had to use an external appeal process called popla

did you appeal to popla ? if not , why not ?

doesnt say this in your timeline in post #1 by the way, you completely missed out that part , plus , do you still have that paid for ticket with your times and VRM on it ?
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • Ss2020
    • By Ss2020 14th Jan 20, 9:45 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Ss2020
    • 14th Jan 20, 9:45 PM
    • 14th Jan 20, 9:45 PM
    Hi
    Sorry to hijack, just a quick question. I found the template for the first appeal on the NEWBIE post. Is there a specific time within the 28 days you should reply or do it straight away? Cheers
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 14th Jan 20, 9:47 PM
    • 19,592 Posts
    • 24,984 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 14th Jan 20, 9:47 PM
    • 14th Jan 20, 9:47 PM
    Hi
    Sorry to hijack, just a quick question. I found the template for the first appeal on the NEWBIE post. Is there a specific time within the 28 days you should reply or do it straight away? Cheers
    Originally posted by Ss2020
    That very same NEWBIES post also tells you when to send your appeal.

Answer: it depends.
    • Stiller123
    • By Stiller123 14th Jan 20, 9:50 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Stiller123
    • 14th Jan 20, 9:50 PM
    • 14th Jan 20, 9:50 PM
    Hi Redx
    No, i was expecting the continuation of dialogue with BP before they 'concluded' my appeal, and it wasnt mentioned on any further correspondence. Also as i mentioned i didnt spend enough time reading this forum at the time.

I binned the ticket before i received the first PCN annoyingly.
    • Redx
    • By Redx 14th Jan 20, 9:57 PM
    • 26,776 Posts
    • 35,032 Thanks
    Redx
    • 14th Jan 20, 9:57 PM
    • 14th Jan 20, 9:57 PM
    they deliberately let it time out because you did not understand the process, too late now but ask for advice on here if any more arrive , from amyone , dont go it alone and ont leave it either

in future , keep those parking receipts for say 6 months , dont bin them , why ? read this posted on MSE a few years ago

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/team-blog/2017/05/throwing-pay-display-ticket-away-use-cost-100/

nothing you can do now but await a formal 30 day LBC and then an MCOL court claim from the CCBC in Northampton

POPLA was the time to kill this off, but that ship sailed a couple of months ago

ps:- you mentioned a lot but I am breaking it down to salient bullet points only , getting to the crux of the matter , filtering out the white noise
    Newbies !!
    • Ss2020
    • By Ss2020 14th Jan 20, 10:04 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Ss2020
    • 14th Jan 20, 10:04 PM
    • 14th Jan 20, 10:04 PM
    So when you said it depends, you meant it depends if it was windscreen ticket? Mine was a postal
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 14th Jan 20, 10:06 PM
    • 19,592 Posts
    • 24,984 Thanks
    KeithP
    So when you said it depends, you meant it depends if it was windscreen ticket? Mine was a postal
    Originally posted by Ss2020
    Ss2020, if you want to discuss your issue further, please start a thread.

But yes, that's what I mean.
    • Redx
    • By Redx 14th Jan 20, 10:06 PM
    • 26,776 Posts
    • 35,032 Thanks
    Redx
    no need to wait then, unless it was at a port , airport or railway station car park or road

if you need further help, please start your own thread using the new thread button
    Newbies !!
    • Stiller123
    • By Stiller123 15th Jan 20, 9:34 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Stiller123
    So do you think I should wait rather than pay the fine etc now?
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 16th Jan 20, 2:59 AM
    • 80,677 Posts
    • 95,217 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Where do you see the NEWBIES thread call it a 'fine' (it's not) or suggest paying?

PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT UNLESS IN SCOTLAND OR NI
    TWO Clicks needed Look up, top of the page:
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,229Posts Today

8,052Users online

Martin's Twitter