Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ader1
    • By Ader1 14th Jan 20, 8:50 PM
    • 420Posts
    • 57Thanks
    Ader1
    Followed a course in Health and Safety
    • 14th Jan 20, 8:50 PM
    Followed a course in Health and Safety 14th Jan 20 at 8:50 PM
    I am actually a HGV driver. But I asked a visiting manager if I course to develop myself as one or two others at the company were getting what seemed all the training. I was soon offered to do the NEBOSH General Certificate in Health and Safety. I did the course in the company of mangers and engineers. Apparently around half failed by I somehow passed. Anyway, it looks like I'll be asked to do some Health and Safety Work for a couple of days every month. I'm not sure how feasible that is. It really interests me and I would like to develop myself further in this area. As such I'm thinking of next following a Diploma course. I haven't spoken to the manager who offered me the course as yet as he hasn't visited our branch lately but will do soon. There are a few things I would like but no sure if I should ask for them when I meet him. These are:

1.Further development ie funding to do the Diploma as a distance course.

2.Should I ask for my job title to be changed to reflect my new additional duties?

3.A pay increase?

The pay doesn't bother me that much but the experience and further development and for my cv to reflect this is I feel important. What do you people think I should say to him when I meet him?
Page 1
    • eamon
    • By eamon 15th Jan 20, 6:26 PM
    • 1,948 Posts
    • 1,418 Thanks
    eamon
    • 15th Jan 20, 6:26 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 6:26 PM
    Yes you should push for your new skills to be formally recognised in your contract of employment and perhaps in brackets alongside or below your main job title. If there is extra money even better.
    • JayRitchie
    • By JayRitchie 15th Jan 20, 8:50 PM
    • 362 Posts
    • 359 Thanks
    JayRitchie
    • 15th Jan 20, 8:50 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 8:50 PM
    I would prioritise the experience and the formal training. See how that goes - if you are asked to do more H+S work that would be the time to discuss T+Cs.
    • theoretica
    • By theoretica 15th Jan 20, 9:02 PM
    • 6,139 Posts
    • 7,606 Thanks
    theoretica
    • 15th Jan 20, 9:02 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 9:02 PM
    Remember to thank the manager- its a nice way to introduce the topic and how enthusiastic you are about it.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 15th Jan 20, 9:25 PM
    • 40,433 Posts
    • 37,936 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 15th Jan 20, 9:25 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 9:25 PM
    Are you in a union? I ask because in some workplaces, the union will have a role to play in Health and Safety, and there will be a nominated H&S rep. You might get further development opportunities that way.

If you're not, I'd definitely join. Doesn't matter if the employer recognises a union or not. You may find them useful if you have to raise H&S issues on a regular basis which your employer doesn't want to deal with. ;-)

Union finder
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!
    • Ader1
    • By Ader1 15th Jan 20, 9:48 PM
    • 420 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    Ader1
    • 15th Jan 20, 9:48 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 9:48 PM
    Are you in a union? I ask because in some workplaces, the union will have a role to play in Health and Safety, and there will be a nominated H&S rep. You might get further development opportunities that way.

If you're not, I'd definitely join. Doesn't matter if the employer recognises a union or not. You may find them useful if you have to raise H&S issues on a regular basis which your employer doesn't want to deal with. ;-)

Union finder
    Originally posted by Savvy_Sue

No I am not a member of a union. It doesn't appear they recognise a union.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 15th Jan 20, 10:05 PM
    • 40,433 Posts
    • 37,936 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 15th Jan 20, 10:05 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 10:05 PM
    No I am not a member of a union. It doesn't appear they recognise a union.
    Originally posted by Ader1
    Doesn't matter. If they initiate disciplinary action against you because you raised H&S issues they didn't want to deal with, you'll be glad you did. Don't wait until you NEED them.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

53Posts Today

3,664Users online

Martin's Twitter