Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • thebullsback
    • By thebullsback 14th Jan 20, 7:27 PM
    • 429Posts
    • 48Thanks
    thebullsback
    Tracked at work
    • 14th Jan 20, 7:27 PM
    Tracked at work 14th Jan 20 at 7:27 PM
    Hi all, my Employer ( A very Large National organisation) Has issued several of us with a smartphone on whichwe will recieve jobs that need doing ect.
    Thing is that the device also Tracks the person.
    How does this sort of thing stand ??
    Keep in your thoughts the poor Beasts of burden around the World and curse All who do them harm.
Page 2
    • custardy
    • By custardy 15th Jan 20, 12:52 PM
    • 35,241 Posts
    • 29,928 Thanks
    custardy
    My brother-in-law works for Royal Mail and the new generation PDA's they will be getting can be tracked. Employees aren't too happy but there's not much they can do about it.
    Originally posted by TELLIT01
    Your BIL is a little behind the times.
    PDA 'actuals' is on this gen of PDAs its live and has been for many months.
    Trimble monitors vehicles and PDAs monitor the full time they are logged in.
    • Jsacker
    • By Jsacker 15th Jan 20, 9:14 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    Jsacker
    Actually for once you aren't quite right on this. Under the ICO the definition of personal data is anything that can identify an individual - so for a computer logon it could be logon account or IP address.
    Originally posted by Ozzuk
    Cheers for clarifying. This is what I thought as well after reading the GDPR guidelines in a fair amount of depth, but some of the responses to my post seemed convinced that I was wrong I'd still invite Blatchford to provide some evidence to the contrary, though, as there could be something which is being overlooked. It does seem that data which pinpoints the location of a specific person at a specific time is their personal data.

IMO the tracking isn't illegal, however as you can likely identify the individual (or what would be the point) then it would indeed be personal data. This isn't an issue though, it would be very easy for the company to supply a reason why they needed this data, and it would need to be included in the company privacy policy and staff should be made aware (and give consent). There is also provision under GDPR that you must make it easy to not give consent - but the counter would be no consent, no employment.
    Fully agree. I think you've said what the ICO would have told the poster had they followed my advice and spoken to them Sometimes just having that conversation can re-assure someone on what the company can and cannot do in terms of personal data, assuming that the poster had that concern of course.
    Last edited by Jsacker; 15-01-2020 at 9:22 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,174Posts Today

8,343Users online

Martin's Twitter