Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SlaveToMyCats
    • By SlaveToMyCats 14th Jan 20, 7:08 PM
    • 9Posts
    • 1Thanks
    SlaveToMyCats
    Salary Sacrifice into NEST
    • 14th Jan 20, 7:08 PM
    Salary Sacrifice into NEST 14th Jan 20 at 7:08 PM
    I am considering making additional contributions to a NEST pension on a salary sacrifice basis, as I will save a significant amount of tax. I also some way below the size of pension pot I should have at my age.

Is there anything to beware of with NEST? The 'contribution fee' seems very high, and I worry this will mean that I have to leave money in there for some time before moving out into a SIPP. The contribution fee is obviously still a lot less than I'd pay in tax if I didn't contribute the money to NEST.
Page 1
    • JoeCrystal
    • By JoeCrystal 15th Jan 20, 5:28 AM
    • 2,100 Posts
    • 1,516 Thanks
    JoeCrystal
    • 15th Jan 20, 5:28 AM
    • 15th Jan 20, 5:28 AM
    While the contribution fees are high, the annual management charge is 0.3% which is better than many pension schemes charges like 0.75%, for example for default funds in auto-enrolment schemes.

But the benefits you get from salary sacrifice will outweigh the charges, especially if the employer shares their NI savings.
    • Albermarle
    • By Albermarle 15th Jan 20, 10:01 AM
    • 2,237 Posts
    • 1,473 Thanks
    Albermarle
    • 15th Jan 20, 10:01 AM
    • 15th Jan 20, 10:01 AM
    I am considering making additional contributions to a NEST pension on a salary sacrifice basis,
    AS NEST is presumably your workplace pension , then you have no choice if you want to benefit from the salary sacrifice arrangement.
    Is there anything to beware of with NEST? The 'contribution fee' seems very high, and I worry this will mean that I have to leave money in there for some time before moving out into a SIPP. T
    The fee structure does mean it is better to leave the money there for a few years to get a low average fee.
    For what reason would you want to move the money to a SIPP ?
    • SlaveToMyCats
    • By SlaveToMyCats 16th Jan 20, 1:38 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    SlaveToMyCats
    • 16th Jan 20, 1:38 AM
    • 16th Jan 20, 1:38 AM
    My logic is simply that nest seems like a bad deal vs Vanguard etc.

But the arguement that the platform fee is quite low maybe means I can simply leave it where it is. After all I'll have paid the contribution fee already!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,712Posts Today

8,012Users online

Martin's Twitter